Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How will it look?

Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 103 39.31%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.54%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 19 7.25%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 20 7.63%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.63%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 18 6.87%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.91%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.38%
Equal 4 1.53%
Federer ahead 47 17.94%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #91
country flag heartbroken

heartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
Even were you to ask such a question in that manner to Borg, I'm still fairly certain he would rather win Wimbledon -- that was his dream coming up and the biggest tournament of the year for him. My point was, this fascination with winning on three surfaces is largely fan-driven, not player. Yes, once you're career is over it's nice to have a career slam and show that you have variety in your game -- however I don't know of any player that sets this as a goal, certainly not to do it within one year. Players want to be number 1, and win slams. Everything else is icing.
I will add one more thought after all, because I like what you said about players playing for titles and not surfaces.

BTW, I have no objection to continuing a friendly debate as long as a new point can be made. What I try to avoid is endless loops where two people are just repeating themselves constantly. FWIW, even if I don't completely agree on all your points, I fully understand your point of view. Even the points I might take issue with, I have no interest in changing your mind, so sometimes I just run out of things to say.

Back to my new comment...

I agree that players care about titles much more than surfaces. I think players want to be the FO champion, the Wimbledon champion, the AO champion, etc. Those events have traditions that matter to the players, although different players will certainly have their particular favorites.

However, you can't win Wimbledon without playing on grass. You can't win the French without playing on clay. You can't win the USO or AO without playing on hard court, at least not in quite a few years. The desire to hold those trophies is what makes the surface relevant, and it's the added difficulty of varying surfaces that makes some people take notice when a player can master them all. After all, not every great player was able to do that. We can make excuses all day long for why a certain player didn't, but I think it makes more sense to just celebrate those that did.

I asked myself to re-evaluate Nadal 2010 vs Fed 2006, and pretend all the surfaces were identical. I would still pick Nadal's year, but only because the AO probably has the least importance to me personally, of the 4 slams. If my least favorite was the FO, I would pick Fed's year instead. If I valued the YEC more than I do, I would pick Fed's year. If I valued win pct more than I do, I would pick Fed's year. There is simply no right or wrong answer as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe I have the right to tell anyone what they should value. We're all free to make those choices for ourselves. I just try to explain how I arrived at my choice, for anyone that may be interested.
heartbroken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #92
country flag fsoica

fsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Federer end his career as Nadal's pigeon ?

I mean, the MTF meaning of pigeon...

Now Fed is 8-14...

Will he be able to depigeonize himself or the 2025 MTF history books will always have an asterisk on the bottom of the GOAT's history page? (smth. like: he used to be a pigeon of his main rival...)

I reckon that the final h2h will be smth like 18-10....

Pls. vote and discuss.

ROGER FEDERER: No, Roger Federer doesn't pull out. Otherwise he doesn't walk on court (smiling).

After losing to Nalbandian in 2005 TMC final...
fsoica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #93
country flag RoddickFan.

RoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer end his career as Nadal's pigeon ?

that will depend on how many more HC meetings they have.
if Nadal keeps losing to mugs on HC while Fed gets in2 latter stages of clay events then yes, Fed will be Rafa's pigeon.
if they meet more often on HC, we all know who will win and Fed depigeonizes himself.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #94
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, but that is irrelevant.

Unless you can argue why losses to a top 2 player are more damaging to a player's legacy than losses to lower ranked players.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #95
country flag RoddickFan.

RoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickFan. has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i always wonder why people dont talk abt Fed's 2 losses to Gilles Simug
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #96
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute
Question Implications of Federer vs Rafa 2011 AO, what does it mean for the winner?

If Federer meets Rafa at the 2011 AO Final, what would it mean for the winner?

I guess if Federer beats Rafa it confirms he's better on hardcourt in the head2head as it ties the hardcourt slam head2head at 1-1 and leaves it to the non-slam results to decide, and those results favor Federer. It would also make Rafa's 2009 AO win look like an aberration blamed on a temporary slump by Federer.

If Rafa beats Federer then it gives Rafa a 2-0 lead in the hardcourt slam head2head, and while some may say Federer is past his prime it won't look that way in history because Federer won 2 slams in 2009 and a slam in 2010 and the WTF which doesn't make him look like a 'has been', especially when Federer continues to beat Murray and Djokovic more times than he loses.

So if they meet in the 2011 AO there is one scenario which is very simple and consistent which is Federer winning, and the other result would be very confusing for anyone looking at their head2head. That confusing scenario would either suggest that Rafa is beginning to raise his hardcourt game and be on the cusp of hardcourt domination (having won 2 consecutive hardcourt slams, and going deeper into the WTF than ever) or it could be accounted for by simply saying that Federer is a mental midget vs Rafa in slam Finals (as he wouldn't have beaten Rafa since 2007 Wimbledon).
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #97
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of Federer vs Rafa 2011 AO, what does it mean for the winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadal_slam_king View Post
If Federer meets Rafa at the 2011 AO Final, what would it mean for the winner?

I guess if Federer beats Rafa it confirms he's better on hardcourt in the head2head as it ties the hardcourt slam head2head at 1-1 and leaves it to the non-slam results to decide, and those results favor Federer. It would also make Rafa's 2009 AO win look like an aberration blamed on a temporary slump by Federer.

If Rafa beats Federer then it gives Rafa a 2-0 lead in the hardcourt slam head2head, and while some may say Federer is past his prime it won't look that way in history because Federer won 2 slams in 2009 and a slam in 2010 and the WTF which doesn't make him look like a 'has been', especially when Federer continues to beat Murray and Djokovic more times than he loses.

So if they meet in the 2011 AO there is one scenario which is very simple and consistent which is Federer winning, and the other result would be very confusing for anyone looking at their head2head. That confusing scenario would either suggest that Rafa is beginning to raise his hardcourt game and be on the cusp of hardcourt domination (having won 2 consecutive hardcourt slams, and going deeper into the WTF than ever) or it could be accounted for by simply saying that Federer is a mental midget vs Rafa in slam Finals (as he wouldn't have beaten Rafa since 2007 Wimbledon).
And what do you think it will say if Nadal fails to make it to the Finals and Federer does? No deep thoughts on that scenario?

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #98
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of Federer vs Rafa 2011 AO, what does it mean for the winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
And what do you think it will say if Nadal fails to make it to the Finals and Federer does? No deep thoughts on that scenario?
That would indicate that Rafa isn't beginning to dominate on hardcourts. It'd be very different to winning 2 hardcourt slams in a row.
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #99
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

In Rafa's case,it means a lot more then basic and endless battle against Federer and legacy their two created. Since Rod Laver no one ever hold all 4 Slams at the same time and with eventual title Rafa can still chase Borg's amazing run at Slams until the US Open at the age of 25 (they were born almost the same date)

But,if this two are goin' to meat in that final,Rafa will left all this behind and just try to do his best.. we all know how it looks in the end at Slams finals since that bloody Wimbledon 2007.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #100
country flag Pirao666

Pirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond reputePirao666 has a reputation beyond repute

Without any doubt.
Pirao666 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #101
country flag Nadull_tard

Nadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure Federer breaks the 10 wins barrier over Nadal in upcoming season. But yes, this rivalry will probably end something like 16-11, 17-10 for Nadull.

Career HIGHLIGHTS

2007|David Nalbandian strikes lucky to win against Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-0
2008|Mikhail Youzhny escapes Rafael Nadal 6-1 6-0
2008|Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was pushed to the edge by Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2
2009|Juan Martin Del Potro survives Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-2 6-2

BEST RESULTS ARE YET TO COME....
Nadull_tard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #102
country flag dodo

dodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond reputedodo has a reputation beyond repute

Only chance of avoiding that is if Fed starts shamelessly tanking clay events and prays for 10+ more HC meetings. Neither is particularly likely.
dodo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #103
country flag Nadull_tard

Nadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond reputeNadull_tard has a reputation beyond repute

If neither of them reach the final, they are both clowns and should retire.

Career HIGHLIGHTS

2007|David Nalbandian strikes lucky to win against Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-0
2008|Mikhail Youzhny escapes Rafael Nadal 6-1 6-0
2008|Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was pushed to the edge by Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2
2009|Juan Martin Del Potro survives Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-2 6-2

BEST RESULTS ARE YET TO COME....
Nadull_tard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #104
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute

It means the end of MTF.

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #105
country flag bhathiya9999

bhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond reputebhathiya9999 has a reputation beyond repute

Ya may be
bhathiya9999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote