The "...wow" thread - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #76
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Now that you sneaked up into the top 8, prove that you belong there" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
ESPN's Hannah Storm keeps calling Murray Roddick even if a photo of Murray is staring her in the face.
oy

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #77
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Now that you sneaked up into the top 8, prove that you belong there" thread

It is good he finished it in 3, it would have been bad to play 4 days in row.
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #78
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick: One-Slam wonder? Well, that's one more than most

Day 3

I was pretty happy with everything in my match (Wednesday). I played clean, a lot better than my first round. I was sticking returns, hit 15 aces and won 93% of my first serves. Although I was on Centre Court, I didn't want to play under the retractable roof. I've heard it makes the conditions a little slower. The air is more humid, and the balls get a little bit bigger and don't travel as fast. I was happy when they said they were going to open the roof before my match since the day started with rain and it was closed.

On the other hand, it was a good feeling knowing I was guaranteed to play. I was here Monday ready to play all day. My match got canceled late. Played Tuesday, played Wednesday. I didn't want to get canceled (Wednesday) and wake up with that mentality of having to play for five consecutive days. So it was a little bit of a relief knowing that I was going to get my match in no matter what.

Actually, I was surprised I was scheduled on Centre Court with (Rafael) Nadal and (Andy) Murray on the docket. My camp and I always try to predict where and what time I'm going to play. We were 0-fer. No one got that one. We normally have a pretty good idea. Later in the day is better for U.S. TV (since we are five hours ahead of ET) and I'm behind Murray and Nadal on my side of the draw pecking-order wise. You can get a pretty good gauge on where you're going to be but we were wrong on this one. I can't predict where I'll be Friday because I haven't seen all the matchups yet.

It's my 11th Wimbledon and a lot has changed and much hasn't. There is new player dining area, new courts like No. 2 last year and this year the newly built No. 3. Court 1 was new when I first arrived here. The thing that's cool is that a lot of changed but they're still able to make it feel like the old place. They do a great job of incorporating the new with tradition.

My coach Larry Stefanki and I have been together a few years now, too. It's always a challenge to keep it fresh, but we haven't tried to do anything consciously about that. I have a lot of faith in his opinion on tennis. He's seen a lot. He's coached every different style from (Tim) Henman to (Marcelo) Rios to (John) McEnroe. He's meticulous as far as notes and remembering matches. He literally has notes from every match I've ever played, certain points, tendencies, etc. He's just well studied. I respect that.

I don't care when people use the term "one-Slam wonder" with me. (Actually, nearly half of the major winners in the Open era — 24 of 51 — fit that category). People say it as a bad thing. The people who say it I swear don't have a Grand Slam title. I think the term "wonder" suggests you have won one and gone away. I've played in five Grand Slam finals. I haven't gone anywhere. I've been here the last decade. You'd better be pretty good if you're going to throw that term around nonchalantly.

But I do wonder about the lack of statistical awareness in our sport. I'd like to see us get fired up in tennis about other numbers besides the Slams — 500 homers in baseball, things like that. Or a certain number of match wins that was magical or more celebrated. I wish we had those hallowed marks. We have one mark, which is tough. It would be like judging Karl Malone on nothing but one stat.

I have a day off before my next match. I'll probably have a light hit of 30-45 minutes. My wife Brooklyn wants to go to a movie in the afternoon. She's been eager to take me to this movie Bridesmaids for a while. I think she's already seen it three times.

Next up is Feliciano Lopez. I've never lost to him (7-0), but we've had some really close matches. Very tough. Lefty. Chips the ball around, likes to volley. His game is almost tailor-made for grass. He likes playing on the surface as much as I do. He's been to the quarterfinals here a couple times and we just played at Queens in the first round. I was down a break in the third and won.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...-roddick_n.htm

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #79
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

It's scary how much better his serve looks, and so strange that it took them so long to figure out the problem. But better late than never.

also, seeing andy play this well is great but it pisses me the F off because it makes you wonder WTF he's doing the other 99% of the time

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #80
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

it's ok, donkey noddick. you'll never win 5 consecutive matches. good to see the gold digging parents there.... how sweet...not.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #81
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Andy played great yesterday. The serve is back and the movement and ball striking look excellent. Still hoping Murray loses to Gasquet or someone else first though...but the good news is that Mugray hasn't played well at all and has looked tight every match. Hmm..
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #82
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Andy-Lopez first on Centre Court tomorrow.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #83
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
Andy played great yesterday. The serve is back and the movement and ball striking look excellent. Still hoping Murray loses to Gasquet or someone else first though...but the good news is that Mugray hasn't played well at all and has looked tight every match. Hmm..
If/when he starts being able to do it 2/3/+ matches in a row, then we'll see.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #84
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

That just hurts because you finally have to face facts that Andy is done. What's going to hurt is that everyone is just going to push him aside like he's trash, forgetting what he's done in the past. I just hurt for him. And to not even get a set.
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #85
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
If/when he starts being able to do it 2/3/+ matches in a row, then we'll see.
Like I said.

The sad thing is I wish I could be surprised. Onyx I think you are right. He can't stay healthy long enough to build any confidence and momentum and even when he says he's healthy physically his head is gone more than ever.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #86
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute

He should maybe fire Larry...I don't know. Not that it is his fault, but Andy's results have been crap for more than a year. He should try something different, something new. Or just retire.
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #87
country flag tsurupettan
aeroDYNAMIC

tsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond reputetsurupettan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "...wow" thread

i saw [part of] his presser that was shown on espn. nothing out of the ordinary, really -- disappointed (ofc), gave all the credit to feli, got a bit testy with a couple of the questions and how they were worded, but it was nice to see him still make a few jokes in between and even smile/laugh near the end [of what they aired].

tsurupettan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #88
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, it's very disappointing. Seeing how he played the last match and with the great results he had last year...I still believe he's got another great run left in him. We'll just have to see. I disagree with Andy though, the year he made the Wimbly final he made the semis of AO, had a good by his standards clay season and then the finals of Wimbly after pulling out of Queens with a tweaked ankle. So if he can stay healthy and post some solid results in the HC season...it's definitely possible. As of right now though he's not a top 10 player.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #89
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodfanpe666o View Post
He should maybe fire Larry...I don't know. Not that it is his fault, but Andy's results have been crap for more than a year. He should try something different, something new. Or just retire.
He can hire and fire as many people as he wants, it means nothing if he doesn't listen to any of them. Dean, John, Jimmy, Brad, Larry, I really doubt they've all told him very much different stuff. It seems obvious to the whole tennis world what Andy needs to do and he doesn't do it when it matters. He hasn't come back from 0-2 sets since the USO Semi in 2003 which i think for a great fighter like him is really bad. He hasn't been mentally the same for a long time now, this is nothing new he's just having more physical problems on top of it making it all the worse.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #90
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I could really see him retiring before he wins another slam and making one big comeback run to win one at Wimbledon or something.

Literally getting his head out of the game maybe the only thing that may help.
He has maintained enough consistency overall to settle for good, which it has been- good.
We all know (i think) and he does too, it could be one step better!
Consistently.
Ugh.

Last edited by partygirl : 06-25-2011 at 09:42 PM.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote