Why was (is) Federer such a bad matchup for Roddick? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
country flag oomph
Banned!

oomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why was (is) Federer such a bad matchup for Roddick?

Yeah, obviously he is a better player, but players worse than Roddick have a better head to head with Federer than him.

What is it?
oomph is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why was (is) Federer such a bad matchup for Roddick?

For the most part he was.

But oomph, look at it this way.

During Wimbledon 09, for the first time in his career, Roddick's backhand down the line clicked. 80% of the times on hardcourt and other surfaces, he would hit the net, and would never get those easy put aways. But during Wimbledon, when he fixed that, it did some severe damage to Federer on the rallies. Not to mention, Roddick out rallied Federer in that Wimbledon 09 when he fixed his backhand consistency as well.

The major problem outside of that though, was Roddick's inability to return Federer's serve. For this reason, given that Roddick is among the worst returners, he never had hope to begin with against Federer.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Yes normally Federers serve was (is) more effective vs Roddick than Roddicks serve is against Federer. That kinda trumphed his biggest weapon. Add to that he had better movement and was superior in pretty much every aspect of the game. He could take the ball early and put Roddick under pressure right away or just wait him out or do whatever he liked.

I think Roddick has always been better when he could play on his own terms and he used to have a pretty big forehand actually. Federer never really let him play the matchup on his own terms though and no matter what Roddick tried he had a better answer.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Because Fedclown is superior to Duck in every respect - even serve in that particular match up:

Serve - Federer wins here because Duck sucks at returning and Fed returns Duck's serve unusually well, mainly because it's all pace and shit disguise.
Forehand - LOL
Backhand - both are backhand clowns, but the geezer has more variety+better slice
movement/defense - obvious
mental - Olderer by virtue of winning so matches, so he doesn't expect to lose to Rodmug at any time
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
country flag oomph
Banned!

oomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond reputeoomph has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Because Fedclown is superior to Duck in every respect - even serve in that particular match up:

Serve - Federer wins here because Duck sucks at returning and Fed returns Duck's serve unusually well, mainly because it's all pace and shit disguise.
Forehand - LOL
Backhand - both are backhand clowns, but the geezer has more variety+better slice
movement/defense - obvious
mental - Olderer by virtue of winning so matches, so he doesn't expect to lose to Rodmug at any time
What did I say? HE'S SIMPLY BETTER doesn't cut it as there are worse players than Roddick that didn't get Roflstomped every opportunity
oomph is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly because Federer was by far the best at blocking back big serves in their primes. Roddick likes to use his big serve to stay ahead and be able to put enough balls in play on his opponent's serve to get wins. Against Federer, he can't do either. Federer takes the initiative early and wins most of the rallies and Roddick doesn't have nearly as many easy serve games as he likes to feel comfortable in this match up. And defeat and defeat starts to wear on you after a while, even for a fighter like Roddick.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechlan View Post
Mainly because Federer was by far the best at blocking back big serves in their primes. Roddick likes to use his big serve to stay ahead and be able to put enough balls in play on his opponent's serve to get wins. Against Federer, he can't do either. Federer takes the initiative early and wins most of the rallies and Roddick doesn't have nearly as many easy serve games as he likes to feel comfortable in this match up. And defeat and defeat starts to wear on you after a while, even for a fighter like Roddick.
/thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

That's because although they're worse players than Roddick, they usually have better groundstrokes. Roddick beats them because his serve dominates their serve.

If you're going to beat Federer, you have to do it with groundstrokes.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is a bad matchup for anyone not called Nadal. He is a great player. It's very simple.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Federer can block back huge serves. People with decent ground strokes can take advantage of blocked returns, but Roddick has pretty shitty ground strokes. Without his serve, for most of Roddick's peak he would have be a been a top 15-30 player, not top 10 or top 5 or higher. Fed effectively neutralizes the good part of his game, and each rally would start either on Federer's serve or a neutralizing return.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has a harder time returning Nadal's serve in contrast to Roddick, for the obvious reasons..........Roddick's placement is in almost the same exact spots each and every time with the occasional body serve......at least with Nadal he'll go for the line, the middle, or out wide. As simple as that.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
Federer has a harder time returning Nadal's serve in contrast to Roddick, for the obvious reasons..........Roddick's placement is in almost the same exact spots each and every time with the occasional body serve......at least with Nadal he'll go for the line, the middle, or out wide. As simple as that.
Olderer has huge problems with low pace serve with extreme spin to backhand.

Duck's serve hardly carry any spin and are all pace and predictable at that. Thus, he finds all his serves blocked back at him and the rally starts at neutral on almost every point. Federer vs Roddick in a rally, we all know who will win those.

The only anomaly was Wimbledon, where Olderer was outplayed in rallies, but literally served Duck off court. Hit something like 50 aces, ridiculous stuff.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #13
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
Wait, what? Did I really read this right? From the matches I have seen Nadal serves to the Federer BH at least about 90% of the time... I am not sure about this mix up you speak of from Nadal.
And its not just Federer, Nadal serves around 80% of his serves to any players BH side... its actually quite funny to see him do that constantly to the Djoko BH and get burned... and when he tries serving to the FH side he either DFs or throws on in the middle of the box...

I am sorry but as much as I think Roddick SUCKS... Roddick still has better placement on his serves than Nadal...
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Due to Federer's block return basically. Roddick's serve is big but the placement isn't exactly the best. Good returners block it back deep and their superior groundstrokes do the rest.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal!
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #15
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to the blocked returns it seems that Federer was one of the first to be able to reliably read Roddick's serve.
moon language is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote