There is no finish line... - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #91
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is no finish line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
So with today's win over Monaco at Miami, Federer has overtaken Sampras with a total of 763 singles wins to date. Next up is Edberg (currently 6th on the all-time list with 806), followed by McEnroe (867) and Agassi (870). The top 3 are rounded off with Vilas (920), Lendl (1070) and Connors (1222) and are realistically beyond his reach.
Vilas is possible if he plays long enough : 3 or 4 years should do it
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #92
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I hope Federer continues to play for 4-5 years even if his results tail off a little. The number of impressive stats and records he can achieve by simply raking in 60 wins a year is stupendous.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #93
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Federer ties Lendl's record of 28 consecutive 4th rounds in Slams, excellent achievement. Another win has him break Connors 27 consecutive QF's in entered Slams. Then at Wimbledon, a 4th round would break Lendl's record of 28 4th rounds.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #94
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
Federer ties Lendl's record of 28 consecutive 4th rounds in Slams, excellent achievement. Another win has him break Connors 27 consecutive QF's in entered Slams. Then at Wimbledon, a 4th round would break Lendl's record of 28 4th rounds.
That's what I initially thought but now notice that Lendl's record for consecutive 4th rounds in Slams is actually 29. And if you extend that to consecutive slams participated then it is 34 (although there were 3 Slams within this period in which he did not enter).

I really hope he can break Connors' consecutive QF record in slams entered - even more impressive as Rog's feat would be consecutive.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #95
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I really hope he can break Connors' consecutive QF record in slams entered - even more impressive as Rog's feat would be consecutive.
Really, it's only Lendl and Connors now that he's competing with, aside from Sampras going 10 years and 10 months in the top 10, (and that blasted 7 wimbledon) and Agassi's match wins in the ATP tour era.

He has a shot, if playing well, to match Johnny Mac's win percentage too.

Edit, just tied Agassi with at least 46 wins at all 4 slams. Lendl is two away at 48 (wimbledon and the AO).

After that, the only one left is Connors, who's the all surface champ with 59 clay wins.

He's also 9 wins at the USO from Johnny Mac, which would make him top 5 at all 4 slams. Also never has been done before. Agassi came the closest, falling 5 short of Borg at Wimbledon.

He needs 10 more wins at Wimbly and 9 more at the FO to be top 5 in all surfaces, passing Agassi at 5 (52 clay wins), and Edberg/Vilas (65 grass wins). Also never been done before.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.

Last edited by JediFed : 05-27-2011 at 06:09 PM.
JediFed is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #96
country flag Apophis

Quote:
That's what I initially thought but now notice that Lendl's record for consecutive 4th rounds in Slams is actually 29. And if you extend that to consecutive slams participated then it is 34 (although there were 3 Slams within this period in which he did not enter).

According to this timeline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Le...mance_timeline Lendl has 28 (it starts at FO 1983, the non-entered AusOpen 1982 was his last tournament before the streak)

I also count 34 in entered slams, hadn't thought of that record yet, good one. He also has 37 consecutive 3rd rounds in slams entered, and 40 second rounds.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #97
country flag Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Really, it's only Lendl and Connors now that he's competing with, aside from Sampras going 10 years and 10 months in the top 10, (and that blasted 7 wimbledon) and Agassi's match wins in the ATP tour era.

He has a shot, if playing well, to match Johnny Mac's win percentage too.

Edit, just tied Agassi with at least 46 wins at all 4 slams. Lendl is two away at 48 (wimbledon and the AO).

After that, the only one left is Connors, who's the all surface champ with 59 clay wins.

He's also 9 wins at the USO from Johnny Mac, which would make him top 5 at all 4 slams. Also never has been done before. Agassi came the closest, falling 5 short of Borg at Wimbledon.

He needs 10 more wins at Wimbly and 9 more at the FO to be top 5 in all surfaces, passing Agassi at 5 (52 clay wins), and Edberg/Vilas (65 grass wins). Also never been done before.
I like that 48-at-each-slam record, hope he gets there here. He could probably lift it to 55-60, perhaps beating Vilas's 56 FO wins in the process. Connors' 233 is also a nice one, though in this case eras are difficult to compare. Nonetheless a very significant record.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #98
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond reputeMM_1257 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger's record of most conssecutive matches won by still active players is in serious danger - thanks to Delpo.
MM_1257 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #99
country flag solowyn
Banned!

solowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond repute

Djoko deserves it It's impressive to come into slam pressure and still continue the streak.

A shame that Fed lost so early in IW that year, ofc.
solowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #100

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

We have an open era record now with the most consecutive QF appearances at Roland Garros at 7. He is now one away from equalling Aggassi and Vila's non-consecutive record.

Also, he has pulled away from Connors in reaching 28 QF or better appearances at consecutive Grand Slam tournaments participated in.

Quote:
According to this timeline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Le...mance_timeline Lendl has 28 (it starts at FO 1983, the non-entered AusOpen 1982 was his last tournament before the streak)
Hmm...I seem to count 29 from USO 1982 to AO 1990 (excluding the AO not held in 1986).

Last edited by ApproachShot : 05-29-2011 at 02:23 PM.
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #101
country flag Apophis

Quote:
We have an open era record now with the most consecutive QF appearances at Roland Garros at 7. He is now one away from equalling Aggassi and Vila's non-consecutive record.

Also, he has pulled away from Connors in reaching 28 QF or better appearances at consecutive Grand Slam tournaments participated in.
Glad to finally have gotten rid of all the people confusing both records.
Quote:

Hmm...I seem to count 29 from USO 1982 to AO 1990 (excluding the AO not held in 1986).
But he didn't play the Australian Open in December 1982, after that US Open.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #102

Quote:
But he didn't play the Australian Open in December 1982, after that US Open.
Ah yes, of course. Well I guess that settles another record then!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #103
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.

Consecutive:

F/S/QF/4R/3R/2R

Chasing Ferreira for 1R, and Lendl for 4R at slams attended (34 vs 28). Took 10 years for Lendl to make that record.

One point, the MPs against Del Potro. Or he'd have the set. Pity. If he had beaten Nadal at the AO, he would have had 7 in a row.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Indeed.

Consecutive:

F/S/QF/4R/3R/2R

Chasing Ferreira for 1R, and Lendl for 4R at slams attended (34 vs 28). Took 10 years for Lendl to make that record.

One point, the MPs against Del Potro. Or he'd have the set. Pity. If he had beaten Nadal at the AO, he would have had 7 in a row.
Just a small note - I think he was 2 points away from beating Del Potro but never had match points. He was also 2 points away from beating Davydenko at that year's WTF and that would have been enough to see him through to the finals.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #105
country flag JediFed

Well that DelPo loss looms huge now. A pity, really.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF