Expenses and life on tour (Amir Weintraub's blog, Tursunov's interview June 2013) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #31
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life as a tennis pro - Amir Weintraub

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because Amir took the time to write that. The reason why anyone goes for any player (other than those of their nationality or something like that) is usually down to sheer chance. Had some Fed fans started following tennis in 2008 instead of 2004, they might have been Nadal fans instead .
thats quite true.

amir sounds like a nice fella but then i remember that for every amir there are 100 more journeymen in similar circumstances. it's a tough sport... i'd dare say most sports are pretty tough in general for the ones who don't make "the cut", whatever that is in the area of interest.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #32
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca74 View Post
It seems that at least some Futures tournaments are held in Israel:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tourname...nger-Tour.aspx

But it is true that the life is even harder for Israelis...
compared to the euros and the yanks, most likely yes.

compared to the south americans, most likely not.

still, it depends on a wide range of circumstances. family income, opportunities for facilities/coaching, etc
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #33
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, how many futures/challengers do you have in south America combined?
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
country flag abraxas21

no idea but then again, south america is quite big.

for example, the distance from santiago to caracas is over 3000 miles. from santiago to sao paulo is over 1600 miles.

by contrast, the distance from tel aviv to, say, a big euro capital like berlin, is 1770 miles. you guys have the advantage of being closer to europe which has a lot more opportunities for tournaments. plus, israel is a rich nation with more economical opportunities and i'm sure a more wealthy tennis federation than what you might find in south america.

this all sounds like a pissing contest but it aint my intention at all. i'm just saying, the poorer you are and the farther from the first world you are, the lesser your chances are. by this token, theres a reason why africans don't do well at tennis.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
no idea but then again, south america is quite big.

for example, the distance from santiago to caracas is over 3000 miles. from santiago to sao paulo is over 1600 miles.

by contrast, the distance from tel aviv to, say, a big euro capital like berlin, is 1770 miles. you guys have the advantage of being closer to europe which has a lot more opportunities for tournaments. plus, israel is a rich nation with more economical opportunities and i'm sure a more wealthy tennis federation than what you might find in south america.
this all sounds like a pissing contest but it aint my intention at all. i'm just saying, the poorer you are and the farther from the first world you are, the lesser your chances are. by this token, theres a reason why africans don't do well at tennis.

Are you kidding me? Look how many tournaments Chile has alone, including ATP tournaments Israel doesn't have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ments_in_Chile

Israel's entire sport budget is 67 million shekels. (22 million dollars), I'm sure it's more than than that in at least SOME of the south American countries.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #36
country flag abraxas21

chile has 1 ATP, 3 Challengers and 6 futures. as for budget, i'd dare say 22 million dollars is more than what any south american country has destined for tennis. but i really dont get whats your point. that it is easier for the average south american to succeed in tennis than it is for the average israeli? if that's what you're saying then you're just wrong.

anyhow, this discussion has taken a misleading direction
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #37
country flag ariel2

ariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Or Levy. Amir writes with punch. Maybe he should consider that as a career option given what he's described in his "day in the life" article. Yes, it is nice that the guys on his level help each other out - that's a far cry from what goes on in the top 100. Sure, there are many journeymen in his predicament but now that I've read his take on it, I would gladly follow him. Will check for him at USO qualifying.
ariel2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #38
country flag v-money

v-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond reputev-money has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel2 View Post
Thanks Or Levy. Amir writes with punch. Maybe he should consider that as a career option given what he's described in his "day in the life" article. Yes, it is nice that the guys on his level help each other out - that's a far cry from what goes on in the top 100. Sure, there are many journeymen in his predicament but now that I've read his take on it, I would gladly follow him. Will check for him at USO qualifying.
He lost in the first round of qualifying to Ivan Sergeyev.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice you said USO qualifying. He lost his AO qualifying match.
v-money is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #39
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

If I was Amir, I'd do the Dustin Brown thing, get a big van, and travel all over Europe. Europe has SOOOOOOOO many tournaments every week and the distance is so small between countries it is easier to get around.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #40
country flag Or Levy

And live in the Van?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #41
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice read;thanks
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #42
country flag Helevorn

Helevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the post!!
Helevorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #43
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Amir's a good looking guy. Sort of an interesting mix of Nole, Bellucci and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Anyway, nice insight into the life of.. well lets face it, the majority of tennis players. Nice that he found the time to let us ordinary people know about the rigors of it all. Doesn't sound appealing, but hey tennis isn't just about immensely talented mega stars. It represents the strength and resolve within a person to strive upwards and never look back on and off the court, ploughing through one adversity after another.

These "journeymen" may not have god-given abilities or hordes of fans and admirers, but their determination to fight doggedly for success is far beyond what most people can even imagine.

*Raises fist* All power to these heroes.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #44
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambritfan View Post
Amir's a good looking guy. Sort of an interesting mix of Nole, Bellucci and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Anyway, nice insight into the life of.. well lets face it, the majority of tennis players. Nice that he found the time to let us ordinary people know about the rigors of it all. Doesn't sound appealing, but hey tennis isn't just about immensely talented mega stars. It represents the strength and resolve within a person to strive upwards and never look back on and off the court, ploughing through one adversity after another.

These "journeymen" may not have god-given abilities or hordes of fans and admirers, but their determination to fight doggedly for success is far beyond what most people can even imagine.

*Raises fist* All power to these heroes.
There would be no Grand Slams without the hundreds of journeymen that play in the early rounds and qualies. Same goes for most events. I wish there was somehow to improve revenue sharing for these guys. I mean, scrubs in American baseball and the NBA make millions of the dollars, and dont have to pay for their travel - and unlike tennis journeymen they rarely have to play. Oh well, life is unfair I guess...
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #45
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation...interesting read
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote