The Australian Open - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #46
country flag snoop

snoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond reputesnoop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Australian Open

argh Kiwi
snoop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #47
country flag kfh_9118

kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute

Just came back from Kiwi's match, and I can't believe it lasted for over 3.5 hours. I have been in AO since 9am until 10.30pm and got home at 11.30pm. This is the longest ever I spent my time in the AO. If it's not for Kiwi's match, I would have gone home by around 7pm. And unfortunately, after all that long, Kiwi lost his match

I will post a bit match report set by set
kfh_9118 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #48
country flag kfh_9118

kfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond reputekfh_9118 has a reputation beyond repute

Set 1:
This should be Kiwi's set to take. Rochus didn't do anything special to take this set. It's Kiwi who lost the set, he did lots of unforced errors, lost concentration after leading 5-2, and in the end he just gave up. I would say Kiwi didn't fight enough to win this first set (like he did against Henman in US Open). If he had taken this set, Kiwi would most probably win this match in straight set He shouldn't let Rochus get back to his game, considering Rochus is a fighter.

Set 2:
Early second set, Kiwi still hadn't settled in the game, he struggled to hold his serve, and almost broken several times. The match itself was much closer than what's shown in the scoreline. A crucial break in the sixth game (I think) seemed to boost Kiwi's confidence and he did play a bit better in the end of second set.

Set 3:
Kiwi continued his momentum from the end of second set and win this set quite comfortably. Nothing much I can comment on this set since I went out for dinner.

Set 4:
Pretty similar scenario as in set 2, except this time the momentum was with Rochus. Kiefer lost serve and never broke back. Again, I am disappointed with Kiwi's fighting spirit today. He should at least hold his serve in the last game of 4th set and let Rochus served for the set. This way, at least Kiwi will serve first in the final set.

Set 5:
Probably this is the best set overall in the match. After fourth set, Kiwi asked for trainer to threat his feet, but I guess it's just for pre-caution. His movement seemed to be alright in the entire set. Both players held serve until 2-2, and Kiwi had a chance to break in the fifth game, but couldn't convert it. Rochus then break and hold to lead 5-2. In the eight game, Kiwi saved 2 match points (thanks to several lucky net ball for Kiwi) and he finally held. In the final game, Kiwi played great points to lead 40-0. At this stage I thought he would break and still in the match. Unfortunately, Kiwi played poorly for the next 3 points (some unreturnable serves and unforced errors ), and he then still got one more chance and couldn't take it. In the end, Rochus won and Kiefer looked really upset.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #49
country flag kfh_9118

Here are some other interesting things that I think you might be interested to know:

* This match is really heart-breaking. It's kind of combination of Kiwi's lost to Johansson in Wimbledon and to Henman in US Open. Kiwi should have be able to won in straight set, instead he lost (Johansson's case) . From around middle set 4, Kiwi argued a lot about the line call, get into arguments with the linesman & umpire, and Kiwi was actually wrong on all of them. The calls were correct and Kiwi was hoping and imagining they'll go in his favour. I saw a bit of similarity of Kiwi in his US Open match against Henman. IMO, he should be able to control his emotion a bit better and not letting it affecting his game. I am sure he'll become a better player should he's calmer.

* Like I said before, Kiwi was the one to be blamed for his lost today. He made it happen. As you can see from the statistic, he shot lots of winners, but also lots of UEs (almost twice as many as Rochus'). Rochus was very quick on court and very consistent (few UEs). The longer the points, it's usually won by Rochus. I guess Kiwi realised that and wanted to make it shorter, hence came to the net a lot (serve volleying). Unfortunately he wasn't that good with volleys today and Rochus made lots of unreturnable passing shots as well as lobs. Also, Kiefer's serves really let him down today, esp. the first serve. He did serve lots of aces, but low % of first serve and the placements were not that good. I actually found that Kiefer's game was pretty different with the one that I know from the past. I like him because he played smart, good placement, huge serve and won lots of points from the baseline. However, I didn't see it today, maybe he tried to mix it with serve-volleying (I just feel that he is not natural with this type of game, still needs to do lots of homework if he wants to succeed).

* Kiwi's attitude and gestures on court was unbelievable today. In fact, I found him to be quite rude, especially to the ball kids. He was not hesitate to yell at the ball girls if they were late to respond to his request (such as towel, the same ball), the way he thrown the balls to the ball kids wasn't nice and profesional at all, in fact he did hit one ball girl, and not even apologizing to her. Lucky, he didn't get warning from the umpire. There was one guy sitting next to me, and at first he supported Kiefer, but after seeing Kiwi's attitude, he finally supported Rochus and really happy every time Kiefer did errors. If I wasn't his fan for many years, I would have done the same. I really wish that Kiwi will change the way he behave on court, especially to the ball kids. He needs to respect them more! Rochus on the other hand, really has a good attitude, he even smiled at his supporters during the match and helped the ball kids transferring across the balls to the other side of the court. Today, Kiwi's was in a bad mood and temper, I hardly seen him happy today.

* I tried to give the messages from "Dear Kiwi" thread to him after the match, but he ignored and walked pass me. Obviously, he is really disappointed with the lost, and I couldn't blame him for that. I don't know if I would ever have a chance to give him the thing. I won't go to AO until next Sunday (since I only took 2 days break from my work). If he is still survive in double, then I might have a chance, otherwise sorry to all of you for not being able to hand it in to Kiefer. Too bad he lost today, otherwise everything will be perfect

Better luck next time Kiwi

Last edited by kfh_9118 : 01-17-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #50
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

My heart is broken...
Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #51
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any word of Kiwi doing doubles?

Last edited by mary b : 01-17-2005 at 03:28 PM.
knight_ley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #52
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the very detailed reports, Henry!

And I agree with you. For some matches, he really has to change his behaviour on court, sometimes it's just not good for himself and for his reputation if he is so pissed off and if he transforms his bad mood even on ball kids who all try to do the best possible job. I wouldn't say that's the case in every match, but I know that in some matches it definitely is and that shouldn't be and according to your reports today was again such a match. not good!!!

Yeah, sure... I also can't blame him for ignoring the "Dear Kiwi" notes we have written to him. We fans certainly also think that this loss sucks, but most of all it's Kiwi who is upset about himself as he also had enough chances to win this match. Doesn't surprise me that he didn't pay attention to fans right after the match.

Under the bottom line these Australian Open were disappointing, but I think he may be able to play better soon. I don't think this loss gets him too much off the good track that he was in summer last year.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #53
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

The teletext says he will go home.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #54
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG
The teletext says he will go home.
can only become better for him!
Well, there is quite a big break now. The next tournament is Marseille, beginning on February 7th.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #55
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen any point from that match and I won't do it. His game looks always so bad if he loses. And all the break points in the final set ...I remembered the Spadea match from last year when I saw that.
In Adelaide, he also shouted at the linesmen and wanted to change them as I understood. But okay, he has never been very shy in these things. I mean, the ball kids won't get damaged because of that.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote