Vasek Pospisil - Page 35 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #511
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vasek Pospisil

Anyone else notice that Vasek has been offering a guided tour through the different tournament categories over the last few weeks?

Futures - Saskatoon
Challenger - Vancouver
ATP level tournament - Montreal
Major - US Open

And next, just to round it out, he will play Davis Cup.

I hope no one unfamiliar with the sport is looking at this and thinking this is the normal speed at which a player progresses through the tournament levels.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #512
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

If he manages to make main draw in Kuala Lumpur (250) / Tokyo (500), now that would be a perfect set of pro tennis tour.

# Pospisil impressive in grand slam debut by Tom Tebbutt 09/01/2011

[...] While I couldn't find Pospisil when I went looking for him, I did have a conversation with Canadian Davis Cup captain Martin Laurendeau, who was understandably pleased with the No. 143-ranked Pospisil's play against the No. 122-ranked Zemlja.

"I didn't know what to expect because, after playing well in the qualies, Vasek had four days off," Laurendeau said. "It was a long break and he had to start up the machine again, but he was really sharp right from the start. "He played a perfect match. The other guy was a little off but he never gave him a chance to get into the match. He's been playing well all summer."

I asked Laurendeau what Pospisil had done best and he replied, "he served better than in the qualifying and I thought he was a lot calmer, more poised and in control of his emotions. "You never know in the first round here. Milos (Raonic) in the first round last year (against Aussie Carsten Ball), he had been relatively calm in the qualies and in then in the first round he was really uptight. Vasek was the opposite, he was very anxious because he really wanted to qualify. But he was actually calmer in the main draw and it allowed him to play good, intelligent tennis." [...]

# USO R2: Photos | Video | Post match interview | On the practice court
shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #513
country flag shuhrat

shuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond reputeshuhrat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/arti...raw-level.aspx

Inexperienced Pospisil surprises Sela

Pospisil showed the composure and of a player far older than his 21 years to give visiting Canada an early lead in their Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-off tie against Israel at Ramat Hasharon on Friday.

Pospisil was the more consistent against Israeli No. 1 Sela in a topsy-turvy battle where each of the two had the upper hand at some stage during the almost five-hour encounter. The level of play never reached dizzying heights at any stage with both players both displaying their fair share of errors and winning points.

The youthful Pospisil, ranked at 124, 28 places lower than Sela (96) played with calm assuredness through the rough patches and rode out some moments of brilliance by Sela, who was unable to tap into the crowd support at the aptly named Canada Stadium that more often than not gives the Israelis the boost they need when faced with tough situations.

Pospisil took a 4-1 lead in the first set only to see Sela claw his way back before the two battled out a first of three tie breaks that the Canadian won 7-4 with the help of his powerful serve.

Pospisil never lost his cool demeanour

A second set also went to a tie break but this time Sela held on to level the match. While the home crowd of some 3,000 spectators thought that Sela's second-set win would signify the turning point, they were introduced to a bright young prospect in Pospisil who never lost his outwardly cool demeanour.

The Canadian rattled off the third set 6-1 and had an early lead in the fourth only for Sela to again get back into the reckoning. Once again, with the tie break, the hosts were hoping that the momentum had finally swung in Sela's favour and he broke for an early lead in the final set but Pospisil had other ideas and broke back, and then again, to put Sela at arm's length. Pospisil's powerful serve and reliable forehand ensured he stayed in the match but as he got tired and Sela managed to penetrate his backhand side, the Canadian showed that he was also very capable on both sides of the court.

He was elated with his performance, a first-ever victory for him that went the full distance. "It feels incredible, playing Davis Cup is an honour ... to play in a huge match like this against a great player and win my first fifth-set match like this ... it's just an incredible feeling right now," the affable Pospisil said.

Sela said he was beaten by a better player but never felt he managed to get into the match. "He played much better than me today, I think the crowd helped me a lot to stay in the match and I feel disappointed that we are down 1-0," the veteran Israeli said.

Tebbutt: An odd kind of even

When the two teams lined up before the opening match of the Davis Cup World Group Playoff between Israel and Canada on Friday, it would have been difficult to imagine the eventual outcome of the opening day.

The two No. 2s, Vasek Pospisil for Canada and Amir Weintraub, on his 25th birthday, for Israel, defeated their No. 1 opponents. Pospisil did so with a gutsy display to overcome Dudi Sela 7-6(4), 6-7(6), 6-1, 6-7(2), 6-3 while Raonic started well but faded against a fired-up Weintraub, losing by a score that pretty well told the tale - 5-7, 7-5, 6-3, 6-1.

But more about Raonic later - Pospisil's conquest of the feisty Sela was a truly character-building effort.

When he finally got to the locker room after the match, Daniel Nestor, in his inimitable fashion, saluted him with, "sick win buddy - instant ESPN Classic."

There were innumerable plot twists during the match, and an uncanny number of times when it looked like one or the other was destined to win.

In the first set, Pospisil led 4-1 only to see Sela rally to 4-4 and look like he would feed off the highly-partisan crowd - 4,500-seat Canada Stadium was a little over half full. But the Canadian eventually took the set, pulling out tie break 7-4.

In the second set, Pospisil (above) had two set points at 6-4 in the tiebreak but Sela saved them, taking four points in a row to even the match.

Pospisil slammed his racquet down at the ensuing end change, furious he had wasted a chance to lead two sets to love.

That display may have had a beneficial effect. It seemed as if a little anger calmed his nerves and re-focused him. He took a one-sided third set 6-1.

In the fourth, Pospisil led 4-2 but Sela rallied to lead 5-4, bringing the raucous crowd back into the match to rhythmic chants of "Doo-dee Sey-lah" over and over again.

The most even disposition Canadian tennis player around these days, Pospisil got really angry at that point - telling Laurendeau at the next end change, "don't talk to me." You could tell there was an interior battle he had to fight with himself and he wanted to do it alone.

When he lost the fourth-set tiebreak - falling behind 6-0 before dropping it 7-2 - his Israeli opponent was once more in the ascendency, especially when he broke serve to start the fifth set and lead 2-0. But Popisil gradually won that interior battle and managed to turn the match around with aggressive play to take the set 6-3 and the match in an incredible five hours and three minutes. It was the first five-set match of his career.

In a bit of high-falutin inspired prose, I had written in my notebook, "people go to faraway places deep inside themselves during tennis matches. Vasek Pospisil has been there and back a few times today."

About getting so riled up with himself during the match, Pospisil later explained, "I missed some opportunities, obviously in the second set I had two set points in the tiebreak. Then in the fourth set I was up a break at 4-2. Missing those opportunities - kind of tensing up a little bit and letting Dudi get back into the match - made me kind of irritated with myself. But I never gave up."

shuhrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #514
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

nice win, Vasek
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #515
country flag letshavefun3

letshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond reputeletshavefun3 has a reputation beyond repute

Draw is out for next week, in Uzbekistan Vasek is number 6 seed and faces WC Vishnu Vardhan of India in the first round.
letshavefun3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #516
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

we need to see a Sela/Vasek final

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #517
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

he should cruise through rounds 1 and 2 but i'd expect lu to end his week if thats who he plays in the QF
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #518
country flag tommyg6

tommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond reputetommyg6 has a reputation beyond repute

He can at least reach qfs in this one.
tommyg6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #519
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

where is he Vasek playing next? futures or a challenger?

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #520
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

why would he play a futures event when he`s ranked 124th? Is that even allowed(unless he got a WC I don't think it is)

Tashkent is a 125K Challenger, and I then expect him to try a qualify for the asian events a la Milos last year

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #521
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

well..he's ranked 130 now

and its not like guys inside the top 200 have never played in futures before so it is allowed apparently

but i see no reason for him to go down there
Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #522
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
why would he play a futures event when he`s ranked 124th? Is that even allowed(unless he got a WC I don't think it is)

Tashkent is a 125K Challenger, and I then expect him to try a qualify for the asian events a la Milos last year
Well.. uhm, he did play a future in Canada this summer, right? So it's not that fat fetched at all. Though yeah, I would expect him to play a challenger or try qualifying for a 250 or 500 event.

Thanks for the update btw Nice to know his schedule for the upcoming weeks!

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #523
country flag misty1
Banned!

what caused you to take rafa off your list of faves?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #524
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute

For week of October 3, Vasek is signed up for the Sacramento challenger, so it looks he is is not doing the Asian tour.

Sacramento is 100K and is followed the next week by another 100K challenger in California. I guess he figures the big challengers are the right level for him now.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #525
country flag 156mphserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
well..he's ranked 130 now

and its not like guys inside the top 200 have never played in futures before so it is allowed apparently

but i see no reason for him to go down there
I though the rule was you have to not be in the top 200 at the time the entry list is made to play a future, WC can be given to anyone I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
Well.. uhm, he did play a future in Canada this summer, right? So it's not that fat fetched at all. Though yeah, I would expect him to play a challenger or try qualifying for a 250 or 500 event.

Thanks for the update btw Nice to know his schedule for the upcoming weeks!
he played the one he played this summer because he was just coming back from injury. He got a WC so that supports the above theory

But like both of you said no reason to play a future when you can be seeded in a 125K challenger

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion