"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 307 80.37%
Leave them as they are 75 19.63%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #61
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed up the Courts

courts are slow and this tennis era is weak
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #62
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Hey Kid View Post
Did the USTA intentionally slow down the surface this year? Is this offical or just hearsay? They said just last year they had no intention of doing so.
earlier this year someone posted here that there was a rumor the court was being slowed. Heck if I can find it now. I'm curious what balls they'll be using. Anyone heard?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #63
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Wimbledon has not been slowed down too much, people are overreacting. Still has least service breaks and most aces out of any GS. It's mostly racquet technology that enabled better baseline play/passing shots that killed S&V. Agassi, who played in both eras on high level said it several times in interviews.

Carpet was removed at players' insistence, Federer included.

There has been no legitimate evidence that USO has been slowed down. AO has always been slow, hasn't changed.
Can you post a link to where Federer said he wanted carpet removed? No one has ever provided a legitimate explanation why Fed would advocate for slower courts. Certainly now slower courts have little benefit to him.

IF USO was slowed down or plays slower than usual that will probably benefit Djokovic the most.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #64
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

I can't find you the link, sorry; I don't think it was a matter of wanting it slower, but he didn't feel as comfortable moving on carpet as he did on hardcourts, that was the main reason IIRC; while Nadal was unhappy about how it was making his game ineffective/irrelevant.

Agassi has also talked about how truer and higher bounces were making grass feel more like hardcourt. One less reason to serve and volley, sadly. The US hardcourts, they certainly have over the years, though not necessarily last year because Nadal won it or this year if Djoko wins it... unless those rumours you've heard about indeed prove to be true.

D. Nalbandian ♦ R. Federer ♦ D. Goffin ♦ M. Youzhny ♦ D. Brown ♦ N. Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #65
country flag Agrajag

Agrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond reputeAgrajag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wimbledon has not been slowed down too much, people are overreacting. Still has least service breaks and most aces out of any GS. It's mostly racquet technology that enabled better baseline play/passing shots that killed S&V. Agassi, who played in both eras on high level said it several times in interviews.

Carpet was removed at players' insistence, Federer included.

There has been no legitimate evidence that USO has been slowed down. AO has always been slow, hasn't changed.
This has probably been posted hundreds of times, but it still should kill the argument regarding Wimbledon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJ_FVnijAw

Quote:
As long as they make RG proper clay again, they can speed up the courts. If RG continues to play like a glorified hard court, I don't see why they shouldn't slow down fast surfaces to make it fair. Madrid should be slowed down as well.
Totally agree with this one. Even though I found it hilarious watching Isner serve his way to a fifth set, I don't think it is the way to go. According to Lindstedts blog, the joke in the locker room was that RG now was the fastest tournament of the year. Obviously an exaggeration, but still.
Agrajag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #66
country flag ufiors

ufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond reputeufiors has a reputation beyond repute

Incredible.. Roger, beat them all!
ufiors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #67
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, as much as I dont like Nadal's success making the courts in Usopen faster last year would make Nadal unbreakable, he had the best serve of the top 4 in that tournament. I dont think it is possible to say NAdal is succesfull because of slow courts. His draw was nonetheless a joke last year, but he was playing the best tennis in that tournament.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #68
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

the courts have not slowed down at all unless they changed some universal laws but the fact is that to be a good player you have to be athletic and play excellent defence. What you are saying is that you want slow and unathletic players playing simple one dimensional game. As much as I like offence , good defence is what brings excitement.
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #69
country flag Egreen

Egreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond reputeEgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
IF USO was slowed down or plays slower than usual that will probably benefit Djokovic the most.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

Totally agree with this one. Even though I found it hilarious watching Isner serve his way to a fifth set, I don't think it is the way to go. According to Lindstedts blog, the joke in the locker room was that RG now was the fastest tournament of the year. Obviously an exaggeration, but still.
This.
Egreen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #70
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Slow courts everywhere- RIP tennis.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #71
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any valid link about slowing surface at this year US Open?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #72
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal_Power View Post
Is there any valid link about slowing surface at this year US Open?
What do you think?

Remember when Basel used to be lighting fast?
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #73
country flag evilmindbulgaria
Banned!

evilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan View Post
Unfortunately the tennis authorities are biased in favour of Nadal and his fans who support him. This Australian Open is even slower than it has been in previous year, though that might also be the Stosur effect.

In any case, tennis died when Nadal won Wimbledon, and it can never be resurrected from such an abhorrent event.
Why so bitter? Oh, wait, you joined MTF in June 2008 It must have been tough 4 years for you

On topic, I also have been watching tennis since the mid 90's and I can't agree more with the OP that some of the courts have really been slowed down throughout the last decade. But to claim that this was done just to favor Nadal can only be a product of hateful, bitter, and delusional brains! I chuckle nowadays when a handful of players S/V but let me tell you - their volleying skills are nowhere near the volleying skills of the past generations!
I believe that the fast courts will make a comeback but when will that happen only the ATP people know.
evilmindbulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #74
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

of course they will slow the event down

its a sad reality about homogenized surfaces

AO speed is probably fine- it always was a medium speed HC
RG- needs to slow down
WIM- needs to speed up and kill the bounce- slice needs to be a deadly tactic there- only way to bring back S&V
US OPEN- needs to be a super fast surface with a high bounce- therefore encuraging all types of styles
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #75
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, missed this.
Quote:
AO has always been slow, hasn't changed.
No, and yes (obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-hero View Post
US OPEN- needs to be a super fast surface with a high bounce- therefore encuraging all types of styles
i.e. what Rebound Ace used to be about (well, it wasn't super fast obviously but you get my drift!).

D. Nalbandian ♦ R. Federer ♦ D. Goffin ♦ M. Youzhny ♦ D. Brown ♦ N. Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote