Expenses and life on tour (Amir Weintraub's blog, Tursunov's interview June 2013) - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #136
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (135#) (22/5/11) Clay and I - by Amir Weintraub

Thanks for the translation once again, Or. Very interesting, as always.

Sad to hear the mental state Amir is in. Sounds like he needs a mentor or someone to help him think things through in a different way.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #137
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really pulling for this guy.

Thanks Or Levy for the translation
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #138
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzil View Post

Sad to hear the mental state Amir is in. Sounds like he needs a mentor or someone to help him think things through in a different way.
Why do you sau "the mental state Amir is in"? Sounds to me that he took a perfectiy pragmatic decision not to play clay, especially since he is in no position to practice for it.

Good to get this update

Respectfully,
masterclass

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #139
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting and heart-felt read, thanks Or Levy for posting!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #140
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
Why do you sau "the mental state Amir is in"? Sounds to me that he took a perfectiy pragmatic decision not to play clay, especially since he is in no position to practice for it.

Good to get this update
i think gonzil is referring to the effect that the variable of 'point collecting' can have on performance... it is an undesirable variable that adds unneeded mental and often emotional pressure to the tour grind...

it is no secret that players perform better when they being bankrolled by a sponsor... they can find a cloudless, clarity of thought that aides focus on high performance alone without the spectre of not knowing safety in the near future... aka freedom, lack of fear

though, developing an ability to get past the worry, and being able to find that clarity and focus on performance alone will make you a stronger player mentally - it is just the scenic route, and potentially, a much longer road...

everyone is different, but having worked with someone at a level similar level to where amir is at now, de-clouding the mind was a matter of finding why the player was holding the racquet in the first place... ie; rediscovering the most simple thing - a pure love for the game thereby allowing competition to turn you on and not turn you off... rediscovering the simplest joy of feeling the ball upon the strings for that single fraction of a second, finding a way to enjoy the challenge posed...

i might be totally f**king wrong about what gonzil meant tho...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #141
country flag Gonzil

Gonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond reputeGonzil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
i think gonzil is referring to the effect that the variable of 'point collecting' can have on performance... it is an undesirable variable that adds unneeded mental and often emotional pressure to the tour grind...

i might be totally f**king wrong about what gonzil meant tho...
Yes, that is what I meant. I have no internal knowledge, but chasing after points just can't be the best way to go.

And here is Weintraub at a career high, but instead of enjoying it and deriving confidence from it, he is worrying about what will come in the next weeks.

I understand there are pragmatic considerations, but surely you are more likely to win matches when you are feeling good about what you are doing, than when you are worrying about what will happen to your points if you lose.

Anyway, I hope Amir finds the best way forward for him - I guess I am just one of many people rooting for him because of his blog.
Gonzil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #142
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, that is what I meant. I have no internal knowledge, but chasing after points just can't be the best way to go.

And here is Weintraub at a career high, but instead of enjoying it and deriving confidence from it, he is worrying about what will come in the next weeks.

I understand there are pragmatic considerations, but surely you are more likely to win matches when you are feeling good about what you are doing, than when you are worrying about what will happen to your points if you lose.

Anyway, I hope Amir finds the best way forward for him - I guess I am just one of many people rooting for him because of his blog.
ok - fast clay and your explanation makes sense, and yes, we certainly all hope the very best for Amir

Respectfully,
masterclass

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Richard Cook
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #143
country flag VIPer7

VIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation again!
Too bad Amir didn't play the Fergana challenger last week, which had a very weak field --> he would have been #4 seed! He might even have made an Israeli final against Dudi!
VIPer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #144
country flag willoughby

willoughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPer7 View Post
Too bad Amir didn't play the Fergana challenger last week, which had a very weak field --> he would have been #4 seed! He might even have made an Israeli final against Dudi!
at least he won Israel F4 last week and is the top-seed again this week at F5
willoughby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #145
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, some Amir updates, if anyone is interesting. He's currently looking for someone to share a hotel room (84 pounds per night) with him, as he made it to Wimby qualies. Really shows you how much those guys struggle.

I wonder why there isn't some kind of ITF/ATP message board, open only to players, in which they can post such things - I bet there are other qualifying players looking to share rooms.

And that's a new photo from his facebook, nice.

Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #146
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, he looks hot. Sorry for the shallow comment, I had to say it.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #147
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

He looks like Novak but more Israeli
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #148
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (118#) (16/3/11) - "A week that really happened" - by Amir Weintr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
New Blog Post: Clay and I - not the greatest love story:

Well, Roland Garros is here already and you've probably noticed there are no Israeli players in the men singles competition , not even in qualies. The real reason? A little unpleasant to admit, but clay just isn't for us. Dudi decided to skip the entire clay season, and clay and I aren't exactly a love story, either.

Before you 'judge' us for escaping from the clay and ask how this is possible, then there are a couple of things you must understand. First of all, the success I'm now experiencing with the rise in my ranking is accompanied mostly by the pressure to chase after points. Although I earned 64 points since the beginning of the year, which is more than three times what I earned last year in the same period - it is really nothing, because for three months I didn't do any points, which makes me really nervous knowing that really soon I'm going to have to start defending the points I made last year.

Defending points on clay? Fat chance, it's not worth the travel. This is how I've found myself since the beginning of the clay season playing very few competitions and mostly sitting on my ass, looking for places to travel to. To my great regret, when we grew up there were only two clay courts in Israel at a very low level, and we always found ourselves training on hard-courts. Today we play the price. It's hard to explain those differences, and how little you can change them in such a short period, to those who do not play the game. The surface is slow, the balls bounce high and the points are longer. And that's not the least of it, the problem is that the movement on clay is totally different than it is on hardcourt. If I wanted to compete decently on the clay, I'd have to practice in Europe for at least two months without any competitions, only to get used to the right movement on the court, get used to the height of the bounce and to the physical fitness this surface requires. No way do I have two months to leave everything and train for the clay season.

So, what does the 'escape from clay' means, numbers wise? Till today I played on clay, in my entire career (main draws of futures and challengers) – 6 matches, in comparison to the 281 matches I playd on hardcourts.

At least it's not just me. During my time with Dudi in south Korea I have discovered he can't stand the bloody clay either. Dudi has experienced the same thing as I do, he's already out of the top 100, and as he's unable to get into the main draw of big tournaments he had to play some challengers, and there aren't too many of those this year because of the global economics and the fact the amount of tournaments had been severely decreased. The lack of tournaments and the big demand has also caused the cut-off to become much higher. For example in Paris the cut for qualies is 222. 10 years ago it was 287, so I'm definitely out. So, I returned to Israel to play some futures trying to scrape some points. Dudi also decided it is better to take safe points in small tournaments over running to Paris, where he had to play qualies.

As strange as it may sounds, as I get higher up the ranking I find myself play less. Chasing after points and the inability to get into tournaments made me play maybe half of the tournaments I played during the equivalent period in 2010. Defending points is not a simple task at all and it always haunts you, no matter what your ranking is and how many points you have to defend.

I have dinner with Dudi and we immediately start talking 'math'. I tell him that my situation stinks, as I have 25 points to defend next month, otherwise I'd slide down the ranking. He looks at me and smiles. "Your situation is good, I have 80 points to defend next week, and 20 the week after and 40 the week after that". I look at him and say nothing.

And then I think that relatively speaking, he's not doing too bad. How is Djokovic going to defend next year all of the points he's making now?
Good question. Honestly the ranking system is really hard on the players, and not only those on the top as it seems.
I really love reading this blog since it gives a true and realistic account of the life of an average tennis player. It is as tough as it gets. Respect.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #149
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumpdasco View Post
He looks like Novak but more Israeli
He does, I've noticed the physical similarities as well.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #150
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Its frankly shocking that someone ranked within the 300 best in his profession worldwide needs to share hotel rooms to qualify for a Grand Slam.

The 300 best ranked baseball, football, or hockey player in North America is a millionaire.
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote