The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #76
country flag au_sports_opinion

au_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores)

yeh maybe, gooch in doubles looch dead rubber would make more sense though.
au_sports_opinion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #77
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
yeh maybe, gooch in doubles looch dead rubber would make more sense though.
doubles Hewitt/Luczak played more, probably next year they will play together at the Olympics Games

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #78
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

Should have been Matty Ebden instead on Luczak. Do they play next Friday to Sunday?
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #79
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbal View Post
Should have been Matty Ebden instead on Luczak. Do they play next Friday to Sunday?
yes, 8-10 july

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #80
country flag Ausie

CHINA, P.R. v AUSTRALIA
Venue: Beijing International Tennis Center
Surface: Indoor hard

China, P.R.

Ze Zhang
Di Wu
Mao-Xin Gong
Zhe Li

Shao-Xuan Zeng (captain)

Australia

Lleyton Hewitt
Bernard Tomic
Chris Guccione
Marinko Matosevic or Peter Luczak

Patrick Rafter (captain)

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #81
country flag Ausie

Beijing blog: a new era takes shape

Three green hard courts, side by side. Indoors.

Green courts on reddish surrounds. Beautifully cleaned. All playing lowish and fast.

Over on the far side is the legendary Tony Roche. He’s constantly dipping into a box of Australian Open Wilson balls, feeding them rapid fire as he whips a pair of old mates in Chris Guccione and Peter Luczak through their paces. Occasionally he will stop for a quick word but then it is straight back into it. Feed, whack, whack, volley, volley, move, move, feed again…

In the middle on the match court is a very familiar face. Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt mustering his trademark intensity as he puts to the test a young Melburnian who the great John Newcombe has tipped could become a top 40 player. Marinko Matosevic brings a joy and a robustness to his play that is easy to like. It is an absorbing contest. Neither is holding back.

And on the third court, two Queensland youngsters have just arrived. Straight off the plane they are warming up and clearing away a few of the cobwebs. Bernard Tomic and Ben Mitchell appear relaxed, albeit a tad tired having just come in from London, but very much at ease in this environment.

Walking in between all three courts, pausing to observe, offer a word or two of advice or consult with Roche or other team staff… another very familiar face. There are no signs of any of the burden of his new job. Indeed former world number one and team captain Pat Rafter looks very much at ease.

Welcome to Beijing and yep, this is Australian Davis Cup circa 2011. A new era in a long and illustrious history. An era blending the old and the new. A nice mix of proven and potential, both on court and alongside it.

All of this has been coming for some months now. But now it is set against the backdrop of Tomic’s stunning Wimbledon run to the quarterfinals and the historic junior boys’ and girls’ Grand Slam title wins of Luke Saville and Ash Barty.

There has been much discussion within the team about the success of the youngsters and, one senses, more than a hint of pride.

For the extremely attentive Australian tennis fans of late there have been a few telltale signs of some progress.

Mitchell won a Futures title in Spain a couple of weeks ago, James Duckworth made another final last week and won two Futures titles in the last two months, Matt Reid won a Futures on the weekend. Saville also made the Australian Open junior final earlier in the year. All critical progressive steps for the next wave of young talent.

As Saville noted after his Wimbledon success: “I think we have a good environment in Australian tennis right now.”

Now the focus turns to a humid indoor venue in downtown Beijing … the venue from which Rafter, Roche and Co. hope to begin their nation’s Davis Cup resurrection against a feisty group of highly competitive but largely unheralded Chinese players.

So while there is a little bit of momentum, this next step on the weekend is bordering on critical.

But casting a glance across the frenetic activity at the Beijing International Tennis Center this afternoon, one senses that the right people are in place both on court and sitting alongside it, to give this proud tennis nation the very best chance of taking it.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #82
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #83
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the photos Ausie, like to see the smiles in the last one

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #84
country flag au_sports_opinion

au_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond reputeau_sports_opinion has a reputation beyond repute

looks like i might have been right, looch out gooch doubles?
au_sports_opinion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #85
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
looks like i might have been right, looch out gooch doubles?
probably doubles Gooch/Hewitt

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #86
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

DEAD @ Tomic in the centre

Lley Lley's looking old

NADAL - MATOSEVIC - BORG
TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - BROWN - NALBANDIAN - WAWRINKA

HINGIS - KOURNIKOVA - DOKIC
DEMENTIEVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - MYSKINA - DAVENPORT - RUBIN
SCHNYDER - HANTUCHOVA - SCHETT - MAURESMO - CLIJSTERS
RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL - KVITOVA - JANKOVIC

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #87
country flag Ausie

Rafter seeks advice from super coaches

New Australian Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter has consulted legendary coaches Leigh Matthews and Wayne Bennett on how to foster a strong team environment heading into this week's Asia/Oceania tie against China in Beijing.

And the earlier signs of team harmony are strong, with Rafter reporting Bernard Tomic and Lleyton Hewitt are getting on well despite their strained relationship in the past.

While he was part of several Davis Cup campaigns as a player, Rafter said he wanted to tap into the knowledge of hugely successful rugby league coach Bennett and VFL/AFL premiership winning player-coach Matthews.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"I've spoken to Wayne Bennett and Leigh Matthews on trying to create that good team environment," Rafter told AAP on the phone from China.

"One thing I took out of that was we've got a team bus, where everyone gets on the bus together and everyone is talking, yapping away, telling stories.

"It's a really fun environment.

"Having Rochey (coach Tony Roche) back has been really good."

Rafter said one thing he has adopted from Bennett is banning mobile phones around the courts.

He is encouraged by the way team veteran Hewitt and rising youngster Tomic are getting on after their much-publicised differences.

"Obviously that was something we were concerned about when we came into it, but they have been fantastic," Rafter said.

"They've been getting along really well and that's been important."

Tomic's run to the Wimbledon quarter-finals boosts his ranking to 71, the best of any Australian male.

Injury-plagued Hewitt's plummeted to 173, making him only the fourth highest-ranked Australian.

Rafter took a diplomatic path when asked if Tomic was ready to take Hewitt's long-term position of Australia's No.1 Davis Cup singles player.

"Lleyton is our leader. He's been doing it for a long time. He knows what it's like to play in Davis Cup, but Bernard is our new man. He's our number one player," Rafter said.

"They are the two senior players right now. I don't look at them as one and two as such. They are pretty equal when it comes to that.

"Lleyton's ranking doesn't reflect his competitiveness and where he should be. He's had illnesses and injuries, so don't read too much into that.

"Bernard will probably come into his own in the middle of next year. I think he'll start peaking by that time."

He said the pair are pencilled in for the singles spots, although Hewitt's foot will be monitored and Tomic still has the cold he caught in London.

Rafter expects both men to play, but said 141st-ranked Marinko Matosevic is still in the singles mix, while Hewitt and and Chris Guccione are his preferred doubles team.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #88
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #89
country flag Ausie

Tomic and Matosevic to lead Davis Cup charge

In a surprising twist on Davis Cup eve, Australia named Marinko Matosevic and Bernard Tomic in its two singles berths, holding back Lleyton Hewitt for doubles.

“Lleyton was obviously having problems during Wimbledon with his foot,” Australian Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter explained. “He’s okay but we want to make sure he’s right for the doubles. He’s got a big season ahead of him through America as well, the hard court season. We are hoping he keeps his body right for the rest of the year.”

Australia and China square off tomorrow in the first day of this Asia Oceania Group One second round tie of Davis Cup by BNP Paribas. The winner earns a berth in the World Group Playoff in September.

Matosevic will open proceedings at the Beijing International Tennis Centre against the talented young Chinese number two Wu Di.

“Marinko has been training very hard and we’ve got a lot of confidence that Marinko can do the job tomorrow,” was Rafter’s assessment.

The 25-year-old will become the 101st Australian to play Davis Cup.

“I feel very honoured and privileged and grateful to Pat and Tony and Lleyton for giving me the chance to play,” Matosevic said. “I found out (I was playing) last night after dinner and I was speechless for a few moments.”

The Melburnian beat Wu Di in Caloundra earlier this year and is confident he can do well.

“I have been practising well and I had an okay Wimbledon where I qualified so I’m looking forward to playing tomorrow,” he said.

Bernard Tomic will play 21-year-old Zhang Ze in the second of the singles matches tomorrow.

Hewitt and Chris Guccione will meet Gong Maoxin and Li Zhe in Saturday’s doubles with the reverse singles played on Sunday.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #90
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad Matosevic is getting a go they really dont need Lleyton to play singles.
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote