"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 299 80.59%
Leave them as they are 72 19.41%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #151
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed up the Courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
The opposite is true.
Yeah great that they're slowing indoor surfaces so-called 'Edberg fan'
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #152
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
can anybody explain why the courts are slow today?
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...1&postcount=39

Basically what happened in the 90s was especially at Wimbledon and the indoor events, it wasn't serve/volley tennis a lot of the time it was serve tennis. In one of the Wimbledon finals the ball was in play on average for 5 strokes. It was turning people away.

So they made the hardcourts slower, using a bigger heavier ball, clay isn't as slow, but there are only so many things that can be done within a natural surface, use a lighter ball. Grass composition at Wimbledon is different, therefore you have much less diversity than before.

Naturally it took time for the impacts of homogenisation to happen, not sure they expected to go too much to the other side. It was hilarious watching the clay guys looking like idiots on fast grass and clay clowns as well.

They don't get tested anymore with the surface changes, they can adjust it now if they want as the game has been secured.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #153
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...1&postcount=39

Basically what happened in the 90s was especially at Wimbledon and the indoor events, it wasn't serve/volley tennis a lot of the time it was serve tennis. In one of the Wimbledon finals the ball was in play on average for 5 strokes. It was turning people away.

So they made the hardcourts slower, using a bigger heavier ball, clay isn't as slow, but there are only so many things that can be done within a natural surface, use a lighter ball. Grass composition at Wimbledon is different, therefore you have much less diversity than before.

Naturally it took time for the impacts of homogenisation to happen, not sure they expected to go too much to the other side. It was hilarious watching the clay guys looking like idiots on fast grass and clay clowns as well.

They don't get tested anymore with the surface changes, they can adjust it now if they want as the game has been secured.

Yes i remember back in the 90s many of the clay morons would skip Wimbeldon altogether. Corretja,Bruguera maybe
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #154
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

I want the courts to be sped up but not before Djokovic eats more and more into Nadal and Federes Grand Slam tally. If Djokovic reaches 10 then all right speedening up can happen. Because Nadal has benefited the most from the homogen of the courts. Let Djokovic end the circle Nadal has started then we have all the time for justice.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #155
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoj View Post
Yes i remember back in the 90s many of the clay morons would skip Wimbeldon altogether. Corretja,Bruguera maybe
It was this and the seedings issues where Wimbledon danced to its own tunes, this is why you have 32 seeds instead of 16, because these guys were upset with it so they took holidays during the event.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #156
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Also the French needs slowing down! get some normal balls for god,s sake!
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #157
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the problem for me is that events feel an individual pressure of homogenisation by the nature of the calender. For example, last year Tokyo was blisteringly quick, and Shanghai was insanely slow.

Federer whined about Shanghai, end result it changed for this year to a medium/fast (not an anti-Fed comment, just what happened).

Tokyo decided to be better prep for Shanghai, they needed the same surface. They're now much more medium.

End result: both more towards the middle.

You see the same all over the calender - only really the slams have any independent movement on this (perhaps also Miami/IW, because they sit together and alone in the calender). So many events are competing for players, and as preparation for bigger forthcoming tournaments is one method of appeal.

The only answer imo is for the ITF/ATP to sort out the calender into distinctive and logical sections, so events of similar speed are clustered together and don't feel that homogenising pressure. Slow hard court section, we have that with Aus>IW>Miami. Fast hard court = US summer. Indoors .... all quick.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #158
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone longing for fast surfaces should watch the Eckental challenger this week. Superfast court = All tiebreak snooze fest.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #159
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
Anyone longing for fast surfaces should watch the Eckental challenger this week. Superfast court = All tiebreak snooze fest.
Shit comparison. Challenger players are poor returners to say the least, the ATP level is a whole different plate.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #160
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

as i type there have been 11 completed sets in Eckental today and just 2 tiebreaks.

the one match I watched backed up why I'd like to see more quick surfaces. Zverev back to his old net-rushing ways and even hitting winners from the baseline.

(I should say the match I *tried* to watch because the stream is dreadful)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #161
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Shit comparison. Challenger players are poor returners to say the least, the ATP level is a whole different plate.
Not all of them. But I agree somewhat with your statement.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #162

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
as i type there have been 11 completed sets in Eckental today and just 2 tiebreaks.

the one match I watched backed up why I'd like to see more quick surfaces. Zverev back to his old net-rushing ways and even hitting winners from the baseline.

(I should say the match I *tried* to watch because the stream is dreadful)
5 tiebreaks in the whole tourney so far. That's 10 matches with 3 of them going 3 sets.

Yeah, tiebreaks everywhere.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #163
country flag bjurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
That is partly a coincedence (considering how few service breaks there have been, there should have been more tiebreaks) and partly due to the fact that out 10 players in action, only one can be considered a big server (possibly Beck too).
Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
That is partly a coincedence (considering how few service breaks there have been, there should have been more tiebreaks) and partly due to the fact that out 10 players in action, only one can be considered a big server (possibly Beck too).
Holy shit Batman.
Can you spell "double standards"?

So only big servers count now? I thought the surface was intergalactic fast.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #165
country flag bjurra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Holy shit Batman.
Can you spell "double standards"?

So only big servers count now? I thought the surface was intergalactic fast.
What I am saying is that with big servers, Eckental is unwatchable. Hence I dislike the surface.