Pete Sampras & Boris Becker apparently Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #76
country flag GOAT = Fed
Banned!

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Sampras Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
The strongest era was clearly from the mid 50's until the early 70's.
And who was alive from this forum to witness all that?
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #77
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

I don't care for the comparing of eras so I have no opinion on that and will instead just cut straight to the ad hominems. Sampras was never the brightest bulb in the box, he's just happy people still talk about him.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #78
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
seeing this era compared to the 1960s makes me physically sick

honestly

the 1990s were not as strong as the 60s but much stronger than today

thiss website is almost becoming as full of shit and tards as talk tennis warehouse
Let me get this straight, you are 29 years old (born in 1982) and you are an expert on 1960's tennis?

How many matches from the 60's have you even seen? Not highlights. Not statistics, but actual matches. And where are you getting them from? Are you paying attention to 100's of obscure matches.

I realize everything was better in the good old days.........especially if you were't around.
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #79
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_p...e_the_Open_Era

1963 to 1967 laver and rosewall won every slam between them

the most dominant pairing and rivalry of all time- the 60s were also the strongest era in mens tennis history

from 1960 and 62 rosewall won the wembly and frnech pros every year
in 1962 laver won the calender grandslam
in 63 rosewall won the pro slam- the first man in history to do it

don budge, fred perry, elsworth vines- godfried von cramm all played together

budge, perry and vines all got screwed over their legacies because of WW2- damn wars coming in the way of important shit like tennis

ppancho gonzalez's legandary domination of the us pro needs no mention (but in case there are those who dont know about it)

gonzalez was so dominant in the 50s they changed the rules to make it harder for him to win (similarly to what happened to schumacher)
So, how many of these matches have you seen?
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #80
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
don't you know

these guys are time travelers!

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #81
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Sampras , Ph.D, MD, DVM, Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

anyone who thinks 50's and 60's were a strong era are the kind of ppl who must have been dropped on their head as a baby

what exactly made those days so strong? all the 30KPH serves and groundies? the 3 different aussie slam champs? amateurs straight from school winning GS's? the top 100 players with 130 MPH serves? all those things they discovered back then like dietitians and sports science?

so much stronger back then than now, for sure.
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #82
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
anyone who thinks 50's and 60's were a strong era are the kind of ppl who must have been dropped on their head as a baby

what exactly made those days so strong? all the 30KPH serves and groundies? the 3 different aussie slam champs? amateurs straight from school winning GS's? the top 100 players with 130 MPH serves? all those things they discovered back then like dietitians and sports science?

As opposed to this era's unending plethora of mugs and chokers who have no chance to beat the top 3?
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #83
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

So any source on this? A link of some sort where we could see or read Sampras actually saying:

Quote:
I, Pete Sampras, now firmly believe that this current era is the strongest ever.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #84
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

federer would be unimportant in the 1950s because everything - racket, overheads and dropshots would render him impotent on all surfaces.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #85
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting to see that link. I dont even believe Pete said it. Hell this isn't even nearly the best top 10 we have ever had.. In fact, its one of the weaker ones in recent history.

In regards to the 50s and 60's. Yea that era wasn't nearly as physically draining on the players, but one thing you HAD to have was a great all court game to be successful. Which takes alot of time to develop. Today.. no need for that. You can serve like a woman, never approach the net, and lob moonballs for 20 hours.
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #86
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
why do Clay Death's threads always go over 5 pages?
Usually because 2 1/2 half to 3 pages are him responding to, and agreeing with, himself but not this time.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #87
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
if you are being serious

of course i didn't watch the games livehowever i trust the opions of the people who did

stupid point however, did you witness world war 2 personally?

so how do you know the allies were really the ones who were good- didnt they side with stalin? didnt britans involement bankrupt the nation for decades and leave it billions in debt to america?

you trust historians- the best (current) tennis historians are here

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

i never liked the whorehouse much, but the past player section is exceptionally well informed and probably the first port of call for any tennis fan interested in the past
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #88
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
So any source on this? A link of some sort where we could see or read Sampras actually saying:
law #1: never question clay death the destroyer. truth is my sword.

law #2: always keep your mouth shut and just let the common mouse breeders (aka common public) wonder if you are a buffoon than to open it and remove all doubt.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #89
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

your worst post ever written

they did have cheat strings that guaranteed 100% sweet spots so tennis was actually about............ you know SKILL AND TALENT

the reason (i imagine) you prefer federer over nadal
Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 AM   #90
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What made the 60s a stronger era is how it was much harder to dominate since court surface diversity was much greater in the slams back then. Oh wait...
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote