Classical and Opera lovers - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #211
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classical and Opera lovers

I searched and saw one lone reference to one of my all-time favourites, so with your permission may I post Verdi's Va pensiero. Even though marvellous versions have been done by Pavarotti and Bocelli, for me the haunting pathos of the Slaves Chorus will always belong to the great choirs of the world.

This performance is by the NY Metropolitan Opera

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #212
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
I searched and saw one lone reference to one of my all-time favourites, so with your permission may I post Verdi's Va pensiero. Even though marvellous versions have been done by Pavarotti and Bocelli, for me the haunting pathos of the Slaves Chorus will always belong to the great choirs of the world.

This performance is by the NY Metropolitan Opera

a few days ago, i posted in Nathii's energy responsive thread something i think might be of interest to you.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...9#post11233479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post

last night i immensely enjoyed the performance of your fellow countrymen, Anda Louise Bogza and Alexandru Agache in Verdi's 'Nabucco' in Herod of Atticus Theatre below the Acropolis.

my heart, arteries and lungs were affected in many ways when i was listening to 'va, pensiero' the chorus in the third act...

lyrics translated in English:

Fly, thought, on wings of gold;
go settle upon the slopes and the hills,
where, soft and mild, the sweet airs
of our native land smell fragrant!

Greet the banks of the Jordan
and Zion's toppled towers...
Oh, my country so beautiful and lost!
Oh, remembrance so dear and so fatal!

Golden harp of the prophetic seers,
why dost thou hang mute upon the willow?
Rekindle our bosom's memories,
and speak to us of times gone by!

Mindful of the fate of Jerusalem,
give forth a sound of crude lamentation,
or may the Lord inspire you a harmony of voices
which may instill virtue to suffering.

it's also known in English as 'Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves'. what a flowing, powerful, revolutionary hymn and ...

has also become the unofficial hymn of Italian national liberation and reunification, even of international freedom movement... a couple of months ago ("Celebrazione dei 150 anni dall'Unitŕ d'Italia", Replica del Nabucco al Teatro dell'Opera di Roma il 15-3-2011), Riccardo Muti invited the audience to sing, raised his hands and began... but he was not conducting the chorus or the orchestra.... he was conducting the audience...

Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #213
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Getta - thoroughly enjoyed them. It's really strange, but I first remember this from radio in 1968 -- we used to have to announce a programme called "Afternoon Concert" -- which is where, through osmosis I guess, I learned most of what I started to know about classical music - and in all this time I've never seen, nor sought a translation... which just goes to prove, I guess, just how universal a language music really is.

I have somewhere, and I'll try to find it, a steelpan version of it which I'll rip and post for you... hopefully in a few days. Have you ever heard any classical music played on steelpan?
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #214
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
Have you ever heard any classical music played on steelpan?
Old 08-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #215
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #216
country flag Getta

you patted me on the shoulder and promised me you won't post my photo
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #217
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

i love how chaotic this is.

Camille Saint-Saëns - Danse Macabre

Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #218
country flag barbadosan

Quote:
Too good!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #219
country flag Getta

Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #220
country flag Getta

Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #221
country flag Getta

Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #222
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

My two favorite pieces lately:

Liszt Ferenc's and...

Johann S. Bach's

Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #223
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
My two favorite pieces lately:

Liszt Ferenc's and...

My mom used to play this a lot. It's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

This is slightly predictable but it's my all-time favourite:

"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #224
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

If there ever was anyone worthy of being called a genius.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #225
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
If there ever was anyone worthy of being called a genius.

One of my favourites.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote