Fancy a drink during the match? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #31
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy a drink during the match?

Rafa's been drunk for years on court (that's not water in those bottles - that's why he's so fastidious about them).

Seriously, no sober person would pick their ass that often in public (let alone in front of millions of viewers).

He actually speaks extremely clear and articulate English, but what we hear in pressers and interviews is the English of a severely inebriated Rafito.
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #32
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Rum.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #33
country flag CerealDave

CerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that people should mention snooker. Big Bill Werbemiuk famously drank 6 pints of lager before each match and drank one pint for every frame, in order to counteract the problems he had making shots caused by essential tremor. He started taking propranolol because of the effect the drinking had on his heart, and then had to retire from snooker because propranolol was banned.
CerealDave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #34
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

well a few years back I won a tiebreak tournament at Uni after 3 G&Ts - it was a turn up and play thing, no pre-signing up involved. I was supposed to go out that night, but midway through pre-drinks, I thought "Fuck it, I'm gonna go play some tennis". And that was that. Painted the lines and didn't choke, should try it more often

But yeh, doubt it would work well particularly well for the pros (unless is was a very small amount)
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealDave View Post
It's funny that people should mention snooker. Big Bill Werbemiuk famously drank 6 pints of lager before each match and drank one pint for every frame, in order to counteract the problems he had making shots caused by essential tremor. He started taking propranolol because of the effect the drinking had on his heart, and then had to retire from snooker because propranolol was banned.
Wow.
Well this reminds me of the professional darts tour some 20 years ago - all players shown drinking beers and smoking cigarettes all the time.
Of one of the players, Andy Fordham aka "The Viking", it was said that he drunk TWO CRATES of beer during every match!

Ah, those were the days...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #36
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
Wow.
Well this reminds me of the professional darts tour some 20 years ago - all players shown drinking beers and smoking cigarettes all the time.
Of one of the players, Andy Fordham aka "The Viking", it was said that he drunk TWO CRATES of beer during every match!

Ah, those were the days...
And eventually saw himself with very very serious health problems and had to completely turn his life around...
Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #37
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near View Post
And eventually saw himself with very very serious health problems and had to completely turn his life around...
I know, and I have great respect for the guy that he actually managed to do so.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
I know, and I have great respect for the guy that he actually managed to do so.
Yep, was a willful turn around and I was so happy to see him back and healthy... things could have been different.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up playing pool one of the first times I drank alcohol - I could barely see and so upon trying to hit the cue ball I completely missed it, instead knocking a drink off the side of the table with my cue. You couldn't exactly say that the alcohol enhanced my performance .
EddceLLent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #40
country flag EddceLLent

EddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond reputeEddceLLent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declinerer View Post
Karsten Braasch, I believe, used to light up during changeovers
Just looked him up on Wikipedia and it says he did, also says he, ranked around 200 at the time, played the Williams sisters in a best of one set match and won both, 6-1 and 6-2. It says he smoked during changeovers during that match too... although I can't find any footage of it so don't know if it's true. Funny if it was...
EddceLLent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #41
country flag Dr. Frankenfed

Dr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Frankenfed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddceLLent View Post
Just looked him up on Wikipedia and it says he did, also says he, ranked around 200 at the time, played the Williams sisters in a best of one set match and won both, 6-1 and 6-2. It says he smoked during changeovers during that match too... although I can't find any footage of it so don't know if it's true. Funny if it was...
I think this story is an urban legend. Braasch was a smoker, but he didn't smoke on court.
But before he played against the sisters he was having a couples of drinks, as you can read here
Dr. Frankenfed is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
country flag CerealDave

CerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond reputeCerealDave has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminded me of on old article about drugs in tennis:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=168510

Quote:
The celebrated diva Suzanne Lenglen braced herself between sets with sips of cognac. Eventually, alcohol in industrial quantities became the drug of choice on the circuit, and hangovers, not overdoses, were the greatest danger. As described in The Romance of Wimbledon, a book by John Olliff, The Daily Telegraph’s tennis correspondent, the ‘21 quarterfinal between Zenzo Shimidzu of Japan and Randolf Lycett of Australia was a drunken fiasco. Played on a blisteringly hot day, the match was deadlocked at a set apiece and 3-3 in the third, when Lycett seemed to suffer sunstroke and had to be revived with gin. Though wobbly, Lycett won the third set, but couldn’t continue without another stimulant — champagne. Apparently, he drank a whole bottle and by the fifth set was staggering and stumbling, falling and crawling around on his hands and knees, searching for his racket.
CerealDave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #43
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

I like this thread.

See when Corona became the official ATP sponsor last year, I was hoping the players could get free beer during matches.

Alas it never happened. Prudes.

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #44
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

and Corona as well my favourite "tennis drink"
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote