Expenses and life on tour (Amir Weintraub's blog, Tursunov's interview June 2013) - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #76
country flag ariel2

ariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (24/1/11) - "Crash" - by Amir Weintraub

Another great installment. I can really feel for him when he asks how he's supposed to gain any ground if he's playing tournaments where he's only gaining one ranking point for winning a match. It just seems like one big rut they're in and as frustrating as it is, they can't/won't walk away. Got to admire their drive and resilience.
ariel2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #77
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (24/1/11) - "Crash" - by Amir Weintraub

"I kbow you from somewhere" - 31/1/2011

This week I will take a pass on describing my performance in the Eilat Future. For two reasons: A) Nothing interesting happened here that didn't happen when I was here last week. B) It's beginning to be a little unpleasant. I got thumped in the semis again, this time by a Serbian opponent ranked 658 in the world. Bummer.

But something did grab me this week. Something that can give a little example as to the mental issues tennis players go through during their careers. In short, the story is like this: While I'm hanging in Eilat I see a familiar guy, this mountain I ran into a few years ago.
After straining my memory for a while it comes back to me – I played against him 4 years ago in a challenger in Uzbekistan. He was a 1.90 meters tall giant. A Russian guy by the name of Pavel Chekhov. He didn't have ranking points yet, I was around 500 in the world.
I remembered how the 18 years old kid beat me during the last round of qualification, then he made the finals and started an incredible run of wins. Within a few weeks he made it to the top ranking of 291 in the world. Everyone who saw him knew he's on the sure way to become a top 20 player. He had a serve, a huge forehand. Everything you need.

When I met him in Eilat, the giant remained a giant, but there was nothing left of that player.

He fell out of the top ranking. He had this rare and bizarre phenomena which had wrecked promising careers for several players – he forgot how to hit a forehand. Literally. Forgot. No other reasonable explanation for this. He just can't put the forehand into the court, no matter what he tried to do. Today he has no ranking points, after losing them all. In the last 23 tournaments before Eilat, he lost 21 times in the first round. Even in Eilat, which is the smallest tournament there is, he couldn't get past qualifications.

Another player this happened to, only with the serve. Is Argentinian Coria, who was 3 in the world, and one day discovered he can't make his serve go over the net. Coria would finish matches with 17, 20 or 23 double faults. After all the troubles with drugs, injuries – he ended up unable to put a serve in the court and had to retire from tennis.

Other Phenomena you can find even in the smaller tournaments, are players which are ranked very low, but still keep a prestigious team around them. Part of this is due to the player feeling that the breakthrough is gonna come any minute now (which of course, does not happen), and they allow themselves to hire some hot-shot ex tennis players as coaches.
Some of them are guys who were already in the highest levels, got injured, and to get back to the top they decide to continue and act just like they did when they were at the top of the game, so you see them being dragged to obscure tournaments with teams like it was grand slam.

Famous coaches have a psychological impact on the rivals. In Eilat I ran into a Spanish Player and a Belgian player, each with his own personal coach. Both coaches were ex players who retired last year from tennis – Olivier Rochus from Belgium who was 24 in the world, and the other was Fernando Vicente who was 29 in the world and beat players like Agassi, Henman, Philippoussis and Tommy Haas.

Inexperienced players and those who get stressed out a little more than the rest see the other player with that coach and start shivering without even knowing if the other player is any good. Just knowing that "That" guy is over there, has an impact.

A little embarrassing, but I have to confess I also fell into this trap of fearing the rival's coach. I played a challenger in the US and the draw paired me up with Alex Bogdanovic from England. Top 150 player at the time. When I stepped up the court, I see his coach is none other than legendary Brad Gilbert. I froze. I lost 6-1, 6-2.
I remember that most of the match I was preoccupied with Brad Gilbert and not the match. I looked for him in the audience; once in a while I glanced at his direction. After the match I was honest enough to admit to myself that I lost that match to Gilbert, who was sitting in the stands.

In exactly one month and a half we're playing against Poland in DC. I already got the news that I was the number 2 racquet. I just now begin to understand the guys, Dudi, Harel, Noam, Andy and Yoni, who had to manage two careers for years. The personal one and the DC career. To the pressure of getting the ranking points and grasping your career by the teeth, there is an added pressure of bigger exposure and not-so-amazing results like the results I had just now in Eilat, which are now not only a personal matter, but also embarrassing to me as a member of the DC team.

I feel that pressure growing and growing. The pressure to get ranking points. The pressure not mess up in small tournaments, the pressure not to mess up in Davis Cup. The pressure to start and make some money. Pressure.
Next week I'll be far away from Eilat. A challenger in Russia. Away from everything I hope to get things back on track. Point by point, game by game.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #78
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (77#) (31/1/11) - "I know you from somewhere" - by Amir Weintrau

if a famous coach is enough to get a journeyman nervous, i wonder what would a journeyman feel if he'd get to see federer or nadal accross the net.

very interesting story about the russian too. keep them coming
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #79
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog post (77#) (31/1/11) - "I know you from somewhere" - by Amir Weintrau

Isn't Chekhov the guy that Genci played against in the Universiade?
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #80
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

I love following this blog. But it gives you the harsh reality which makes me appreciate even more the top players for being able to go through that and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course if you're gifted like Federer, Nadal, Djoko, Murray, etc i think your journey is way faster.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #81
country flag zoparrat

zoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond reputezoparrat has a reputation beyond repute

I love these posts.

The Russian guy's forehand and Coria's serve going AWOL out of nowhere is scary to read, especially for a pro that makes a living out of this. Muscle memory is a funny thing; from personal experience as a former club level player when I broke my humerus bone and was out of action for 6 months, I couldn't rediscover my backhand even to this day, 8 years later. Tried everything like watching a ton of Nalbandian and Safin videos nothing worked. Still can't hit a damn backhand to save my life.

But if you can lose a shot without even giving a break, that's scary as hell.
zoparrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #82
country flag Nole fan

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoparrat View Post
I love these posts.

The Russian guy's forehand and Coria's serve going AWOL out of nowhere is scary to read, especially for a pro that makes a living out of this. Muscle memory is a funny thing; from personal experience as a former club level player when I broke my humerus bone and was out of action for 6 months, I couldn't rediscover my backhand even to this day, 8 years later. Tried everything like watching a ton of Nalbandian and Safin videos nothing worked. Still can't hit a damn backhand to save my life.

But if you can lose a shot without even giving a break, that's scary as hell.
I'm sorry.

Actually it happens to the very Tops. Nole lost his serve for a whole 10 months this last year and he has said many times that he didn't intend to change anything, but the change just crept into his game. Basically he spent 10 months trying to get it back and it was all a mental thing. Scary.

The lesson is that you can overcome it. Look at him now.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #83
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what great reads these blog posts are. So real.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #84
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloKid View Post
Isn't Chekhov the guy that Genci played against in the Universiade?
guilty

my killer slice ruined his forehand forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #85
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoparrat View Post
Damn, sorry man. Really this is a reminder, all of these stories, of how you need to take advantage of every day and make the most of yourself.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #86
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

This really puts the "pressure" some of the top players claim to have into perspective. They have the pressure of doing well for their fans/media and getting big wins, while people in Amir's position have the pressure of far more important things such as making ends meet and not completely losing their way in the sport.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #87
country flag Nole fan

Wouldn't you wish he made it?
I'm a fan of a guy I don't even know. I hope he does well.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #88
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we have DC vs. Poland coming up, hopefully he'll win a match. This should give him a boost, hopefully. Dudi is a good DC player, I hope, for his sake, Amir is cut of the same mold.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #89
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The man keeps delivering. I am at a challenger at the moment, you can see how this world is so different especially at the lower ones.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #90
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca74 View Post
Thanks a lot for the translation... Amir "everyday life" is really interesting.

At least Amir has gained +11 ranks in the ATP rankings, he is now #270 !

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...raub.aspx?t=rh

I think it explains why a lot of players tend to play Futures & Challengers
in their local area. Last year I was wondering why so few US players were playing
challengers outside the US. Even if it is natural that all the player like to play
on home soil, the money saved in travelling is an important factor also...
It's plenty expensive to travel around the U.S.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote