Doping in Tennis Thread (No accusations without proof. Wada could test using hair) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Does Tennis need more/stricter testing?

yes 275 84.10%
no 52 15.90%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #46
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christophe Rochus on doping in tennis: "There is a lot of cheating"

Sorry if it's already been posted.

Quote:
Christophe Rochus fires parting shot on doping

Reported on October 31, 2010

In an interview with Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure, the retiring Christophe Rochus has said he believes doping takes place in tennis and that he "would not be against" the legalization of performance-enhancing drugs.

"There's a lot of cheating. Simply, people don't like to talk about it," he said. "I simply would like to stop the pretending. This hypocrisy is exasperating."

Rochus, who said he received a warning letter from the ATP after speaking out on the issue in the past, estimated he received 10-15 tests a year for ten years under the anti-doping program but believed some players managed to evade the system.

"I've seen things like everyone else. For me, it's inconceivable to play for five hours in the sun and come back like a rabbit the next day," he said. "I remember a match against a guy whose name I will not say. I won the first set 6-1, very easily. He went to the bathroom and came back metamorphosized. He led 5-3 in the second set and when I came back to 5-5... his nose began bleeding. I told myself it was all very strange."

Asked whether he was open to allowing the use of performance-enhancing drugs, Rochus said, "I would not be against it. Anyway, it exists.

"People who take these There's type of products know very well they take risks with their health. But they take it knowing because it could let them make a living for their entire family.

"There's the case of Canas, for example. I can cite his name because he has been caught twice, so one can assume he was doping. [Editor's note: Canas has received one anti-doping suspension under the ani-doping program. Mariano Puerta is the only tennis player to have received two suspensions.] In the end, he sacrified to make a living for for multiple generations of his family. His cause was almost noble."

Rochus also addressed past speculation that some sort of doping suspension was behind Justine Henin's sudden retirement in May 2008, from which she returned approximately 18 months. A standard doping suspension is two years.

"I heard [the rumours] like you," he said. All I can say is, I found it surprising, her sudden stop without apparent reason. Usually, champions like this announce several months in advance and do a sort of farewell tour."

Over the course of a three-part interview, Rochus also reflected on his career and companred the men's and women's game, saying depth and difficulty are far higher on the men's tour.
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templ...=8532&zoneid=6
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #47
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christophe Rochus on doping in tennis: "There is a lot of cheating"

Doping and fixing, like the ATP give a shit.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #48
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A short history of drugs in tennis

Should be easy enough to figure out who Rochus is talking about, narrowed it down to only 6 possibles....

ps anyone else amused by Rochus getting moralistic about cheating? :-)
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #49
country flag cutesteve22

cutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond reputecutesteve22 has a reputation beyond repute

I believed what Rochus said
cutesteve22 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #50
Shirogane

Shirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond reputeShirogane has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the link.

David Nalbandian ♦ Roger Federer ♦ Mikhail Youzhny ♦ Dustin Brown ♦ Nikolay Davydenko ♦ P-H. Herbert

Shirogane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #51
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why they don't just permanently ban players who are shown to be guilty after a hearing. If players are doing this to support familys and lifestyles, taking away the opportunity to do this would greatly change the circumstances.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #52
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Should be easy enough to figure out who Rochus is talking about, narrowed it down to only 6 possibles....

ps anyone else amused by Rochus getting moralistic about cheating? :-)
I narrowed it down to 1.

THE GREAT TACTICAL RIVALRY OF THE OPEN ERA
FEDERER 10 VS TONI NADAL 20
ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
RAPHEAL NADULL,A PRETTY FACE & MUSCLE
NOTHING MORE

Fed 2 nadull 13 fed is nadull CLAY TURKEY. THE REAL ERA 2003-2010.
luie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #53
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute

"Over the course of a three-part interview, Rochus also reflected on his career and companred the men's and women's game, saying depth and difficulty are far higher on the men's tour."

Really?!?! Wow, I had no idea.. this is totally new to me! LMAO.

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #54
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

There should be an ATP world tour Coke party
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #55
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

I know people like to speculate that there was a 'physical' reason for Justine's sudden retirement, but I honestly think she was suffering from severe depression and that's why she retired. She mentioned burnout and lack of motivation, but I have to wonder if she was dealing with a mental health issue and knew she needed to get off the tour and stop traveling to fix it.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #56
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
I narrowed it down to 1.
If you're thinking Gasquet cos of the nosebleed, it's not :-) Wasn't 5-3 up in the 2nd.

Last edited by philosophicalarf : 10-31-2010 at 07:24 PM.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #57
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say doping and fixing are quite frequent in the rankings where christophe rochus was.

Like they say, you make the big bucks if you consistently stay within the top 100. Outside of it, you are scrapping like a dog.

I wish you guys gave your selections, I only went by this year's matchups for him, Marsel Illhan and Donald Young. Donald is too stupid to dope properly and I have little knowledge of Illhan.
tennisfan856 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christophe Rochus fires parting shot on doping

Christophe Rochus fires parting shot on doping

In an interview with Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure, the retiring Christophe Rochus has said he believes doping takes place in tennis and that he "would not be against" the legalization of performance-enhancing drugs.

"There's a lot of cheating. Simply, people don't like to talk about it," he said. "I simply would like to stop the pretending. This hypocrisy is exasperating."

Rochus, who said he received a warning letter from the ATP after speaking out on the issue in the past, estimated he received 10-15 tests a year for ten years under the anti-doping program but believed some players managed to evade the system.

"I've seen things like everyone else. For me, it's inconceivable to play for five hours in the sun and come back like a rabbit the next day," he said. "I remember a match against a guy whose name I will not say. I won the first set 6-1, very easily. He went to the bathroom and came back metamorphosized. He led 5-3 in the second set and when I came back to 5-5... his nose began bleeding. I told myself it was all very strange."

Asked whether he was open to allowing the use of performance-enhancing drugs, Rochus said, "I would not be against it. Anyway, it exists.

"People who take these type of products know very well they take risks with their health. But they take it knowing because it could let them make a living for their entire family.

"There's the case of Canas, for example. I can cite his name because he has been caught twice, so one can assume he was doping. [Editor's note: Canas has received one anti-doping suspension under the ani-doping program. Mariano Puerta is the only tennis player to have received two suspensions.] In the end, he sacrified to make a living for for multiple generations of his family. His cause was almost noble."

Rochus also addressed past speculation that some sort of doping suspension was behind Justine Henin's sudden retirement in May 2008, from which she returned approximately 18 months. A standard doping suspension is two years.

"I heard [the rumours] like you," he said. All I can say is, I found it surprising, her sudden stop without apparent reason. Usually, champions like this announce several months in advance and do a sort of farewell tour."

Over the course of a three-part interview, Rochus also reflected on his career and compared the men's and women's game, saying depth and difficulty are far higher on the men's tour.
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #59
country flag name_change

name_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond reputename_change has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christophe Rochus fires parting shot on doping

What an idiot. This is all purely speculative and him mentioning names shows how classless he is. Justine was demotivated and burnt out. It was apparent in her results. And she reached #1 because she was skilled. No amount of performance enhancing drugs can make you hit such amazing backhands or be terrific at the net. That's talent.

And as for Canas being "almost noble", seriously? I'll go rob a bank and give the money to my family. It will give them financial security. Does that make me "almost noble" as well? For players who lost to Canas, what about them? They were not assisted by a banned substance and lost out on $$$ because of Canas. That's not almost noble, that's disgusting. I say this and I'm actually a fan of Canas' game.

I think it's unfair to point fingers when there's absolutely no proof.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #60
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christophe Rochus fires parting shot on doping

gee.. you think this guy woke up one day and said "ill make the headlines before my 15min are finally over and i get forgotten"? or just thought "why not retire and slam the door on my way out?"

not classy but looks like it was burning him so better out than in, though this is just cheap unless you want to make a real change and not just let the crap come out and stink out there

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote