News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti - Page 271 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #4051
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

Short article from the IPP Open website. Can anyone unmangle the translation?

Quote:

The world's number one player went in Maintal

IPP Open on Saturday, in the hall was the best player the world number one. So really. Perhaps the man's appearance familiar hieraisivat eyes, but there he was. Marat Safin, now 30-year-old Russian who in 2000-2001 was three times the number one spot, a total of nine weeks.

Safin was otherwise the player who stopped Pete Sampras record for the number one player in 286 weeks. That record is likely to be eternal. Well, the former number one Roger Federer has, however, only a week or so behind!

Marat moved relaxed in Tali and took huilit in the VIP rooms on the couch. His visit joined the main sponsor, invited competition, where the former star was also in the field.
Some pics might turn up later on the photo page.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #4052
country flag sunny777

sunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond reputesunny777 has a reputation beyond repute

monkeytattoo,thanks for the news. but something in the photo, I have not seen Marat, and if you can please explain what is he doing there?
sunny777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #4053
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny777 View Post
monkeytattoo,thanks for the news. but something in the photo, I have not seen Marat, and if you can please explain what is he doing there?
Hi sunny, here's a post I found yesterday on MTF in the Helsinki thread / Challenger Series forum, posted by Smasher:

Quote:

Marat Safin was in Tali today. There was some sort of business event at the back courts and the people invited played doubles together. Marat and some other famous ex-athletes like Jari Kurri were playing there just for fun.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #4054
country flag monkey247

Great news! Yesterday Marat was inducted into the Russian Tennis Hall of Fame. (pic from here)

More detailed article on GoTennis.ru.

Quote:

Safin, Lihovtseva and Lepeshin included in the Russian Tennis Hall of Fame / GoTennis.ru | 30.11.2010

Today, Tuesday 30 November, in Moscow, in the studio NTV-Plus held their annual ceremony of the introduction of the "Russian Tennis Hall of Fame." As reports from the scene correspondent GoTennis.ru, new members of the Russian Tennis Hall of Fame ", included famous Russian tennis players Marat Safin and Elena Lihovtseva. Marat and Elena have won the award for "modern tennis players and personalities of tennis". A prize winner in "Coaches" was recognized departed from us on February 15 this year, coach Yevgeny Kafelnikov, a former captain of the national team in the Davis Cup, Anatoly Lepeshin.

Marat Safin began his professional career in 1997. During the speech, Marat won 15 titles, apart from which there are winning the US Open-2000 and Australian Open-2005. Incidentally, the title won in the courts of Melbourne Park, was for Safin racket hanged on a nail at the end of 2009 season, the last of his career. Highest achievement of Russians in the ATP rankings was the first place that he got 20 November 2000. During the speech, Marat has earned $ 14,373,291 in prize money.

At the moment 30-year-old Marat holds the position of Vice-President of Russian Tennis Federation (OFWs) on a voluntary basis, to which he was appointed head of the federation Shamil Tarpishchev on November 19 this year.

In turn, the 35-year-old Muscovite Elena Lihovtseva debuted in professional Tour in 1992. Lihovtseva achieved the greatest success in doubles, winning with different female partners 27 titles. In the "solitary" she excelled three times - in the French Montpellier (1993), the Australian Gold Coast (1997) and the U.S. Forrest Hills (2004). The highest achievement of Elena in the ranking of WTA - 15 th place in the singles rankings (October 25, 1999,) and third in doubles (27 September 2004-go). During performances Russian woman earned $ 6,237,556 in prize money. His career Lihovtseva completed at the end of US Open-2008.

With regard to Lepeshina then Anatoly led team of Russia in 1995, the year, and in the first year under his leadership, our national team for the first time the finals, losing in the C / K "Olympic" Team USA - 2-3. However, in the following season in the opening round of the World Group in 1996, the Russians gave the Italians 2-3. Although the playoff game, our team defeated the Hungarians - 4-1, in the following year, in 1997, led the Russian team, Shamil Tarpishchev, who is at the helm of the team and to this day.

Details of the ceremony will follow later ...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #4055
country flag AnnieNik

AnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytattoo View Post
Great news! Yesterday Marat was inducted into the Russian Tennis Hall of Fame.
Thanks for the link and all the pics, Heidi!

The induction was announced few weeks ago, but Marat wasn't in he country and my guess is they waited for his return

Here is his interview after the ceremony http://www.mk.ru/sport/interview/201...oy-slavyi.html

*I'll try to translate, if I have time...*

Quote:
Q: What do you feel now, Marat?
M: How do you think? Not everyday one has such a historical moment. It is very important to feel that your achievements are valued.

