Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

Djokovic before Martin was a dangerous player who was up and coming, destined to win many slams. Obviously Martin was not the only factor in Djokovic's demise but under Martin Djokovic became a solid player. Nothing more. He was consistently losing in grand slam round of 16's and Quarters. He was zero threat to Federer and Nadal. His serve became a massive liability rather than the strength it once was. Martin was not with Djokovic very long but impacted his game for the worse.

No we see Djokovic back to his 2008 form without Martin.

Did Martin do just a terrible job? Or was it other factors and Martin just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Djokovic before Martin was a dangerous player who was up and coming, destined to win many slams. Obviously Martin was not the only factor in Djokovic's demise but under Martin Djokovic became a solid player. Nothing more. He was consistently losing in grand slam round of 16's and Quarters. He was zero threat to Federer and Nadal. His serve became a massive liability rather than the strength it once was. Martin was not with Djokovic very long but impacted his game for the worse.
This. Martin was not the cause of his collapse, but he also didn't help Djokovic get out of it.

I think one of the errors in that coaching relationship is that Martin perhaps pressed Novak *too much* regarding coming to net. Djokovic will always be best from the baseline, with just the occasional foray to close at net when he is well set up for it. Martin wanted to see too much net play out of a guy who just isn't very naturally gifted from that part of the court.

Also I'm pretty sure Djokovic hasn't lost in a GS R16 in many many years... AO '07 maybe?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
country flag Branimir

Branimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond reputeBranimir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin with Djokovic: The worst coaching stint in tennis history?

Against Marat in W2008 I think.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

todd martin is useless as a coach.

should have never been given a top coaching job.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

New generation players like Djokovic etc. don't need these old fellas, they need professionals that are serve experts in the 90ies or 2000's where rackets are MUCH different than the past. They need someone to relate to. That's why I thought it was ridiculous when Roddick hired Connors. What's the point?
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
country flag ballbasher101

ballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond reputeballbasher101 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from wanting Djokovic to come to the net more I don't think Todd Martin was very influential in the Djoker's demise. It was Djokovic's mental state of mind that was the problem. He seemed to lose confidence and belief. The burden of him being the only challenger to Nadal and Federer seemed to get to him. At the moment Nadal and Federer can lose in a major if they don't play their best.
ballbasher101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic's problems were caused by the changed service action which Todd Martin wanted him to use. It caused more double faults and a loss of confidence in his game.

Djokovic started playing better once he got the service motion back to normal.

I still maintain that Nole should sue Todd Martin for negligence and loss of earnings over that period.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Faker is too limited to absorb such a huge change of technique.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimentee View Post
Djokovic's problems were caused by the changed service action which Todd Martin wanted him to use. It caused more double faults and a loss of confidence in his game.

Djokovic started playing better once he got the service motion back to normal.

I still maintain that Nole should sue Todd Martin for negligence and loss of earnings over that period.
The serving problem came before Martin. It came with the racquet change. He was using a heavier racquet to try to get more power and locking up his elbow in the service motion. They've recently changed the racquet for him and that's allowed him to go fix his serve. Though as others here have said, Martin didn't help things.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
country flag Jbeacinu

Jbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond reputeJbeacinu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post

No we see Djokovic back to his 2008 form without Martin.

Did Martin do just a terrible job? Or was it other factors and Martin just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?
errr no. he lost in a 2nd round and a 3rd round since he won the AO 2008. and the 2nd rounder was before Martin.--this was against Safin at Wimbledon! . !horrible match. You are being way too harsh about Novak by the way. But yah, it was a struggle for him
Jbeacinu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
country flag Roddickominator

Roddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic's problem came when he changed his racket. His serve and groundstrokes became erratic, so he relied on his athleticism to make up for it. It just goes to show that racket technology can make a very significant difference in play.
Roddickominator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

You can't really say this, even before Todd came into the picture Djokovic was playing pretty shit for his own standards.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Also I'm pretty sure Djokovic hasn't lost in a GS R16 in many many years... AO '07 maybe?

RG09???
Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
country flag Everko

Everko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond reputeEverko has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want that man anywhere near my favorite players again

about the Federer Will Fall thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raferminator
Best damn thread I've ever read on MTF. You should be awarded for being a visionary. Some of us out here noticed it and appreciated it.
Federer will fall
Murray will never win a slam
Federer will never beat Nadal again in a slam
Golubev will rise
Go Ouahab
Everko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is Uncle Tony/Nadull. To concoct such a mug playing style worse than making a solid player into a clown for a months.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote