New to Tennis - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
country flag knuckledragger

knuckledragger is on a distinguished road
Default New to Tennis

I'm a wrestling and MMA coach and my two daughters (10 & 14 yrs old) have fallen in love with tennis, a sport I know little about. We live in a remote area where coaching isn't the best. Hoping for some tips or advice on resources (how to videos?)that might help them.

www.slowmotioncoach.com
knuckledragger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
country flag FerrerAndNadal
Banned!

FerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Tennis

Welcome, Glad you found it. There are many sources for that. But you must remember the one and only rule for watching tennis. You must be a fan of Rafael Nadal
FerrerAndNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Banned!

FerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond reputeFerrerAndNadal has a reputation beyond repute

youtube.com/fyb2007

fuzzyyellowballs.com

This guy is great, he'll tell you all the techniques.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #4

Rafael Nadal? To be honest, I'm used to more violent sports but I have all girls so I guess it's time get to know this sport and who Rafael is...

Thanks for the youtube reference I'll watch it with the girls. It's just hard to know what is legit and will really help so the recommendation is appreciated!

www.slowmotioncoach.com
Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckledragger View Post
Rafael Nadal? To be honest, I'm used to more violent sports but I have all girls so I guess it's time get to know this sport and who Rafael is...

Thanks for the youtube reference I'll watch it with the girls. It's just hard to know what is legit and will really help so the recommendation is appreciated!
Those videos are mostly more advanced techniques I believe, but they have videos of pros swings men and women in slow motion and I think they work on basics in some videos too. I wouldn't know where to find basic basic stuff but beginning tennis is not that complicated really. Your girls should be fine. Especially if they are having fun. I doubt they care about being really really competitive with it or else they would have started way earlier. Glad to see they are into it. . Good luck on your quest for more information. I wish someone other than me would reply though. This goes out to all of you reading this thread but too lazy to reply.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly do you want help with? If you want your girls to become pros or something then youtube vids will not help you.
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
What exactly do you want help with? If you want your girls to become pros or something then youtube vids will not help you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't listen to trolls like this.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #8

We are a competitive family by nature so they just want to win, but the local competition isn't too advanced (thank goodness!). The girls aren't looking at scholarships or anything, they just want to be the best they can. As a father-daughter team we're trying to learn, especially the mechanics of the basics.

www.slowmotioncoach.com
Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
country flag DipSet
Banned!

DipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond reputeDipSet has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also new to this tennis thing but I saw a couple of days ago what kind of paper this tennis players get it's serious ass tapping going on, no homo
DipSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
country flag chenx15

chenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond repute

go to talk tennis by tennis warehouse. MTF is just a player bashing sight. talk tennis will actually give you some information to play the game. just remember, tennis is all about spins not hitting
Fed ... don't F this up. You got the break. Just finish this. I got work tomorrow, I got kids... wife needs affection. Give me a break man.
chenx15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

knuckledragger, there's a section of this forum you could check out: http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

It has hints for amateurs and other stuff like that that may be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1yer View Post
Olympics SIngles GOLD is the most important criteria for this.
If one doesnt have it - He aint elite - pure and simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
So, Miloslav Mecir and Marc Rosset are elite, John McEnroe and Ival Lendl are not. Got you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
So Massu > Djokovic, Federer, Lendl, McEnroe, and Sampras
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #12
country flag chenx15

chenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond repute

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/
Fed ... don't F this up. You got the break. Just finish this. I got work tomorrow, I got kids... wife needs affection. Give me a break man.
chenx15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #13
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Google "tennis for you.com". I was going to post the direct link but this board is masking the link.
You can register there and ask anything you want to know about training etc. There are lots of very knowledgeable people who play tennis on a regular basis. You can read diaries of other members. The board is very friendly. There is a section with a fantastic collection of videos etc. Cheers and good luck.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
country flag pferg

pferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Let's get them started on http://www.tennisladders.net. We can create a beginners ladder for you in your own neighborhood. Please email us if you are interested. This will allow your daughters to find their full potential in the sport!

Join your local tennis ladder for free.
Find new hitting partners.
Challenge yourself to climb the ladder!
pferg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote