Groove Dude cheering thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #31
country flag Winnipeg
Banned!

Winnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groove Dude cheering thread

a guy I used to hit with once who played some futures qualies went to UCF....his name is Karol Szmurlo... have u heard of him???...he beat me 7/5 in the set we played.
Winnipeg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #32
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

any updates Jon?

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #33
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
a guy I used to hit with once who played some futures qualies went to UCF....his name is Karol Szmurlo... have u heard of him???...he beat me 7/5 in the set we played.
Haven't heard of the guy but I looked him up at it looks like he played at UWF and is now at FAU. No mention of UCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laba View Post
Any updates, man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
any updates Jon?
Well, since you asked

I've been playing on the UCF club team for about 6 weeks now, and my game has improved drastically. My forehand, which has always been lethal, is now spot on. I'm hitting it deep with heavy spin on just about every shot. My backhand drive has improved as well, although I am still working on weight transfer on that side and trying to get it deeper. My backhand slice has also gotten some nice play and its a solid shot, especially for returning big serves out wide on the ad side or up the T on the deuce side.

I sometimes can't decide whether to hit the slice as a drop shot, the little Federer mid-court slice that forces the opponent to come in on a less-than-stellar approach which gives me an easy pass, or to float it back deep. I just need to make it more consistent.

My footwork, speed around the court, and ridiculous defense are as good as ever, but my serve is waaaay too inconsistent, and my fitness is not where it needs to be. Both qualities are as good as they ever have been, but improvement in all areas can still be achieved.

I need to work off a bit of fat that I've still got hanging around my mid-section, and I need to strengthen my hips, abs, lower body, and I need to run more. My serves have improved, but I want to be able to hit flat, kick, or slice to all 6 corners of the box whenever I so choose to want to do it and I want to be able to hit all those serves from the same toss.

A lot on my plate tennis-wise, not to mention studies, college parties, and female distractions. I might be playing in that pre-qualie event in Delray in mid-November if I can get my game to where it needs to be in that time frame. I want to play it just to see where I am at and what I need to work on. I turn 20 in late November, and how I'm playing in the next few months will determine whether I will play the 6 futures in Florida in Spring 2010 or if I will save up my money and go for it next year, which is looking more likely.

My goals are to be the top guy on the club team by the end of the season in the spring, bring my grades back up and get an extra $4,000 in scholarships for next fall and spring, get a car around then, join the varsity team for my junior year, train harder, and play those futures in 2011 FOR SURE. The best player on the varsity team, Claudio Romano, has played a bunch of futures events in Venezuela, but I've seen him play and his game is solid, but unspectacular. I think I will be able to beat him in due time.

The only thing stopping me from advancing far in tennis would be the distractions of drugs and partying, and women.

I think these are more realistic goals. I know for a fact that I'll be in Rio 2016, though
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #34
country flag Winnipeg
Banned!

Winnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond reputeWinnipeg has a reputation beyond repute

what about Kyla McNicol ???
she is from winnipeg and lives here now....she played for UCF i believe!
Winnipeg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #35
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
what about Kyla McNicol ???
she is from winnipeg and lives here now....she played for UCF i believe!
I did some research, but I think she graduated before I enrolled

As for the tennis, I am taking a leave of absence to work solely on fitness. I haven't played for about 10 days, but I'm feeling stronger. I plan on running and training more and more the next few weeks until school starts up again and I practice with the club team. By that time, I plan to have all of my niggling injuries completely healed up and ready to assault some futures in early 2010.

Here's the rundown:

Now-Jan. 10, all fitness.
Jan. 11 Pick the racquets back up and train with the club team.
Jan. 18- Hollywood Futures event: "Too broke to play"
Jan. 25- Tamarac Futures event: "Too broke to play"
Jan. 30- Delray Beach Pre-Qualie event: "Would love to play, we'll see"
Feb. 13- Club tournament in Miami, at the courts of the TMS event
Feb. 27- Florida State Tournament in Daytona
Training all March.
March 29- Mobile Futures event: "Could possibly play"
Apr. 15- Club tennis Nationals in Arizona: "Hopefully if we win States"
Apr. 26- Vero Beach Future Event: "REALLY want to play"
May 3- Orange Park Future Event: "REALLY want to play"
May 10- Tampa Future Event: "NEED to play"

After that, who knows?

Quote:
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #36
Future ATP Star

Well that month of fitness has really paid off for me. I'm getting better by the day, and recently purchased my own stringing machine

Today I had an epic 5 set match vs. a guy who had beaten me 6-1 in the 4th the last time we played a best of 5 match.

It was about 2h45.

My serve was really crappy in the first set. I broke him the first game, then hit 4 straight double faults to give it back to him. The rest of that set I was fucking pissed. I was hitting double faults like Coria, I must have had at least 10 in that set alone. He took the set 6-2.

At the beginning of the 2nd, I told myself to just forget the first. It was a new match now. First point.

The 2nd was a tussle. My serve was getting better, not hitting many double faults, but lots of 2nd serves he was attacking. I had to play some solid defense and hit some wicked passing shots just to hold serve. I broke to go up 4-2, before he broke me right back. Then I broke again and served it out.

At this point, it was definitely a new match.

The time of the day was changing from day to night, and as darkness crept over the court, the court lights came on. The in-between time, though, I let the inconsistent light affect me too much. I played too aggressively in reduced visibility, and he went up 5-0!

That changeover, I was just like fuck it. I was already focused on the 4th set. But I relaxed and my game just began to start clicking on all levels. My serve wasn't missing, I must have hit about 70% first serves from then to the end of the match. I began playing more aggressively, hitting my forehand deeper and moving him around. I hit maybe 3 double faults from then to the end of the match, and my backhand, both the slice and 2hander were gaining consistency.

I came back to 5-4, with him serving for it one last time. I had the momentum in the match.

When he served at 5-4, I had 15-40, but he got it back to deuce. We switched ads back and forth, and I recall on 2 occasions, I had the break point for 5 all in the 3rd, got a second serve, moved inside the baseline, ran around it....only to strike it right into the net

He would eventually hold and take the 3rd set 6-4.

That night was the first night of the semester's recreational tennis league which my partner was also a part of. He played this really cute girl and finished her off pretty quickly 6-0 (I will refrain from making a sex joke here) and we got our match on in the 4th.

It was a nice 15 min break for me, and I got my shit together. I kept warm, and mentally got ready for the 4th, which was another dog fight. We were both played exceptional stuff, perfect strategy, lots of winners coming from all over. Drop shots, lobs, overhead smashes, an ace or two, a return of serve winner or two, and flying forehand winners.

I was serving at 4-2. Now, this is a notorious time for me to get broken. I can't tell you how many times I've been broken at 4-2

It was about a 10 deuce game, but I think it was the defining game in the match. I don't think I missed a first serve that whole game, but he was returning deep and solid for a neutral rally position. I was jerking him around with my heavy forehand, my approach shots were deep, but my net close still needs work. He was hitting some nice passing shots, many on the line off both sides. Something I need to improve on.

Around the 4th deuce of that game, my legs began to feel like jello. My body was slightly muscle numb and it felt pretty good

He had break points on most of the deuces and I was constantly having to save break points, about half on 2nd serves. My first ad was the 10th and I took advantage. He crushed my 2nd serve and moved in and I barely got my racquet on it over the net. His volley wasn't the best, allowing me to scramble into my forehand corner to flick a half-volley winner down the line

After I held, he asked what the score was, and I told him 5-2 with a grin on my face and he was like "Fuck!"

We exchanged holds to set up a 5th set. I went to go fill up my water bottle and when I came back to the court, I told him:

"Somebody said that when you're in a 5th set, it isn't even about the tennis anymore. It's all about guts, glory, and what you're really made of. It's about who wants it more."

I went up 2-0 to start the 5th. I thought he looked just about done physically. He was going for big forehand winners from neutral positions and missing badly into the fence on the fly on some of them. I was playing very consistent and wasn't making many errors, like a righty Nadal to be honest.

He served at 0-2 and I had many break points. He was talking about a bagel (as he had the set before when he was up 5-0), but I wasn't falling for it.

He ended up holding, but my double faultitis from the 1st set comes in at the worst time possible. 3 double faults and a forehand into the net has him break me at love for 2 all...

I could have lost it now, especially since what was left of the body high I had from the 4th set was definitely all gone after that shitty game. The 2 all game was another epic eventually won by me. After that I knew it was about over. He was physically toasted and had probably gone through the same mental and emotion rollercoaster I had.

I held at 15 to get to 4-2, broke him to love, and then served it out to 30 to seal it 6-2 in the 5th. The best part? 100% first serves, one ace, plenty of forehand approach shot winners, even a backhand volley winner

I hit a Sampras-like overheard smash to set up match point, which was a long, tough rally. I hit a short backhand slice and he comes into the net. My slice was pretty good, and his approach wasn't the best. Even though I was dead tired, I was able to get over to my forehand and hit a decent lob over his head and closed the net. He was able to get to it and hit a screamer right at me. My forehand volley landed right in his strike zone ( ), but he missed a return lob long.

Such a huge match win He'd beaten me a few times in a row before tonight.

And we both have practice tomorrow I'll be dead tired and aching when I wake up tomorrow morning, but for right now, I'm on top of the world

Quote:
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #37
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Great review of a match! Have you got video of you playing?
5-set matches are always exciting, but the guy I usually train with is such a headcase, that he always gives up after losing any close sets, so our usual score is like 7-5 6-0 6-2. I have never played a 5-setter in my life
When are you going to play your 1st future tournament? As for me, I aim to go to Spain in july to play a couple of futures.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #38
Future ATP Star

Thanks man Yeah, 5 setters are really crazy. I lost to the same guy last week 1-6 in the 4th and felt terrible after. After this win, I felt fantastic. It's wild what differing emotions the outcome of a match can elicit.

As for me, I want to play some futures in April, early May

Good luck in Spain, dude

Quote:
Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #39
Future ATP Star

Unfortunately, I was unable to play those futures the past few weeks, and my goal is a couple of futures in November. I have a new video, though.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #40
country flag Ozone

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos Groover!
Interesting toss, but it looks like you get the job done

Somebody needs a hitting partner

BAGHDATIS | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO | TIPSY

JOHN | KENDO | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | SWEETING |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock Forever
Ozone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #41
Future ATP Star

Thanks, Ozone.

I need to work on my balance more than anything. It's gettin' there.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #42
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute

Your service toss reminds me of Montanes.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #43
country flag Hortinha

Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha Hortinha

Any updates?
Hortinha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #44
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that serve movement is ugly.

The aspect ratio of that video makes you look overweight. Very strange.

Good luck, though.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #45
country flag careergrandslam

careergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond repute

what is ur name and show us a picture of urself.
so we know to look out for u.

maybe oneday u will go up against rafa nadal, u have his helicopter forehand when u hit the inside in forehand.

im guessing ur a big rafa nadal fan?
careergrandslam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote