Was all the Criticism about Nadals physical,grinidng style null? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was all the Criticism about Nadals physical,grinidng style null?

This is not the 80s. Players have access to the best training methods ever. Injuries that used to end careers can now be treated. Nadal's grinding style is bad for the body but he gets away with it because of the advances made in the field of sports science.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
The problem with Rafa's style of play is the same it's always been. When he's facing someone like Murray here in Tokyo, Nole, Federer in London last year, Tsonga at the AO 2008 for examples, he's got a very, very hard time changing the course of the match because they can just overpower him and his topspin. His physicality, well, he's a bull physically but even today you can sense he getting fatigued by the end. And eventually all the running he does catches up to him and guys who can hit sharp shots deep on a consistent basis can break Rafa down.

Difference in slams is that Rafa's so physical that it's hard to keep playing on point offensively for a 5-set match for several hours. Therefore, Rafa is a lot more vulnerable outside of slams than in them.
Yup.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #18
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalwon2012 View Post
If Nadal hasn't already put a nail in the coffin of those critics he definitely will soon as he continues to rack up the slams. Djokovic is the only player who can stop him, yet Djokovic is struggling to beat Federer in the slams and struggling with his own body. So I'd say the Nadal critics are walking tight rope right now. History will beckon if Nadal wins multiple slams in 2012.
How is Novak struggling to beat Federer in majors, lol? Man, I'm tired of stupid people on this board. If I remember correctly he beat him 2 times this year in majors (AO, USO) and only lost at RG. You are struggling with your brain, lol.

Last edited by Alex999 : 10-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
How is Novak struggling to beat Federer in majors, lol? Man, I'm tired of stupid people on this board. If I remember correctly he beat him 2 times this year in majors (AO, USO) and only lost at RG. You are struggling with your brain, lol.
Well he's certainly not finding it easy to beat him. I'll give you the AO, as it was a 3 setter even though each was relatively tight, but obviously given that after that match Fed won at RG. Then he went 2-0 up at the USO and certainly played a part in his own demise after that although of course Nole fought well. In comparison to any other of his slam opponents this year, Nole has struggled against Federer. It's not stupid to say so.

Regarding the original question of the thread, the reports of Rafa's demise have been greatly exaggerated. In the first half of the year he reached the final of every tournament he played apart from Doha and the AO. He still won a slam this year and if Nole hadn't suddenly started playing so much better than he used to then we may be looking at another 3-slam year for him. Don't forget that his achievements aren't just dependent on his own form. Next year he's still going to be very much in the running to win every slam and to get #1.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Well His physical grinding style remains intact and somewhat efficient but the Top guys are working this talentless physical freak finally. Now its upto good old Federer to follow the suit and dump the Naduller once for ever.

Tennis is being saved.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

You can't blame them. Plenty of players that were based mainly of physical strength and endurance have burned out quickly in the past (Courier, Chang, etc). Of course Nadal is on a different level, but you can't blame those including myself, thinking that his career would slow down much faster than it did. In fact, in a way it has and his many "injuries" have some merit as I thought he was playing better overall tennis in 2008 from May to August than 2010 despite the fact he won the three slams in 2010.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
country flag nadalwon2012
Banned!

nadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond reputenadalwon2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Not sure what planet you are on, but:
2010 US Open, Federer had 2 matchpoints.
2011 Aust Open, Djokovic won in 3 tight sets.
2011 Roland Garros, Federer won in 4 sets.
2011 US Open, Federer had 2 matchpoints.

Djokovic barely beat Federer at the 2 US Open meetings, was incredibly close, and Federer was on top in each match. And the other 2 meetings were split. So, that is a major hurdle for Djokovic each time he faces Federer in a slam semi. It would surprise nobody if Federer beat Djokovic in 2 or 3 slams next year. The only convincing slam win Djokovic has had over Federer this year was in Australia, but even then it was close in each set.
nadalwon2012 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalwon2012 View Post
Not sure what planet you are on, but:
2010 US Open, Federer had 2 matchpoints.
2011 Aust Open, Djokovic won in 3 tight sets.
2011 Roland Garros, Federer won in 4 sets.
2011 US Open, Federer had 2 matchpoints.

Djokovic barely beat Federer at the 2 US Open meetings, was incredibly close, and Federer was on top in each match. And the other 2 meetings were split. So, that is a major hurdle for Djokovic each time he faces Federer in a slam semi. It would surprise nobody if Federer beat Djokovic in 2 or 3 slams next year. The only convincing slam win Djokovic has had over Federer this year was in Australia, but even then it was close in each set.
People ignore these things. Thanks for pointing this out. Glad to know I'm not the only one who shares a similar view on this matter.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #24
country flag merryploughbhoy

merryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond reputemerryploughbhoy has a reputation beyond repute

Its simple, nadal was only ever going to last a few years at his peak with the way he plays, now its taken it out of him. Its the begining of the end for nadal, Murray out fought, out classed and out lasted him today by a long way, he actually made him look silly in the 3rd set. How the mighty have fallen....
merryploughbhoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryploughbhoy View Post
Its simple, nadal was only ever going to last a few years at his peak with the way he plays, now its taken it out of him. Its the begining of the end for nadal, Murray out fought, out classed and out lasted him today by a long way, he actually made him look silly in the 3rd set. How the mighty have fallen....
Murray has done this to him before at a small tournament.

Why can't he do this to Nadal at the slams?

Please stop this mighty have fallen spiel...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #26
country flag shiaben

Murray also defeated Federer 3x in a row or something at small tournaments like these 250s, 500s, 1000 masters etc. and Federer stomped on him at the Australian Open. People keep parroting this nonsense.