What do you do for fitness? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
country flag pinguino
Banned!

pinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond reputepinguino has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you do for fitness?

Gotta be honest with you guys, I haven't played tennis in several years (and I was never serious about it anyway but I did manage to learn the basics) and I stopped smoking cigarretes 4 weeks ago (after being a smoker for 7 years) so you'll figure out I'm far from being in the best physical shape right now.

So anyhow, I bought a jumping rope recently as I figured it's a great excercice for tennis and also to help to breathe better. I started jumping a couple of days ago and now the lower parts of my legs kind of hurt which I guess is good stuff.

Anyhow, aside of the jumping rope, what would you guys recommend me for fitness?
pinguino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do for fitness?

Run, run, run. Running is the main physical strength you need, so it is only natural that running greatly improves your game. You get faster chasing down balls, more overall stamina to play longer and get stronger legs for better footwork.

If you haven't done much physical exercise for a long time, I would take it easy and do some jogging for 10-15 miles a week until you feel comfortable and start finding that length easy. Remember, TAKE IT EASY. It is so easy to get injured or put your body in too much stress especially if you're a smoker (I've never smoked cigarettes, so I personally wouldn't know about this aspect but it would make sense).

After you feel really good being able to run 10-15 miles a week, slowly start increasing your running speed and do a combination of short sprints and longer slower strides since tennis combines both agility and stamina. Then after a while of that, you can up the amount to whatever you feel like.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
country flag fleabitten

fleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on quitting smoking! Good job! I know how hard that can be.
I agree with the running advice. Builds up great stamina.
For fitness, the best thing that has worked for me is diet. I stopped eating red meats, saturated fats and cheese (except for the rare treat) and I dropped about 15 pounds. Now I cover the court with speed.
fleabitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many things you can do for tennis. With the running, you need to do some interval training as tennis is a speed endurance sport. Got to have the endurance, but needs short bursts of speed as well.

Do some hill runs, in the winter some cross country skiing. With the intervals, go out moderately, then quicken the pace, slow down and go hard. The body doesn't get used to one pace antics and it will help the speed endurance.

Weight training works as well, it's not about lifting 3000kg, a lot of reps with short breaks. Squats work the back, core, legs all very important parts of tennis, then do some training with the fit ball.

Mix it up.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Already banned
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on not smoking, keep at it. The key is to ease your body back into fitness, running a good distance 5 times a week will do wonders for your endurance and overall health. Burst exercises should be used to build speed and strength. Use weights but use them in an intelligent way, read up about muscle groups (if you haven't done already) and learn how to condition your body.

As for me, I have always ran, i love running. But since i came to university i stepped it up quite a bit. I do a 40 minute Hill run on the treadmill, followed by 15 minute hill on the bikes. I then do resistance work on various gym equipment, i don't over do the weight training as i don't want to get really beefy. Stationary lifts and body weight exercises and then a 20 minute HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) routine on the treadmill to finish off, i am absolutely spent by the time i am finished, my body feels drained. I do this 4/5 times a week, coupled with a sensible diet.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, as the guys have said speed, endurance and core work are your friends here. I got lazy over the past couple of years and stopped working on my fitness outside tennis and it's hurt my movement around the court and defensive game. After matches I can barely move the next morning! I've started on a pretty hardcore training programme before work now though so hopefully that will pay off on-court.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote