2010 News, Cheers, Photos thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #31
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2010 News, Cheers, Photos thread

Mark actually won the champions series in Boston, went undefeated. Good sign I guess, hopefully he gets a wildcard into some up coming American challengers. He needs an ATP ranking, although I think he may actually still have that protected ranking but I'm not sure.

mark is winning the 2010 champions series overall.
Matchu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #32
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
Mark actually won the champions series in Boston, went undefeated. Good sign I guess, hopefully he gets a wildcard into some up coming American challengers. He needs an ATP ranking, although I think he may actually still have that protected ranking but I'm not sure.

mark is winning the 2010 champions series overall.
He has a protected ranking of 119 and has 6 uses left. I think he should enter an American Challenger soon, he seems to be in reasonable form, on the champions tour atleast.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
country flag Hewitt2010
Banned!

Hewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you see this result about Mark winning i just want to see who he played and what the scores were in his matches.
Hewitt2010 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.
I joined just to ask what were his scores? It mentions nothing of this tournament on the Champions website...
Daniel. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #35
country flag flip_fan

flip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond repute

My website: http://flipfans.blogspot.com/

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/flipfan0...urnaments2010#

Champions website: http://www.championsseriestennis.com/

Boston results :http://www.championsseriestennis.com...le_results.php

Quarterfinal - Mark Philippoussis def. Wayne Ferreira 6-3 6-2

Semifinal Match 1 - Philippoussis def. Courier 4-6 7-6 (5) 10-7

Championship Final - Philippoussis def. McEnroe 6-3 4-6 10-5 (TB)

some details about the final:
BOSTON, May 2, 2010 – Mark Philippoussis staved off John McEnroe 6-3, 4-6, 10-5 (Champions Tie-breaker) Sunday to win the $150,000 Staples Champions Cup for his first career title on the Champions Series circuit, the global tennis circuit for champion tennis players age 30 and over.

Phillippoussis, 33, earned $60,000 for the title as well as 800 ranking points to become the new Champions Series points leader for 2010.

Philippoussis cruised to a 5-0 lead out of the gate before McEnroe was able to get on the scoreboard. After McEnroe threatened to make the first set competitive by winning three games in a row, Philippoussis served out the set on his second opportunity. McEnroe jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second set, showing the spirit and fire that carried him into his fifth decade of competitive tennis. Philippoussis hung tough and connected on some blazing groundstroke winners – mixed with a few untimely McEnroe unforced errors – to break back in the seventh game of the second set. After each player then held their serve, McEnroe broke Philippoussis to win the second set 6-4, punctuated with a forehand volley winner, followed by a forceful fist-pump and scream of approval.

In the Champions Tie-breaker – a first-to-10-point tie-breaker played in lieu of a third set – Philippoussis proved to be too strong for the man 17 years his senior, hitting four aces, three groundstroke winners and winning six of the last seven points to close out the title.

“I knew I had to play some good tennis today,” said Philippoussis, who lost to Roger Federer in the 2003 Wimbledon final. “I wanted to play good tennis for myself more than anything. I came out good with an early break and things started to go my way. At 5-0, I had some set points and at 5-2, he started coming back and playing better and better. I think once he got into the match it got dangerous for me.”

Philippoussis, who was two years old when McEnroe won his first Grand Slam singles title at the 1979 U.S. Open, has been struggling with knee injuries over the last few years. He has undergone six knee surgeries - three on the right knee and three on the left – and is finally beginning to feel at full strength.

“This is about going out there and having fun and building strength on my body and my knee,” said Philippoussis. “This is about getting matches and getting on the court and doing what I love doing.”

McEnroe was appearing in the Boston final for a fourth time in the fifth year of the event. The 51-year-old, who won his only Boston title in 2008, said he felt extra motivated after being down 0-5 and proving that he could come back and make it a match.

“I was getting blown out,” said McEnroe. “I wanted to show that I have been playing well and hopefully if I could get it going. I felt that I had a chance at the end.

The turning point, he said, was the fumbled half-volley he dribbled into the net at 4-4 in Champions Tie-breaker.

“I had one bad point at four all,” said McEnroe. “I hesitated a little bit and the next thing you know it’s 8-4. I felt like I played well and it wasn’t like I was playing badly.”

Mark with Borg

recent blog from mark:
Dear Matuse Family,

Boston was a fun week and my first time visiting the city. I didn’t know but was surprised on how similar it was to my hometown Melbourne (Australia). The weather ended up being amazing but unfortunately I didn’t have the time to walk around and check out this gorgeous city.

I was invited to play a Champion Series Event which I was very exited about because it had an amazing field of players. Tennis legend Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Mats Wilander, Milael Pernfors, Jimmy Arias and Wayne Ferreira were all participating. The best thing about it is that they are all great guys so it makes the whole week that much better.

Before the event started I had a few appearances which I always enjoy. Kids day, pro ams and hitting with and meeting the sponsors. My first match was again Wayne Ferreira which is always a tough match. I won that 6/3, 6/2 and was happy with the way I played. The second one was going to be tougher because I was playing Jim Courier. He’s still playing some great tennis and hitting the ball well. The score was 4/6, 7/6, 10/6 (third set is a champions tie break first to 10). This was a fun match to play and I was happy that I was still hitting the ball well.

Now it’s finals day and I’m playing John McEnroe (I want to kick his ass because he was talking a little crap before the match). First set was 6/3 and I was up 5-0 but took my foot off the gas. I lost the second set 4/6 which I wasn’t happy about. Now 3rd set was the champions tie break and I didn’t want to lose to him (I wouldn’t hear the end of it otherwise). I played a great breaker and won it 10/5 along with bragging rights.

So that’s pretty much it for my week in Boston. I visited a great city, played well, hung with great people and pocketed some coin. It’s good to be back home in San Diego. I can’t wait to get into the water and surf the next South Swell.

Mark P.

Last edited by flip_fan : 05-24-2010 at 04:35 AM.
flip_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #36
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel. has a reputation beyond repute

If Mark had planned to make a serious comeback he has most probably ruined the ideal opportunity.
He had clearly trained and was in decent form when he won that Champions event. He should have continued training and played the Nottingham challenger, Queens or Eastbourne and Wimbledon.
He would have gotten wildcards into MD or atleast qualies as everyone loves him.
Now he's missed the grass season for another year and that being a soft surface, and his favourite surface by far...

He probably wouldn't have done very well, may be he would have, but if this "comeback" is going to happen that was the opportunity!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #37
country flag flip_fan

flip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond repute

daniel i agree.. i said it at the start of the year, if Mark wasn't playing challengers by june then there's no more hope left for a 'comeback'.

it's so bizarre i can barely make sense of it anymore. One moment he's talking about it, the next he's talking as if it's all over... seriously why not just make it official?

i will literally "flip" if i hear him mention playing on tour next year... he's quietly suggested aiming for the Aus open next year, but if his only plans are to play on the seniors tour for the rest of 2010 i'd say he's got zero chance of making it happen.

we shouldn't even been discussing this... because the thought of Mark playing on tour is now beyond ludicrous, but Mark keeps mentioning it in interviews...which is getting really annoying!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #38
country flag Daniel.

I'm still holding onto hope that Mark will play a few challengers at least.

Otherwise come out with the official retirement statement and let us all drop it for good.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #39
country flag L James

L James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond reputeL James has a reputation beyond repute

Let's go easy on Mark. He probably needs to build more conditioning into his body and not rush back to the Tour so quickly. He mentions repeatedly through the above articles that playing on Seniors Tour is about building strength back into his body. The Tour is very tough on the body and winning 3 matches at Seniors Level does not necessarily mean he's reading to get back into it. Hopefully we can see him in some challengers in the latter part of the year, perhaps leading into the Australian summer next year
L James is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #40
country flag flip_fan

Although he hasn't "officially" said it.. it's safe to say he has retired from the tour and is now active on the champions tours.

This week Mark is playing expo matches in mexico with agassi and courier. Next week he'll play in Arizona champions event with courier, chang, mcenroe and ferreira ect..

for quick updates on mark follow

http://twitter.com/flipfocus
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #41
country flag illepingis

illepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond reputeillepingis has a reputation beyond repute

He now says he is Focused on coming back for the grass season and to play wimbledon

Tomas and Jonas we miss you

Serve and volley

http://www.vamosrafa.se/
Tennis tipping

Ranking 221
Good results Singles : W Sao Paulo Ch 2011 SF Vancouver Ch 2009
Doubles: Qf Vancouver 2009
illepingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #42
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the poo has requested a wildcard for Indian Wells..

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #43
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Apparently the poo has requested a wildcard for Indian Wells..

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
country flag tennis2018

tennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond repute

I met Mark @ Delray Beach last month & IMHO there is no danger of him making an ATP comeback sadly...he is however doing very well on the champions tour as mentioned & his hair is still unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2540.JPG (173.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2543.JPG (135.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2545.JPG (146.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2547.JPG (192.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2548.JPG (134.5 KB, 4 views)
tennis2018 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote