Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #106
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetSampras View Post
You had to incorporate a whole variety of different tactics from baseline, and at the net before. In that sense.. Yes much more difficult. The physicality wasn't nearly as much but the strategy, the way you had to think, the precision, anticipation etc. was light years ahead of today. In that sense, to me the guys have it easier. They don't have to refine their game to the point guys in the past did. Even 20-30 years ago etc. You had a sweet spot the size of a peanut on your racket.. While today you have the sweetspot the size of a 300 pound woman on your racket

People argue the guys of the past couldn't keep up with the wear and tear of the tour today.. Well the guys today couldn't compete under the old conditions either. Could you imagine Nole or Rafa trying to play their games under the conditions of the 50s or 60s? Hell even the 80s? ROFL. Could you imagine all the FH and BH shanks Fed would be having with the wooden rackets?

The physicality of the game has gone up.. The actual strategy, talent, refined all court game has sunk LOW
This won't happen often, so enjoy it, but here goes:

Excellent post. Fully agreed.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #107
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
law #1: never question clay death the destroyer. truth is my sword.

law #2: always keep your mouth shut and just let the common mouse breeders (aka common public) wonder if you are a buffoon than to open it and remove all doubt.
So no source for that quote? No link? And that is your answer?

You are an idiot.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #108
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
So no source for that quote? No link?

oh wait. i realize now that i am a complete idiot and a lazy pig for not being able dig up the answer to this question a few pages back. i am sorry my lord and master clay death the destroyer. if i was not so damned lazy then i would have known that there was never any link. its years of being on welfare that has caused me to be so worthless.
fixed for the village idiot. campaigning early for ACC or what?

you are the ultimate "idiot" little johnny for running around and calling me and other people idiots here at mtf when you all too well that they are all 100 times more intelligent than you.

who says there has to be link for everything moron? this happened to be a coversation between pete and justin over the weekend which i happen to hear about from justin himself on nation tele.

feel like an idiot yet?

Last edited by Clay Death : 09-20-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #109
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
As soon as Federer retires, Nadal will be even older...then it will be the weakest era ever.
Plus Nole will be crippled by then. New Johanssons and Costas will emerge.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #110
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
As opposed to this era's unending plethora of mugs and chokers who have no chance to beat the top 3?
they might not beat top 3 but you can be sure anyone from top 50 today would beat Rod Laver or Mats Wilander, at their prime, in a match

if you dont agree you are obviously a crack baby
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #111
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
problem is, whenever there is no consistent champs at the top, its bound to be a weak era no matter how little top 10 is prone to choking.

I mean, if this era is weak, what would make it stronger? soderling, tsonga, berdych winning 2-slams per year, with fedalovic right next to them?

lol, by that rationale, you'd call that weak era as well.
Stop being rational. This is MTF. Ive tried being rationale and it does not work. The average IQ on GM is 90 at best.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #112
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
they might not beat top 3 but you can be sure anyone from top 50 today would beat Rod Laver or Mats Wilander, at their prime, in a match
With a wooden racquet?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #113
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
ahh so you did, my appologies good sir

however, third party hearsay from gimelslimeball is not admissable as evidence even in phoenix wright ace attourney
(for all the old out of touch people, that would an awfully good video game about a lawyer)

you cant put words in petes mouth good sir

http://www.samprasfanz.com/cgi-bin/v...?id=1301318383

setsampras youll be pleased to know sampras has a very low opinion of this era- rejoice!

I still think there�s four guys, now five guys in Juan Mart�n del Potro, that are really the dominant players, and I think it really depends. But I do think that Djokovic is clearly up there now obviously with those guys, but I still look at Roger and Rafa and think they could very well play in the final of some more majors. It depends on who�s playing well. There�s only a handful of really great players in the sport.

Yea four or five guys just HAS to equate to strongest era ever. And Del Potro dominant? Thats the first I've heard of it. I wouldnt even call 4 or 5 guys dominant. Right now there are only TWO dominant guys. Fed hasn't won anything since Doha. He hasn't won a slam for almost 2 years. Murray has NEVER won a slam. Its hard to call someone "great" who can't even manage a set in a slam final. Greatness is defined in how you perform on the big stage.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #114
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Sampras Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Philippoussis > Djokovic on grass
top class sig material, assist.....
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #115
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
top class sig material, assist.....

Scud gave Pete some real trouble on proper grass. You think 2011 is proper grass? Shame on you if you do.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #116
country flag Myrre

Myrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
That is just rubbish, the depth now is much better than 10 or 20 years ago.
You're the one speaking rubbish. I know there are more good players than ever before, but for the top 3-4 players that isn't much of a problem. Since there is so little variety in surfaces and playing styles, it has never been easier to win on all surfaces than it is now. They can just play their own game whether it's on grass or clay and be equally successful. That wasn't the case in earlier eras. Muster, Bruguera, Chang etc were useless on grass. Sampras, McEnroe, Edberg, Becker were never a threat at the French. Wouldn't Nadal have easy days dominating if all tournaments were played on clay? That's basically what's happening. Make all surfaces the same and you'll have the same guys winning all tournaments (as we have today).
Myrre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #117
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post

if you dont agree you are obviously a crack baby
2011 top 50 player with a wooden racquet back in the day?

Or Rod Laver with today's equipment, fitness, and training?

Either way I think Laver wins.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #118
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

yes this is definetely strongest era ever.

And Novak Djokovic is strongest tennis player in strongest tennis era ever.

At this moment for sure.
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #119
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Eras are not comparable. Stop these bullshits.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #120
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

also its strongest era because 3 top players have most slams ever - together they have like 30 slams
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote