Mens Tennis Forums banner

Ben Mitchell's Banana Party

118K views 862 replies 61 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 ·
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Ben is through to the final of the Under 18's Championships this week, where he plays Jason Kubler in the final tomorrow.

RR: def Jonathon Cooper (NSW) 6-3 6-1
RR: def Alex Sanders (QLD) 6-4 6-3
RR: def Maverick Banes (QLD) 6-3 6-3
QF: def Joey Swaysland (NSW) 6-2 7-6(3)
SF: def Sean Berman (VIC) 6-4 7-6(4)

Hopefully he can win tomorrow and guarantee his place in the AO WC Playoff.

ITF BOYS PROFILE: HERE
ITF MENS PROFILE: HERE

See less See more
#257 ·
Ben is the forth seed in a British future this week on hard courts. He has progressed to the quarterfinals so far without dropping a set. Plays the 8th seed Josh Goodall next which could be tough but I would expect Ben to win. A semifinal appearance would see Ben move into the 360s, a runner up would see him move to 354 and a win this week would see Ben move to about 333. Even with a win this week Ben would still be about another future title away from the top 300 so hopefully he carries his current form (7 match winning streak) on for a little bit longer so when he returns to Australia he will be seeded highly and have a good chance of picking up a title or two. Same goes for Duckworth but he won't be playing for at least another two weeks anyway.

Also I know I keep mentioning it and no seems to really care but if Ben was to win this week he'll be just two points behind James Duckworth and will have a chance (if he plays next week) to snatch that number 2 Aussie '92 spot back from Ducky. I think there is no doubt that these two (Duckworth and Mitchell) are pushing each other and getting the best out of each other. A lot of it probably has to do with being born in '92 just like Bernard, although Tomic seems to be light years ahead of these two at the moment.

#259 ·
Even though they Ben and Duckie are pushing other for the "No. 2 spot" for 1992 born babies in Australia, I think they are in the big eague now and should rather measure where they are in the World rankings.
Also Duckie and Ben have performed well at the Futures level and it is time they contested a few Challenger events in the qualifying. They can spend too much time grinding out the Futures circuir, which is murderous. Challengers have much better facilities, better umpires and more linesmen, more frequent ball changes (akin to playing ATP) and a far better level of player, as well as a much better atmosphere.
Time for these excellent tennis players to step up.

#260 ·
I think it is important for both Ben and James to establish a top 300 spot before they go into the challenger circuit. There is no point in them playing 3 matches of qualifying to gain the same amount of points (3 points) as they would in two matches of a future tournament with a much easier field. Main draw acceptance is the goal and that is why they are sticking to the future circuit for now. Neither of them are really grinding that much, they have both taken considerable breaks after doing well in tournaments and most of them have been on clay so it is not as physically demanding.

You don't actually receive the hospitality of the challengers unless you are in the main draw so Duckworth and Mitchell might be risking a fair bit if they try and qualify. Both players I would think will head home post US Open and play the futures here and if that is the case both may be well and truly established in the top 300 by then which would mean higher seedings among what can be described as easier aussie fields. In terms of their ranking and being judged as individuals I feel you might be wrong because Tennis Australia usually judges a player's performance on their generation and in this case the '92 class is extremely strong so I think it is healthy to compare players of each year class when you have a player like Bernard doing so well and setting the benchmark. As for players born in '91 or '90 I wouldn't talk about their placings among other aussie the same age because there isn't a standout.

#264 · (Edited)
You are correct, both are fully supported by Tennis Australia but I don't think that is the correct message to be sending to our juniors coming through that they always have a safe net to fall back on if they can't get into the main draw of a tournament. The professional tour is rough and I feel a reason why some of our best juniors can't get through to the next level is because Tennis Australia is always there to catch them when they fall(there are lots of other reasons too). Once a player stops performing TA pulls funding and the players find out just how tough the tour really is. Dustin Brown would be a good example of a player who really earned his right to play tennis at the highest level, if you don't know what I'm talking about Google his story.

The goal is that we want our players to actually be able to fund themselves so TA can give another player funding and our player pool will grow. Although the results warrant a move upwards in competition it is not necessarily the best thing for the player's future or Tennis Australia. Just my opinion but I think my points are pretty valid. Anyway Ben won a close three setter against Goodall in that future and is now in the semis where he takes on the number 1 seed.

#263 ·
Ben is also No. 4 alternate on the list for the Vancouver Challenger next week. ;)
It will be interesting to see if he plays.

#267 ·
Ben falls to Eaton in the final 7-5 6-1 but still a great week from him. Will move into the 350s in the world and will be 14 points behind Duckworth. Should be interesting to see where he plays next because I can't see him on any futures entry lists for the next two weeks.

#272 ·
Ben lost to qualifier Adam El Mihdawy.
The transition from Futures events to Challengers is not easy, the main difference being the power and the new balls. The ITF rules of new balls every 9 and 13 games favours the lesser powered grinders, while on the Challenger circuit with new balls every 7 and 9 games (as in the ATP) gives the more powerful players an advantage, and the big servers especially are more dominant in the ATP/Challenger game.
Ben will have to adapt to the more powerful game.
Also, naturally due to the higher ranked event, the players are a better calibre as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.