Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread! - Page 136 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #2026
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie the Cat's, formerly know as Stupid Dream - PROG ROCK thread!

This one's for Gu:

UK's Alaska

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #2027
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
Your opinion, but I think it's a rather sad one.
So there's no genuine prog-rock around anymore?

Do you want me to summ up all of the great proggy bands that I've discovered the past five years or so?
Do you have a week or so?

huh???

Keep sleeping, dear.
You've discovered neoprog bands. Progressive rock, like many other styles of artistic expression - was confined to temporal, cultural and stylistic boundaries. Guys born in the 70-80 can't make progressive rock - not the style named as such in the late 1960s.

Huh what? I've watched a DVD about their history. I'm quoting Geddy Lee ipsis litteris.

I'm not sleeping. I just can't take people impersonating the greats. Ripping Genesis off isn't making progressive rock - it's not even progressive nowadays.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #2028
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're asking me if I've ever tasted beer, or such?
I'm talking to our newer friend.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #2029
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
Listened to most of them actually, they're all great
Then you should know Rush has nothing to do with these records.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #2030
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
You've discovered neoprog bands. Progressive rock, like many other styles of artistic expression - was confined to temporal, cultural and stylistic boundaries.
It seems to me what you're saying here is that Rush can't be prog because they're Canadian, whereas all the other great prog bands you mentioned are British, as they (Rush) certainly fall within the stylistic and temporal boundaries. In my opinion, at least. You probably disagree.

Singles rank: #58
Doubles rank: #22

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles: W: Le Gosier CH 2013 (w/Goldenoldie) F AO 2014 (w/Goldenoldie) SF: AO 2013 (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012

Last edited by jmjhb : 04-19-2011 at 12:50 AM.
jmjhb is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #2031
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You've discovered neoprog bands. Progressive rock, like many other styles of artistic expression - was confined to temporal, cultural and stylistic boundaries. Guys born in the 70-80 can't make progressive rock - not the style named as such in the late 1960s.
Hey, Gu - in contrary to you, I just happen to appreciate the new generation of proggers trying their best. From your comments, I can't conclude otherwise than that you've NEVER even tried to listen to bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Anathema, Oceansize, The Pineapple Thief, Anekdoten, Hypnos69, et al. And many more....

My question to you, have you EVER even heard anything of their music at all?

Anathema

Old 04-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #2032
Anathemaniac

Here's just one of those vids of a FANTASTIC contemporary progband:

Hypnos69

What A LOVELY Band these Belgians are!

Anathema

Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #2033
Anathemaniac

And I guess this isn't PROGROCK either, Gu?

Way Out Of Here - by Arboretic Porc.

"And I'll try and forget you,
burn all your pictures, cut out your face... "

So beautiful.

Anathema

Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #2034
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
It seems to me what you're saying here is that Rush can't be prog because they're Canadian, whereas all the other great prog bands you mentioned are British, as they (Rush) certainly fall within the stylistic and temporal boundaries. In my opinion, at least. You probably disagree.
No it's not because they're Canadian. It's because stylistically the have more in common with Led Zeppelin than anything progressive.

Quote:
Hey, Gu - in contrary to you, I just happen to appreciate the new generation of proggers trying their best. From your comments, I can't conclude otherwise than that you've NEVER even tried to listen to bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Anathema, Oceansize, The Pineapple Thief, Anekdoten, Hypnos69, et al. And many more....

My question to you, have you EVER even heard anything of their music at all?
I have. They're boring and derivative to me, when they're not pure musical masturbation.

If I wanted to listen to Genesis-like music, I'd listen to Genesis. The same applies to other neoprog bands.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #2035
Anathemaniac

And of course... this magnificent song....

"Let's sleep together - right now -
Relieve the pressure, somehow! -"

Ah I guess ProgRock is indeed *dead*.

I have to LAUGH at that!

Anathema

Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #2036
Anathemaniac

Quote:
If I wanted to listen to Genesis-like music, I'd listen to Genesis. The same applies to other neoprog bands.
You've apparently completely missed out on the fact that the bands that I summorized over here are in NO WAY cheap Genesis-copy cats at all.
NOT FUCKING AT ALL.

But hey... if you rather feel like remaining a Nostalgia-tard, in stead of checking out all of the beautiful music contemporary prog bands make -
it's Your Choice - not mine.

Anathema

Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #2037
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

This argument could go on for days

Singles rank: #58
Doubles rank: #22

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles: W: Le Gosier CH 2013 (w/Goldenoldie) F AO 2014 (w/Goldenoldie) SF: AO 2013 (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #2038
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
And of course... this magnificent song....

"Let's sleep together - right now -
Relieve the pressure, somehow! -"

Ah I guess ProgRock is indeed *dead*.

I have to LAUGH at that!
Wow this is just awful.

It's actually nu-metal with keyboards. Awful.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #2039
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
You've apparently completely missed out on the fact that the bands that I summorized over here are in NO WAY cheap Genesis-copy cats at all.
NOT FUCKING AT ALL.

But hey... if you rather feel like remaining a Nostalgia-tard, in stead of checking out all of the beautiful music contemporary prog bands make -
it's Your Choice - not mine.
It's not about nostalgia.

I know what I like.

I'm sure Yes can still make good progressive rock. Even today.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #2040
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Wow this is just awful.

It's actually nu-metal with keyboards. Awful.
I might just put this in my siggie.

Anathema