ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 53 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #781
country flag v-money

v-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could we see a player strike in tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smikkel View Post
Well there's a lot way to go before any strike - the players aren't even unionized.

But this article is just one more reference to the possibility that players might unionize. I know there were quite a few references to this during the US Open.

It makes sense to me that that would want to do that. Players in all of the other major sports here are unionized and that's given them a chance to have real input into the way their sport is run.
I though ATP was a player union. Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Just keep [t]rolling Bernard, just keep [t]rolling my man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchFederer View Post
Keep [t]rolling Bernard, keep [t]rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
tomic just keep on [t]rolling
v-money is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #782
country flag smikkel

smikkel is on a distinguished road

The ATP is not a union. It is the organization of pro tennis. The players have a couple of representatives on the Board (I think it's Nadal and Djokovic), but they are only a couple of voices on the overall Board. And I would guess that their voices are among the least powerful ones compared to the CEO and the sponsors and the others who are bringing boatloads of cash to the table.
smikkel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #783
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

13 tournaments a year is overcrowded

what a pussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #784
country flag smikkel

smikkel is on a distinguished road

Here's an article by Jon Wertheim from Sports Illustrated about his take on the players forming a union.
smikkel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #785
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
US Open 2011: Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal lead fight for players' open

Only two days before meeting Rafael Nadal in the semi-final of the US Open, Andy Murray had a phone conversation with his friend and rival about improving the players’ input into the way the sport of tennis is run.

By Simon Briggs, Flushing Meadows
10:10PM BST 11 Sep 2011

The legacy of this troubled tournament may be felt in an active and independent players union which will finally split away from the inappropriately named Association of Tennis Professionals.

From the sound of things, you would think that the ATP should put the players first, but in fact it is an awkward amalgamation of many interests, including all the tournaments outside the four grand slams, which are run by the International Tennis Federation.

“I spoke to Rafa on the phone,” Murray said. “Basically, we spoke about the things that we wanted and the things we want to improve. He’s been on the ATP Tour board for quite a long time so he knows more about those things than me. But I think everyone knows now and understands that the only way to get things done is that everyone sticks together.

“Between now and Shanghai we will come up with a list of things we agree are very important. I think now the players are really serious about changing some things whereas in the past when ideas have been rejected they have just gone away.”

There were embarrassing scenes in the middle of last week when two days of non-stop rainfall at Flushing Meadows – or Drizzling Meadows as the players came to know it – sent the tournament schedule into chaos.

After being rushed on to court to play their fourth-round matches in damp conditions, three of the senior players on the tour — Nadal, Murray and Andy Roddick — confronted tournament referee Brian Earley in his office to demand why their safety had been endangered.

The issue of playing conditions bubbled up again the following day when water started seeping through cracks in the surface of Louis Armstrong Stadium, putting the second-biggest show court at Flushing Meadows out of commission for the rest of the tournament.

But while the inundation of the US Open courts may have been the immediate spur for the players’ activism, it is not the biggest issue that Murray and Nadal want to address. That is the schedule of ATP tournaments, which they still believe is too physically demanding, despite the two weeks that are being lopped off the tour next year.

Asked what was on the players’ wish list, Murray replied “I think fewer mandatory events, a two-year ranking system and shortening the season. It’s just trying to find ways of prolonging guys’ careers where there isn’t so much pressure in every single event that we play in.”

He also explained his keenness to get involved in tennis politics. “As I have been in the top few places in the world for a few years now there is more of a responsibility towards the tour, and to make sure I am giving tennis a good name,” said Murray.

“When I first came on the tour I used to speak with Tim Henman and other guys quite a lot and all I’d hear was, ‘Tennis is messed up!’ They said it took so long to push things through. It’s not just about the top guys, it’s about the whole tour. But when the top guys stick together, and are doing things together, it does lend extra weight.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...yers-open.html
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #786
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Rafito figured this the only way to stop Nolito's absolute domination. What a strategist

Rafa: If we don't play toornament, you can't be winner no, Novak?
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #787
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-money View Post
Well I don't think that's quite accurate. Nadal still has plenty of fans who want to see him in the tournaments... though I can't understand why.
Rofl! would u bother to explain to me when u find out, please?
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #788
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Only way Murray could win a Slam if top 50 go on strike
I'm not a Murray's fan, and actually, I'm a Fed fan, but how can u say that when Murray at GS stage only lost to Nadal (3 times) and Djokovic this year??? and that was 3 SF and 1 F ?? No that u can say that of Federer who lost to Clownga :/
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #789
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Player union call as injuries mount

Murray should stick to Nadal's bed and should not embarrass himself in public. What a load of BS this is. Instead of slowing down surfaces to suit Nadal's famous ass, they'd better speed up the game and reduce match length. Nadal and Murray should also try using their heads. I can't believe Murray has the audacity to speak on the behalf of all players.

HE should stick to his boyfriend's bed.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #790
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

"It’s not just about the top guys, it’s about the whole tour. But when the top guys stick together, and are doing things together, it does lend extra weight."

It's curious how he talks about 'not just the top guys' and then promotes shortening the calender which will screw over everyone but the top guys.

He speaks like a politician.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #791
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Two year rank is too much, maybe a 1.5 year would be nice. This way a player that was top 30 and had a serious injury for like 4 or 5 months wont be that much affected and wont have to rush his recover.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #792
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
Two year rank is too much, maybe a 1.5 year would be nice. This way a player that was top 30 and had a serious injury for like 4 or 5 months wont be that much affected and wont have to rush his recover.
No, the ranking system is fine. 2 year rank is bullshit.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #793
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully what Andy is saying is real this time. I have heard this shit for years about shortening the season, and not by a couple of weeks. Maybe this time something will happen, I doubt it though.

Last edited by guga2120 : 09-16-2011 at 11:20 PM.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #794
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

what a load of bollocks...

schedule and ranking system is not broke...

25+ carpet tournaments in 1989

15+ carpet tournaments in 1999

0 carpet tournaments in 2009

thats not including other fast surfaces... from next monday until the start of the WTF should be predominantly quick surfaces and indoor carpet as it once was... rebalance the shedule and give the players a f**king proper rest...

quicker points = less wear on the body

but no... we need the big names on sunday due to €€€ so slow hard for the rest of the year it is... at least bercy understands...

and guess what... you and i... the fans are robbed off 5 set finals in not only masters but lesser, yet still historical events... we are paying the same but are left short changed...

dodging the real problem and not acknowledging how the game evolved is absolute cockmunchery...and then, just like a modern day government, the real issue is not addressed, but is spun so that the players do less work for more...

wake the f*** up... thats where true variety in the sport left us sh!t for brains...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #795
country flag Roadmap

Roadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you Fast Clay. Lets not forget the bollocks that is the O2 playing surface for the WTF. Another 'hardcourt' that is actually just a claycourt.
Roadmap is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote