In The Spotlight: buddyholly - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #106
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In The Spotlight: buddyholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
And although I love the game of football...
what style of football do you like? you mentioned holland, is the total football kind of thing during the 70s the way football should be played? do you like the tactical approach of italy etc. better?
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #107
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

okay, we've had our share of heated discussions about the israeli-palestinian conflict so now it's time for a more friendly exchange for a change...

1- have you ever thought about going back to live in northern ireland?

2- is your direct family more favourable to keep Ulster british, seek its independence or to annex it to the republic?

3- do you personally hope that one day the whole of Ulster will be part of the republic? why?

4- best place in the world to find good beer at reasonable prices?

5- did you ever feel discriminated for your (lack of) religion or your backgrounds in NI?

6- what's your ethinicity?

7- what's your opinion on the orangemen in NI?

8- with which country in the world do you identify more right now?

9- best place in the island of ireland?

10- best country in the UK?

cheers
Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #108
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
okay, we've had our share of heated discussions about the israeli-palestinian conflict so now it's time for a more friendly exchange for a change...

2- is your direct family more favourable to keep Ulster british, seek its independence or to annex it to the republic?

3- do you personally hope that one day the whole of Ulster will be part of the republic? why?

5- did you ever feel discriminated for your (lack of) religion or your backgrounds in NI?

cheers
1. No
2 Stay British
3 Hardly matters anymore, although the Republic seems more prone to wild economic swings.
4 I hate beer. Too proletarian.
5 No, but I left after university, was never in the workplace
6 Ethnicity? WASA, I suppose. White Anglo Saxon Atheist. My surname and place of birth suggests we could have been Hugenots that fled to Ireland to start the Irish linen industry.
7 Dinosaurs
8 Canada
9 West coast, Galway area.
10 No possible answer. It would have to be best country for each individual thing, like scenery, history, hospitality, etc
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #109
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

cheers
What prompted you to drag out this old thread? Were you doing a search for ''buddyholly + monkey"? Be honest, now.

1. No
2 Stay British
3 Hardly matters anymore, although the Republic seems more prone to wild economic swings.
4 I hate beer. Too proletarian. Not bad for making fish batter, though.
5 No, but I left after university, was never in the workplace
6 Ethnicity? WASA, I suppose. White Anglo Saxon Atheist. My surname and place of birth suggests we could have been Hugenots that fled to Ireland to start the Irish linen industry.
7 Dinosaurs
8 Canada
9 West coast, Galway area.
10 No possible answer. It would have to be best country for each individual thing, like scenery, history, hospitality, etc

Last edited by buddyholly : 03-03-2011 at 11:59 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #110
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

interesting.

thanks

i've always been fascinated with ireland. great people and great country. i do think ulster should be part of the republic and that the british plantation was just about one of the worst thing the brits did to ireland but better not to engage in that discussion here...

Last edited by abraxas21 : 03-04-2011 at 12:27 AM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #111
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
i do think ulster should be part of the republic and that the british plantation was just about one of the worst thing the brits did to ireland but better not to engage in that discussion here...
I remember way back at the very beginning of the ''troubles'' my friends in the Irish Republic saying that they wouldn't want Northern Ireland in the Republic anyway, they have problems enough. That was probably a more sensible view than anything the IRA had in mind.
But I wouldn't engage in any more discussion anyway - like all the Irish, I am sick and tired of it.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #112
country flag abraxas21

yeah, i know... people are tired and that's understandable.

i know canada is your home now but do you prefer to say you're irish or british? i ask because at least here you've constantly referred to yourself as irish.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #113
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

1. Which currently active tennis players, if any, do you enjoy watching and/or rooting for?

2. Are there any players that you particularly dislike? If so, whom?

3. I have always found it strange (in a refreshing way) that a Canadian citizen is quicker to defend the United States on certain issues than many of the Americans in these forums, especially because a great deal of the Canadians that I have heard from seem none-too-fond of the US. Why are you different?

4. Prefer cats or dogs? (or neither, but that would put you at risk of seeming heartless)

5. Do you like any English or Irish poets?

6. Do you watch the WTA at all?

(probably more to come later)
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #114
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
1. Which currently active tennis players, if any, do you enjoy watching and/or rooting for?

2. Are there any players that you particularly dislike? If so, whom?

3. I have always found it strange (in a refreshing way) that a Canadian citizen is quicker to defend the United States on certain issues than many of the Americans in these forums, especially because a great deal of the Canadians that I have heard from seem none-too-fond of the US. Why are you different?

4. Prefer cats or dogs? (or neither, but that would put you at risk of seeming heartless)

5. Do you like any English or Irish poets?

6. Do you watch the WTA at all?

(probably more to come later)
1. Raonic, obviously. Ferrer. O. Rochus. Nadal. Wish Santoro was still active.

2. Djokovic. Like a Rubber Ball, bouncy, bouncy............... He's not the only player with a heart, but he doesn't know it.
Federer is such a glamour diva, thinks his proper environment is with royalty. When he blogged once from Tokyo, it was pathetic.

3. All my associations with Americans have been positive. I wouldn't have much to post if I only defended Canada here, we are never accused of anything. Maybe by not being Canada-born I have not been infected by the Canadian inferiority complex everybody talks about.

4. I like fun dogs like Border Collies and hate useless dogs like Dachshunds. But my admiration is for cats - their independence, aloofness and general don't-give-a-s*^t attitude to humans - as long as they do their jobs and keep the food coming.

5. I have no feelings for poetry at all.

6. I spent a lot of time watching Evert, Navratilova and other players from that era. Today I avoid it.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #115
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

i know canada is your home now but do you prefer to say you're irish or british? i ask because at least here you've constantly referred to yourself as irish.
Well, if we are talking about something related to Ireland, I am Irish-born. I fall between two stools - I was born on the island of Ireland but under British jurisdiction.

But now I am a citizen of Canada and Canada is not just my home, it is my country.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #116
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

how come you don't get a pension?
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #117
country flag abraxas21

pensions are too proletariat
Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #118
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
how come you don't get a pension?
I was not interested in a ''career'' with a big company.

I mainly worked for a number of mining 'juniors'' - small companies that don't pay pensions, but can make you rich from share options if you beat the odds and find something. Unfortunately I made my discovery in Cuba, where only the Castro's are allowed to get rich. My discovery is still in the ground. That pleases Castro more than having a small area of Cuba being economically self-sufficient. I suppose gold in Cuban soil is much the same thing to them as gold in a Swiss bank. They can take it out when they need it.

And after I got Canadian citizenship I worked abroad and do not qualify for a Canadian government pension.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #119
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think of the song Buddy Holly by Weezer?
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #120
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
What do you think of the song Buddy Holly by Weezer?
I don't have the ''face palm'' smilie or I would use it here.

If you watch the youtube video that shows the written lyrics you see that the words are really, really bad. However, a simple catchy tune and really bad lyrics can lead to a success of sorts. Bad lyrics that have to be squeezed into the tune stick in peoples' minds.
So if you listen to last year's video sensation ''Friday, Friday'' you will see that these two songs are very similar. They sound like nursery rhymes put to music. So bad they are almost good.