Q: Admit it, did you feel nostalgia, when the touching video clips of your performances were shown, and the guests were applauding you?
M: No! Because in those videos I saw something different. I saw all that that I had to go through to live to these moments.

Q: So, you feel comfortable as an official in the Russian Tennis Federation?
M: Right now it's easier for me.

Q: Do you get "drive" from your current job?
M: Of course.

Q: How do you think, will it be possible to make two more ATP tournaments in Russia - in Sochi and Kazan? This mission is given to you by the federation....
M: There is a chance for success, but I'll not run ahead of time. This is unbelievably hard to get such tournaments. there is a cruel battle for them from many countries. So, until the mission is done, there is nothing I will talk about.

Q: But wait, what about your huge image in the tennis world, your charisma?
M: There is no such thing. The tennis bureaucrats are like our policemen. No charisma could affect them.

Q: Are you saying that our traffic cops don't let you go, after they stop you for inspection?
M: No way! In our country people hate those, considered as rich. They want only one thing - to get money from them.

Q: What goals will you am to achieve now?
M: I want to do real things. I don't like lies. About the short-terms plans... Probably, I'll celebrate the award (smiling)

Marat left with the friendly company of Likhovtzeva and Myskina to fulfill the positive goal
И жизнь, и слезы, и любовь.

Last edited by AnnieNik : 12-02-2010 at 08:49 AM.
AnnieNik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #4056
country flag monkey247

Thanks so much Annie! Yes, a couple of weeks ago I found a Championat article announcing the HoF category winners, but nothing about the actual induction ceremony.

There are a few paragraphs here (again from Championat.ru) about Marat - if you have time, would you mind translating them?

From here - "Ещё одним лауреатом в номинации "Современные теннисисты и деятели тенниса" стал Марат Сафин ... " - to here "В ответ Марат, как честный человек, тут же вспомнил матч с американцами, когда он дебютировал в сборной в 18-летнем возрасте и не смог в пятом поединке справиться с Джимом Курье в пяти сетах, и повинился: "Я старался, но не смог".

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #4057
country flag monkey247

More news about the forthcoming Rise of Legends tournament which Sherri / maratsmaiden first posted about back in June on p. 263.

Also I found this incredibly sweet promotional video of Misha reading from an autocue, which I posted in his forum.

http://www.free-press-release.com/ne...291269607.html

Quote:

December 2, 2010

Rise of Legends to Give Charity Tickets to the Minority in Kaohsiung

Kaohsiung City and the team behind “Rise of Legends” decide to follow Agassi’s lead to extend help to underprivileged by giving out free tickets to see the inspiring figure.

The Rise of Legends tennis exhibition will be held in Kaohsiung Arena on January 8th, 2011. The event co-host, Department of Sports, Kaohsiung City and Integration Sports have decided to give tickets to students from low-income family and victims of typhoon Morakot, hoping that these five tennis super stars’ high spirit would inspire the minority to bravely “Fight Again”!

“Tennis has swept the nation after Taiwanese talent, Yen-hsun Lu, reached the quarterfinal in Wimbledon this year,” Department of Sports said. “Rise of Legends featuring our own pride, Yen-hsun Lu and Jimmy Wang, along with tennis super stars, Andre Agassi, Marat Safin and Mikhail Youzhny, will definitely become a big hit in Taiwan.”

Not only has the co-host encouraged the public to grasp the opportunity to witness this history-making tennis event, but also hoped to bring students of low-income family and victims of typhoons into the arena to feel the positive energy of this legendary match.

Department of Sports, Kaohsiung City announced that outstanding students of low-income family and victims of typhoon Morakot and Fanapi can apply for the Rise of Legends tickets starting from today. All entries must be postmarked by December 17th, 2010. Department of Sports will give out 50 free tickets by public sortition.

For further information and application form download, please download from below link (Chinese only) or call Section of Competitive Athletics at Department of Sports, Kaohsiung City at +886-7-723-2751 #659.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #4058
country flag monkey247

Also Marat is apparently involved in some conservation project for protecting polar bears. From Mainpeople.ru

Charity photo exhibition, GUM store, Moscow, 01 December 2010.

Quote:

"Christmas bears and other toys"

01 December with the participation of WWF, stars of Russian show business had a grand charity event "Christmas bears and other toys", designed to protect polar bears.

To stop the trouble and draw attention to the threat of extinction of polar bears by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) held a unique charity event, presenting the photo exhibition "New Year's bears and other toys". Its aim - in a creative way to convey to people the information about the danger looming over the polar bears. To cause a maximum response in the society, the organizers appealed to the stars of show business. Olga Rustle, Lera Kudryavtseva, Dmitry Koldun, Irakli, Mark Tishman, Vladimir Presnyakov, Irina Dubtsova, a group of "Factory", Nastia Zadorozhnaya, Zhanna Epple, Evelyn Bledans Stas Kostyushkin, Anastasia, Anfisa Chekhov - are just a few names from a long list famous people who participated in this project.

Dressed in a T-shirt with the image of polar bears, they hit the lens of the famous photographer Vladimir Shirokov (**the b&w portrait of Marat is from 2007, I think). That as many Russians have paid attention to the threat of extinction of polar bears, the absolute world champion in boxing Natalia Rogozin and singer and actress Anastasia Kochetkova made to try a new role. They made a series of fun, creative shots, asking his stellar friends and colleagues on the shop floor to become their models.

Exhibition "Christmas bears and other toys", timed to coincide with the Christmas holidays, has become an important part of long-term project "Bear Patrol".

Last edited by monkey247 : 12-02-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #4059
country flag AnnieNik

AnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieNik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks so much Annie!
There are a few paragraphs here (again from Championat.ru) about Marat - if you have time, would you mind translating them?
here they are...

Quote:
Safin: Thank you for the honor to be among such people

The next receiver of award in the category "Contemporary tennis players and activists" was Marat Safin, who retired last year. Despite his celebrity status and fans' love and gratitude all over the world, Marat was a bit embarrassed. No matter that he found the right and good words to address the present people: "Thank you very much for the honor to be part of such an esteemed company. Thank you to all the journalist who voted for me. You wrote about me during my whole career. Thank you that your attitude to me was nice. Thank you that you wrote good things about us, well, sometimes not so good things. Keep doing your job, it is within your power to make little kids turn into bright stars. Thank you."

The national team's captain Shamil Tarpishev recalled a story that describes Marat: "I'll never forget this story in 1999, when Marat had a very bad elbow injury. The score versus Slovak Republic was 2:2, and the 5th tie versus Hrbaty was 2:2 sets. I told Marat: "Decide yourself, but you really have a serious injury. It's better to retire." He replied that he'll play. That's his inner character, patriotism, inner power that he always had in team competitions. He could mislead the team, if the match was of no importance, but what's the point to play then?! When the match was important, one could always rely on Marat."

As an honest man, Marat replied, he that also remembers the match versus the US, when he debuted in the national team at the age of 18. In the 5th rubber he couldn't overcome Jim Courier in 5 sets, and guiltily admitted: "I tried, but I couldn't."
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #4060
country flag monkey247

^ Annie, you are simply the biz, thank you so so much.

Quote:

Thank you that you wrote good things about us, well, sometimes not so good things. Keep doing your job, it is within your power to make little kids turn into bright stars. Thank you."
God knows Marat has had good reason to be rancourous towards the press throughout his career, so it's wonderful that he instead responds by encouraging them to encourage the youngsters.

Re polar bears, a link to WWF: http://www.wwf.ru/about/what_we_do/s...r/umka-patrol/ and also the "Bear Patrol" link: http://belyemedvedi.ru/

Last edited by monkey247 : 12-02-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #4061
country flag AnnieNik

Quote:
^ Annie, you are simply the biz, thank you so so much.

Re polar bears, a tlink to WWF: http://www.wwf.ru/about/what_we_do/s...r/umka-patrol/ and also the "Bear Patrol" link: http://belyemedvedi.ru/
thanks! Btw even Vladimir Putin is part of that campaign Recently there was a big forum on the topic and Leonardo DiCaprio donated huge amount

*a whole lot of useless info, I know *
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #4062
country flag monkey247

^ No, not useless at all! I just wonder how much courage of their convictions these guys have. Can you imagine Marat swapping his Cayenne for a bicycle and/or public transportation?!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #4063
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

He is in Belgrade for the DC final.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #4064
country flag monkey247

Marat's in Belgrade! http://sport.blic.rs/Tenis/188988/UZ...nfis-na-terenu

Quote:

14:05 - Janko and Gael are heated, the Arena is not completely filled, a lot of noise right around 200 supporters of France. Empty chairs are visible on the VIP section, where they took their seats legendary Bata Zivojinovic and regular visitor Bob Zivojinovic, Lepa Brena, Snezana Samardzic-Markovic, Mladjan Dinkic, Radmilo Armenulic, Marat Safin, Djokovic family ...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #4065
country flag monkey247

Livestream (in French) for Tipsarevic/Monfils, from here.