TT Code of Conduct - Approved - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you approve the Draft Code of Conduct?

Yes, I approve the Code and agree to abide by it 42 93.33%
No, I have issues with some or all of the provisions 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default TT Code of Conduct - Approved

TENNIS TIPPING

Draft Code of Conduct

1. General

1.1 TT is a game where the best standards of sportsmanship are expected.

1.2 The rules and regulations of MTF will be respected by participants at all times.

1.3 This code of conduct is intended to supplement the MTF rules, and raise awareness of acceptable behaviour.

1.4 A participant’s conduct in other parts of the forum may be taken into account by TT board and managers.

1.5 By entering into any tournament a player agrees to accept this code, whether or not he has actually read it.

1.6 The code will apply to all TT tournaments, including exhibitions and friendlies.

1.7 When ratified, this code will take effect when the first tournament thread of the 2011 season is opened, and will remain in effect until the end of the 2011 season. It will then be subject to renewed ratification.

1.8 Notwithstanding 1.7, any provision found during the season to be inappropriate or unworkable may, after proper discussion, be removed or amended by the TT Board.

1.9. The TT Board shall be responsible for interpretation of this code, and for taking any action necessary under it, and their decision shall be final.

1.10 Where required by the context “he” shall be read as “he/she” and “player” shall be read as “player or players”

2. The Manager

2.1 The manager will be aware of the Time Zone for his tournament, and its relationship to CET/CEST

2.2 The manager will attempt to volunteer for tournaments which best fit in with his personal commitments.

2.3 Except in an emergency a manager will not manage more than one tournament in any week.

2.4 With the exception of Grand Slams, Masters Series, Davis Cup and WTF (and any ATP 250/500 where there's only one tournament per week or one tournament of higher value than the others) a manager will not play in any event he manages. For the exceptions he will ensure that somebody is available to receive his/his opponent’s picks.

2.5 The manager will open the thread two weeks before the start of the scheduled qualifying rounds.

2.6 If opened in “skeleton” form the thread will be updated at least 2 days before the first deadline. In the meantime the manager will respond promptly to any queries by players/potential players.

2.7 The entry lists will be updated at least one day before the first deadline and at regular intervals thereafter.

2.8 If there are spaces in the main draw(s) the manager has sole discretion whether or not to extend the final deadline.

2.9 The manager will publish the OOPs as soon as possible, and will attempt to give a window of at least 12 hours for the players to send picks.

2.10 The manager may delegate responsibility for posting the OOP to another person in order to achieve the 12 hour window.

2.11 The manager will usually aim to post differences within 1 hour of start of play (always after the deadline).

2.12 The manager will post results (updates for a 2 day round) as soon as possible.

2.13 In case of unfinished matches the manager will give precise instructions regarding the sending of picks.

2.14 Where 2 rounds are played in one day, the manager will endeavour to post differences for the second round when the results of the first are known, but he is not obliged to do so. If differences are not posted he will respond to players’ reasonable requests for information.

2.15 The manager will be familiar with the TT rules, particularly those governing tie-breaks, and will ask for advice if in doubt.

2.16 The manager will keep the first page of the thread updated, especially the draws and the OOP

2.17 If using the -Evita- Spreadsheet the manager will be responsible for its correct operation, and will be prepared to double-check any result on request.

2.18.The manager will treat all players impartially, and will have no regard to personal friendships or animosities.

2.19 The manager will be courteous and considerate at all times, even when provoked.

2.20 The manager will be especially tolerant and helpful towards players new to Tennis Tipping.

2.21 Despite the shortage of managers, a manager who fails to adhere to the code may be warned and if necessary removed by the TT Board.

3. The Players

3.1 The players should remember the one tournament per week rule, and their commitment should be unambiguous, particularly in doubles.

3.2 Players are responsible for checking the entry lists and ensuring their name is included in the draw.

3.3 Players will remember that the manager has a private life, and be prepared to be flexible when necessary.

3.4 Players may request OOPs, differences or results before the deadlines mentioned in this code, but must do so politely.

3.5 Players are free to criticize the manager, but must be specific and not make generalizations.

3.6 Players must not accuse the manager of laziness, incompetence or bias without clear and precise evidence.

3.7 Players must not personally abuse the manager, their opponents or any fellow player.

3.8 Players will be aware that there are children in the TT ranks, and will refrain from foul language.

3.9 Players are free to abuse their chosen ATP picks, but are expected to do so in moderation.

3.10 If a player breaches the code, the manager may, at his sole discretion, give the player a chance to retract before taking any action.

3.11 For an infraction of the code the player will be reported to the TT board and suspended from the current tournament. Provided 3 board members approve, he will be expelled from the current tournament and his opponent given a walkover. The player may continue to send picks while his suspension is considered.

3.12 A separate thread in TT will be opened for disciplinary matters, in order to deal with these promptly.

3.13 For a second serious offence, the player will be banned for a period of four weeks from the end of the current tournament. A third offence will receive a ban of 13 weeks, and a fourth a lifetime ban. A lifetime ban would require the assent of 4 board members rather than 3. Punishments may be reduced at the Board's discretion if there are extenuating circumstances.

Last edited by Goldenoldie : 01-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Goldenoldie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT Code of Conduct - Please vote to approve

If approved the code of conduct will be enforced with effect from next Monday, 3rd January.

Comments are welcome, but please note that this is a package, and amendments to individual provisions are unlikely at this stage, as players have had several weeks to make their views known.

Any comments will of course be taken into account in any future discussions.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
country flag Goldenoldie

There are between 200 and 300 active TT players, and this thread has had over 100 hits but only 16 votes.

I know it's the holiday period, but I hope more will turn up soon.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Might be an idea to fire off some PMs to players and ask them to approve it, some may not be paying attention.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
country flag Goldenoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Might be an idea to fire off some PMs to players and ask them to approve it, some may not be paying attention.
Good idea, but I might try posting in all the tournament threads first.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to vote AGAINST it, it might be an idea to explain why?
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
country flag Hotzenplotz

Hotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond reputeHotzenplotz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm neither voting for nor against it. I appreciate the idea, the work put into it, and most of the content but believe there are two rules that are too strict on the managers and may cause a problem if there's no over-supply of managers.

2.4 may be a problem for
(i) people who are borderline MD/QD players and therefore may want to wait and see the MD cutoffs before deciding to commit to certain tournaments independent of whether they're the managers.
(ii) people who just badly want to play their home tournaments and who can't manage others because of time zone constraints.
(iii) challenger players who prefer to play the tournaments yielding the higher number of ranking points even if those are the only ones they can manage.

2.14 Expecting managers to respond to questions during the day doesn't seem reasonable as many managers won't be able to do so and, when choosing which tournaments to manage, the manager can't really predict that more than one round will be played on a day.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Great work overall, but due to the holiday period in addition with another MTF event I took part in I didn't really have time to update every single bullshit for two weeks for Doha, until today. This is very strict. What are the consequences if someone has time off? Ban from TT? Ban from managing? Who really decides and bases on what? Many things come unexpected. What is the foul language exactly? More/less strict than the general we use on MTF?

It's obvious everybody tries their best, I think we've done so even without any additional rules for a few years; it's all a matter of fair play and being helpful that every human should be.

Will the new players really check the threads? Will they check this conduct? Like we had the Romanian chap this week who subscribed everywhere, eventually didn't read any TT rules and I was explaining things to him step by step via PM. We'll always have ppl new to MTF and TT... it won't solve any problems.

Like Hotzenplotz, I don't vote for or against, it certainly took effort to be prepared and the idea itself counts...

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
country flag ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond reputeibreak4coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for the code because we need one. But I have some comments about this draft - namely, that there are more provisions in the code of conduct for managers than players.

As I remember it, this issue came up originally because of player behaviour, not manager behaviour. Yet in these rules, it does seem as if more of the original problem came from managers. There are 21 provisions managers must abide by, 13 for players.

And the overall provisions seem to make it pretty hard for any manager to comply with everything without giving up their own life. Code 3.3 under players even states - "Players will remember that the manager has a private life, and be prepared to be flexible when necessary" - but the above provisions related to managers are pretty strict and not always very flexible. The 12 hour window for example is great in theory, in practice impossible to enforce as some challengers dont give that much notice themselves to players. And I completely agree diffs should be posted within one hour. But its not always possible - I sometimes get stuck in unanticipated meetings at work and if those ever were to fall at a deadline I'd miss it, as I manage even students will have problems with that. And we're going to demand that from managers, then why dont we demand managers adhere to the start of official play as a deadline to send picks, and not hours earlier than the start of play as Jim you've been forced to do in the past because of personal commitments?

I also dont understand why a manager cant manage a challenger and enter it as they can in these rules for Grand Slams, Masters Series, and 500 tournaments. What's the rationale behind that? Sure there are other options at the challenger level, but I still think its unfair. Assistant managers can be found at the challenger level too.

Also this one - "2.18.The manager will treat all players impartially, and will have no regard to personal friendships or animosities". If its necessary even to write this, then the whole game of TT is in trouble.

Otherwise, thanks Jim for taking the time to draft this and for your efforts to put in place a code. We need it
ibreak4coffee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee View Post

Also this one - "2.18.The manager will treat all players impartially, and will have no regard to personal friendships or animosities". If its necessary even to write this, then the whole game of TT is in trouble.
I think this has been added after it was found out I reportedly run some mafia on MTF and manage TT events to make scarecrows or finishingmove win them.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
country flag Harry_Callahan

Harry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond reputeHarry_Callahan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a great job. I think it should be approved to start working with it. And leave an open option for suggestions/ammendments. Maybe during the season a change in any code's article could be made if xx players ask for it.

In my opinion, everything is ok, but maybe managers' rules sometimes look too strict.
"Más vale que no tengas que elegir entre el olvido y la memoria" (J.S.)
Harry_Callahan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenoldie View Post
3.8 Players will be aware that there are children in the TT ranks, and will refrain from foul language.
Define "foul language." Will I be at risk of being ejected from a tournament if I post "What the fuck is Blake doing?" What about "Why the hell did I pick Blake?" What about "Blake is playing like shit"? And what about non-English "foul language"? Is "cagon" foul language?

Or does "foul language" mean bad grammar, poor spelling, indifferent punctuation, etc.? In which case half the TT players on MTF will be eating a tt-ban by 2nd week of AO.

If we are trying to protect () children from exposure to "foul language" it should be prohibited everywhere on this site, because there are children all over MTF, not just playing TT.

Furthermore any kid who is sophisticated enough to play TT has surely seen and read all kinds of foulness all over the internets. If parents are concerned about their kids reading dirty words, they better get them the hell away from the computer, and if they don't want them hearing dirty words, they better not let them watch tennis, either.

Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't understand the foul language rule. It's not like there is no foul language around the rest of the site, so nothing that posters haven't seen before. I feel it's a bit hard to consider ejecting someone from a tournament for swearing
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #14
country flag GustavoM_Fan

GustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeGustavoM_Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas kastoria View Post
HELlas ole ole
thanks felip for your help.i m priciate u friend
GustavoM_Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
country flag Goldenoldie

The poll is now closed. Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to vote.

The outcome is overwhelmingly in favour of the Code, and although the turnout of around 15% is a little disappointing, it is no worse than some local council elections in the UK!

Your Board considers this result gives a sufficiently strong mandate, and the Code is therefore deemed to form part of the TT rules with immediate effect.

Special thanks to those who have given comments and constructive criticisms. These will be analysed over the next few days (or possibly weeks), and if any amendments are thought to be essential they will be made.

This thread can continue to be used for any further comments players may have as the season progresses.

Thanks again, and enjoy your season.