Tips for my backhand. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
country flag Trypt

Trypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond reputeTrypt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips for my backhand.

When I was young (13 and under), and ranked, and a practice partner for Monica Seles before her junior tournament back in Yugoslavia (she is 3 years older then me and didn't have anyone, I was there, and she pointed at me, lol), my strongest tool was my two handed backhand.

Yet today, for some reason it's gone. If I go for a flat shot or top spin at all, it's usually one handed, but I have gone to slicing it, and that is a huge departure from what used to be by far the strongest part of my game, even into my early 20s. Now in my early 30s, when I do want a flat and hard backhand, I have to go one-handed, and it's a hit/miss, when I hit it, it's incredible and very fast, but this is a 1 in 5 luck of the draw, usually it's in the net (rarely long).

Now, I just wonder should I continue just practicing a one handed backhand, or go back to what worked for me for 15 years from 6 years old to early 20s, a strong two hander which could do anything I wanted it to (I have no idea how I lost it).

My forehand, somehow, has become my weapon, when it was never that much of one, now it's feared in my local club, especially the flat down the line, but also the top spin just over the net with a high bounce. I just don't know what is happening to my game.
Trypt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for my backhand.

That is a pretty crazy gamestyle history

At least your forehand is good now As for your backhand, go for what is comfortable.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
country flag FMeier

FMeier is on a distinguished road

If the two-hander used to work for you than there is a better chance that you will get that to work than going to a one-hander! That motion is stored in your brain and should come back with enough practice.

The key is of course to develop some good technique with either the one-hander or the two-hander; getting into the key body positions that all great backhands have in common!

Good Luck!

------------------------
Florian Meier
www.onlinetennisinstruction.com
FMeier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
country flag pferg

pferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond repute

Keep that backhand compact. Follow through and lean into it for more power.

Join your local tennis ladder for free.
Find new hitting partners.
Challenge yourself to climb the ladder!
pferg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote