Originally Posted by scoobs
You're not here to discuss anything, you're here to call out the person who bad repped you, and usually give them a childish nickname, question their sexual prowess and quite possibly their parentage. You're just having fights and flamewars and that's still against forum rules.
Perhaps we just need to take away the ability of everyone to issue badreps if they cause this much trouble.
(1) Discriminatory remarks of any sort will not be tolerated. This includes, racist, homophobic, sexist, and any other degrading remarks about an individual or a group of individuals.
(2) Do not wish for players or fellow posters to be injured or dead.
(3) Do not utter threats against members or staff
(4) You may only use one (1) account. If you're having any issues with your account or need help changing your password, email etc., please contact the staff member. If you want to change your username, please have a look at this thread. Regular users can request one name change for free. Premium members may change their username once every month and can put their request here.
(5) Ideas and opinions may be challenged, but personal attacks are not allowed. If you have an issue with another member, try to resolve it privately via PM. If you cannot resolve the issue via p.m., contact a staff members for help.
(6) Do not harass members. Attempts to provoke or intimidate other posters will not be tolerated.
(7) Do not disclose private information about members without their consent (e.g. pictures, details about personal life, etc.).
(8) Do not post messages on behalf of banned members. Doing so will result in a ban for the poster who is conveying the message, and an increase in the ban length for the poster who is sending the message
(9) Refrain from using inappropriate/vulgar language in posts and threads. Also, what is appropriate in Non-Tennis, for example, might not be appropriate in GM or a player forum. Likewise, where certain language and discussions are fine in a thread clearly labeled that way, it may not be appropriate in a more general chat or tennis-related thread. Since this is an all-ages forum, we'd like to help people avoid the more offensive topics/posts if they so choose.
(10) Do not go into a player's forum to bash that player or troll the forum. Player subforums provide a place where fans can discuss events related to a player without hostility from other individuals.
(11) Do not bash staff members. While it is o.k. to criticize moderating decisions, if it is done in a rude and/or disruptive manner or involves personal attacks on moderators, it will NOT be tolerated.
(12) Spamming advertisements is not allowed whether by posts, starting threads or via PM. If you have a website you wish to divulge, put the link of it on your signature in a reasonable size. Spam also includes a) Product or service offerings from a business or organization, b) Products or services using pyramid scheme.
(13) Pornography, censored photos, or highly disturbing or graphic images, or links to sites containing such images are not allowed anywhere in the forums.
(14) Member signatures shall be in an appropriotate manner, both in content and in size. No excessively obscene or rude language/content is allowed, nor may you use it to harm or insult fellow members or to spread messages which are generally forbidden. If necessary, we reserve the righ to delete or edit members' signatures at any time.
(15) Avoid starting threads with a subject that has been discussed before. Use the 'search' function to find out if threads with the given subject have been started before, then use the old thread to discuss the topic.
(16) Start threads in the appropriate forums. If a thread is started in a forum where it doesn't belong, the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum or deleted.
(17) Please give warnings in your titles if needed for those who may not want to read the information in your thread (e.g. spoilers).
So far as I can tell, Rules 1, 5, and 6 are the only rules that are worth explicit consideration in relation to the "chatting" that goes on in this thread.
Assuming that oranges's original post in response to Sir Winston Cabbagehill's badrep was not in direct violation of any of these rules, I see no just and fair reason for its deletion. It is senseless to arbitrarily declare, "This thread should be a mere list and should contain no discussion of any kind." I do not see within the list of rules anything that would support such a decree. I think that scarecrows brilliantly demonstrated the wrongheadedness of this decree with his simple and obvious rejoining request:
Originally Posted by scarecrows
can we start another thread in which we can post the badreps AND discuss about them so the purpose of THIS thread remains immaculate?
If the concern is that the discussion in this thread would tend towards the violation of Rules 5 and 6, fair enough; however, a quick and cursory survey of most of the current GM threads would be sufficient to demonstrate how loosely
the moderators tend to interpret "personal attacks" and "harrassment."
For example, JM is frequently trolling into threads in which Nole_Fan posts, belittling her, and slinging gratuitous insults at her and Djokovic in an obvious attempt to provoke and irritate her. Whether or not the mods find this justified because they are annoyed by the Nole-spam (looking at AJ in particular) is irrelevant; it still seems to violate Rules 5 and 6 without any consequences.
It seems that the "personal attacks" and "harrassment" must be pretty severe
before they stir the mods into action. If this is the case, then this thread should be allowed to proceed in the manner in which it has heretofore proceeded, requiring moderator intervention only when these rules are violated with the requisite "severity."
: I would be highly surprised if oranges's deleted post was in greater violation of Rules 5 and/or 6 than is JolanGago's use of "Scrott" in violation of Rule 1.
I don't find it particularly offensive, mind; the point is merely one of consistency.