Player/Coach Changes (Murray splits with Lendl) - Page 51 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #751
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player/Coach Changes (Stani/Lundgren split, Toni/Rafa speculation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
He does. At least in the extracts I've seen. Nole Fan (I think) quoted a long passage about his "strategy" against Djokovic - the gist of which was, there was no strategy except to play exceptionally well, reminding me of T.S. Eliot's, "The only 'method' is to be very intelligent." Anyway, in that extract, every 3rd sentence was "Toni says this" & "Toni thinks that".
You mean this?

Quote:
"A year younger than me, Djokovic was a hell of a player, temperamental but hugely talented. Toni and I had been talking about him and I'd been watching him in my rearview mirror, looming closer, for a while now. He'd been racing up the rankings, and I had a strong feeling that he would be neck and neck with me before too long, that it would not just be me, but me and him, against Federer. Djokovic has a strong serve and was fast and wiry and strong -often dazzling- on both forehand and backhand. Above all, I could see he had big ambitions and a winner's temperament".

"On the flight to Barcelona from Montecarlo, where I won the title, another passenger asked me whether there were any serious rivals for me out there, beyond Federer. I didn't hesitate to reply. "Novak Djokovic", I said. "He'll be challenging us hard in a couple of years' time". Already he has been giving me trouble. He'd already won a Grand Slam in January that year, the Australian Open, at the age of twenty. Everybody still had their eyes on Federer and me, but we both knew Djokovic was the up-and-coming star and that our dual dominance was going to be more at risk from him than from any other player. Disconcertingly, he was also younger than me. This was something new. This younger guy was now beating me, and even when I won, he was giving me very tough games. Federer would presumably retire before I did, assuming injury didn't do me in. Djokovic would be dogging me right to the end of my career, trying everything to jump ahead of me in the rankings".

A strong and fit Djokovic was a formidable opponent. Our match (USO 2010 final) didn't have quite the same aura as another Federer-Nadal battle, at least as far as crowds were concerned, but for me the challenge was quite daunting enough. He is a very complete player -more complete, Toni says, than I am- without any obvious weak points, and on hard surfaces, such as the one at Flushing Meadow, he'd beaten me more times than I had beaten him. His greatest strengths are his excellent sense of positioning on the court and his ability to hit the ball early, on the rise. He is as good on the backhand as on the forehand, and his vision of the ball is so sharp that he plays with time to spare, more often than not inside the court, narrowing the angles for his opponents, making the game a lot easier for himself.

With Federer, the rule is always to keep patiently plugging away, knowing you'll force him sooner or later to make mistakes. With Djokovic, there is no clear tactical plan. It is simply a question of playing at your very best, with maximum intensity and aggression, seeking to retain control of the point, because the moment you let him get the upper hand, he is unstoppable.

My impressions were confirmed as I watched his semifinal against Federer on TV, which Djokovic won after saving two match points. I thought, not for the first time, "What and incredibly tough and talented guy!". I also thought how hard it was going to be to beat him. When I watch the top players on video, I often have the feeling that they're better than me. In my case it's probably got a lot to do with Toni, who's conditioned me to believe from childhood that every match is going to be an uphill battle.

(A whole chapter is dedicated to the USO final) The secret lies in being able to do what you know you can do when you most need it. Djokovic is a fantastic player -more naturally gifted than I am, in Toni's view- but in a Grand Slam final, decided over the best of five sets, nerves and stamina count as much as talent. As for the stress of a US Open final, I'd won eight Grand Slams to his one, and that gave me the confidence of knowing that I could take it on at least as well as he. Another thing going for me was that his track record showed that he flagged physically in longer matches. He had never beaten me in a best-of-five match. He was, it was true, a player who had dazzling moments, but I was playing steadily, the diesel engine was purring. I sensed that if I won the third set, he'd be left feeling as if he had a mountain to climb.

Whatever happened next, I'd leave the game of tennis one day as someone who'd been important in the sport, as one of the best, and hopefully -for I thought this too at my moment of triumph- as someone who people considered a good person.
Novak Djokovic -or 'Nole' as i call him, as do his fans, friends and family- is all these things already. Extraordinarily gracious at a moment so bitter for him, he didn't wait for me at the net but came over to my side of the court and embraced me, congratulated me on what I had done.

In the presentation ceremony Nole was the first to speak, and once again, he behaved with great class, showering praise on me and thanking absent friends. he showed himself to be the most dignified of losers and a credit to our sport. I also made a point of acknowledging Nole's attitude in defeat, and what a great example he set to kids everywhere. I said I was sure he'd be winning this trophy very soon, as I am sure he will continue to be a fearsome rival in the years to come.
One thing is clear though: Rafa is a really sweet kid and humble to the core. I had always suspected his humility was fake, but after you read his book you realise it was forced upon him since he was very little. That also created his insecurities which he has plenty. But he's a transparent person. I don't think he's faking anything.
Now I understand why Toni criticized the way Nole and his team celebrated after the win in Madrid. Rafa confesses that they have never celebrated a single title with his family, it goes against Toni's rules. Yeah, very normal.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nş2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #752
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #753
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's the one.
is is crazy fdor a player to talk strategy with his coach? Of course if Nadal does it it is.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #754
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa doesn't need a new coach, he needs a sports psychologist. He just can't beat Nole, not because his game is too bad, I mean.. he beats EVERYONE else with his game, so it can't be that.. it's a mental block in his head, he needs to be confident again.

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #755
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
Rafa doesn't need a new coach, he needs a sports psychologist. He just can't beat Nole, not because his game is too bad, I mean.. he beats EVERYONE else with his game, so it can't be that.. it's a mental block in his head, he needs to be confident again.
He does not have a mental block. Mental giants like Nadal don't get those. It is obvious to anyone who watched a tennis match this year than Djokovic brought his game to Partheon levels. Nadal knows that and now will bring his game to that level next year and de-throne Nole.

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #756
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Tio Toni = Marlon Brando
Rafa = Al Pacino

Sonny has already been shot at the toll booth, Rafa had already performed the gun in the toilet scene, had already gone to Italy and has now returned, and is trying to make it all work.

Meanwhile he has found more competition to the family (Djokovic) now than when he left.

All metaphorically of course.

Or maybe Toni is Paulie in Goodfellas and Rafa is Ray Liotta's character.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #757
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Tio Toni = Marlon Brando
Rafa = Al Pacino

Sonny has already been shot at the toll booth, Rafa had already performed the gun in the toilet scene, had already gone to Italy and has now returned, and is trying to make it all work.

Meanwhile he has found more competition to the family (Djokovic) now than when he left.

If that's the case then Rafa's about to become one hell of a badass.

Although to be honest - Don Corleone was far more indulgent than Toni Nadal.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #758
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If that's the case then Rafa's about to become one hell of a badass.

Although to be honest - Don Corleone was far more indulgent than Toni Nadal.
The similarities are striking, surely.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/do...ne-gal-431.jpg

http://www.mallorcadiario.com/wp-con...dal.jpg?92f075

I haven't watched the Sopranos, perhaps the Nadals are more like them?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #759
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, The Sopranos are an ignorant lot, the Nadals are a cultured and sophisticated clan.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic provisional nş2

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #760
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly surprising that Rafa and Toni's relationship would ultimately be tested, but I won't believe the separation until I see it.

Quote:
Tio Toni = Marlon Brando
Rafa = Al Pacino

Leave the gun, take the water bottles?
Would Almagro be Luca Brasi?
Harmless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #761
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless View Post
Hardly surprising that Rafa and Toni's relationship would ultimately be tested, but I won't believe the separation until I see it.
Those rumours aren't true. They get along just fine.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #762
country flag MrChopin

MrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond reputeMrChopin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
Nadal will be fine by australian open......
You're like a living unforced error.
MrChopin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #763
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everko View Post
He does not have a mental block. Mental giants like Nadal don't get those.
Bullshit. Weren't you whining that Rafa's results dropped in 2009 because his parents got a divorce? Some mental giant he is. And everyone gets affected by losses, emotional guys like Federer, fighters like Ferrer, even ice men like Borg. Like Nole_fan says, Nadal has insecurities and he is no machine, neither physically nor mentally.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #764
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tio Toni = Marlon Brando
Rafa = Al Pacino

I think Just like Heaven must be Rafa's sister or girlfriend
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #765
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

i think some of you are hinting that nadal was beaten as a child and as a result grew some personal and social abnormalities... some of you guys are sick...

in any case, i think the fear is not working the relationship anymore... i think rafa is standing up to uncle toni these days instead of taking another whipping with that piece of 4 x 2 after losses... toni needs to employ some various new methods to test nadal's pain threshold...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote