Pat Cash: Djokovic is better than Federer at his best - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
country flag HarryMan

HarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pat Cash: Djokovic is better than Federer at his best

Metro recently pubished an excert from Cash about his thoughts on Djokovic and his season. Here’s the complete article. According to Cash, the Serbian is already better than Federer at his best. Now this is where I beg to differ.

There is no doubt in my mind that Djokovic has had a sensational year, and deserves every credit he has got so far, however, it is still not even one year of domination that we are talking about. Let’s look at the figures at the end of the year. Now assuming Djokovic goes on to win the remaining tournaments this year, that still wouldn’t give us a definite answer. All we can derive from it would be that Djokovic’s 2011 is greater than Federer’s 2004 and 2006. But is that enough to consider someone the best ever? Certainly not. Federer had an unbelieveable 2004, a great 05, an outstanding 06 and an excellent 07. That is four dominant years compared to Djokovic’s one.

I think we are too early to judge and should rather spend this time enjoying the emergence of Djokovic as a world beater rather than comparing him to argubly the greatest player in tennis. Taking nothing away from Djokovic, Federer, this year, is still his worst match up, so I would definitely give Federer the edge, had the two played against each other in their absolute prime. That is a separate debate however worth taking into consideration as well.

What do you think about this? Do you think Djokovic is already better than Federer? Do share your views, here.
HarryMan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pat Cash: Djokovic is better than Federer at his best

What is he smoking? I want some of that.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
country flag guyha4

guyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond repute

looooooooooooooooooooooooooool he's crazy!!

TT Doubles :
winner: Fergana CH 2011(w/ KittyTennis) , Marbella CH(w/Tal20)
guyha4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
country flag coonster14

coonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond reputecoonster14 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope I disagree, Federer this year has still been Nole's biggest challenge, and this is a player whom some MTF'ersnowadays refer to as 'Declinerer', just imagine what 'Peakerer' would have done.

Nole has had a sensational 2011, 10-1 against Fedal, but let's see if he can keep this up for another 2-3 years.

For me, Peakerer > any other player (except against Rafa on clay)

Also supporting: Rusty, Pics, Nalby, Nando, Baggy, Kei, Isner, Blake, Kolya, Berdych, Richie, Soderling, Gil

Ana - Wozzy - Vika - Kimmy - Makiri

AGASSI,RAFTER,SAFIN
coonster14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
country flag peRfect-Tennis

peRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah ridiculous Cash comment, 1 slam wonder and his punditry skills are of the same mould.

Follow me on Twitter: @peRFectTennisUK
peRfect-Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
country flag teacherling

teacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond reputeteacherling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryMan View Post
Metro recently pubished an excert from Cash about his thoughts on Djokovic and his season. Here’s the complete article. According to Cash, the Serbian is already better than Federer at his best. Now this is where I beg to differ.

There is no doubt in my mind that Djokovic has had a sensational year, and deserves every credit he has got so far, however, it is still not even one year of domination that we are talking about. Let’s look at the figures at the end of the year. Now assuming Djokovic goes on to win the remaining tournaments this year, that still wouldn’t give us a definite answer. All we can derive from it would be that Djokovic’s 2011 is greater than Federer’s 2004 and 2006. But is that enough to consider someone the best ever? Certainly not. Federer had an unbelieveable 2004, a great 05, an outstanding 06 and an excellent 07. That is four dominant years compared to Djokovic’s one.

I think we are too early to judge and should rather spend this time enjoying the emergence of Djokovic as a world beater rather than comparing him to argubly the greatest player in tennis. Taking nothing away from Djokovic, Federer, this year, is still his worst match up, so I would definitely give Federer the edge, had the two played against each other in their absolute prime. That is a separate debate however worth taking into consideration as well.

What do you think about this? Do you think Djokovic is already better than Federer? Do share your views, here.
While I agree with your analysis in general, I still believe that Cash was right in saying that Federer had a considerably weaker field during his prime years. However, your point about the duration of Federer's reign as compared to Novak's splendid one year run cannot be disputed. Thanks for a balanced post.
teacherling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
country flag HarryMan

HarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond reputeHarryMan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherling View Post
While I agree with your analysis in general, I still believe that Cash was right in saying that Federer had a considerably weaker field during his prime years. However, your point about the duration of Federer's reign as compared to Novak's splendid one year run cannot be disputed. Thanks for a balanced post.
Thanks teacherling. Federer, indeed, did not have competition like Djokovic has currently, I agree. Because let's face it, usually, it is tough being the number one player in the world, and having players at number 2 and 3 respectively, who have won in total 25 slam titles between them.

That doesn't happen everyday.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
country flag vince_volley

vince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond reputevince_volley has a reputation beyond repute

bold statement. come back in a few years and we will see.
vince_volley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote