Will Federer regain the #1 spot? - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Yes, and he will cement his reputation as the best player ever 200 55.56%
No, he will forever be two weeks short of the record 160 44.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #151
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Federer become number 1 again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadal_slam_king View Post
Federer would be relying on Rafa to lose before the QFs in slams in order to really help Federer. Plus Rafa can gain points at Australian Open, Queens, Toronto, Cincy. And Rafa's lead is massive, so he can afford some slip-ups.
This. Moreover, if Nadal can have a strong finish in the remaining tournaments this season then as far as rankings are concerned, the ball will (excuse the pun) be in Nadal's court. Roger would have to rely on Rafa slipping up early in a few of the big tournaments as it's unrealistic to assume that he will be able to accumulate enough points just by winning his own matches.

Yes, Rafa does have a lot to defend, but he could realistically gain points in the early hard court season. In addition, it's difficult to see him not winning the French Open. What about the grass court tournaments? Well, he will probably be the favourite for Wimbledon too.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #152
country flag nadal_slam_king
Banned!

nadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond reputenadal_slam_king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
This. Moreover, if Nadal can have a strong finish in the remaining tournaments this season then as far as rankings are concerned, the ball will (excuse the pun) be in Nadal's court. Roger would have to rely on Rafa slipping up early in a few of the big tournaments as it's unrealistic to assume that he will be able to accumulate enough points just by winning his own matches.

Yes, Rafa does have a lot to defend, but he could realistically gain points in the early hard court season. In addition, it's difficult to see him not winning the French Open. What about the grass court tournaments? Well, he will probably be the favourite for Wimbledon too.
Yeah, if Rafa wins Roland Garros it's very difficult for him to lose early at Wimbledon because you know he's in great ball-striking form from the clay and you know he adapts very easily to grass. And yes he can also gain some points at Indian Wells as he's very good on that surface. His future is very well set-up to have a long reign at number one. And even if he gets tendonitis its not big deal, he had tendonitis twice this year and had one knee treated just before the clay season and it fixed it 100% and then the other knee fixed after Wimbledon. It's only a 3-4 day process of blood-spinning treatment. Whereas the 2009 treatment didn't work at all, and wasn't applied by the same doctor. That's no longer an issue
nadal_slam_king is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #153
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
All of you Nadal tards are absolutely idiotic complete wastes of posts.
Fixed.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 464-146...
TITLES: 29 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #154
country flag heartbroken

heartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond reputeheartbroken has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachShot View Post
I think there's something quite powerful about Federer being one week short of Sampras in the total weeks at #1. If only he had converted from any of the following scenarios: being 2 points away from beating Del Potro at the USO, 2 points away beating Davydenko at the WTF, 1 point away beating Baghdatis and Berdych at Indian Wells and Miami, not having to withdraw from Dubai due to a lung infection, not deciding to play Monte Carlo...then the situation could have been so different.

Just goes to show that the margins in tennis can be very thin at times.
The thing about records is there are often elements of good fortune/bad fortune that come into play to twist the numbers. Sometimes they twist your way, sometimes not.

Take Sampras, for example. Were there weeks during his career that he might have lost the number 1 ranking, but maybe got a little lucky? Sure, but there were also times where he wasn't so lucky, and it cost him weeks at the top.

I thought Sampras was playing some of the best tennis of his career during the pre USO swing in 1999, but a back issue forced him to withdraw from the USO. My opinion is that without that back problem, Sampras would have won the USO that year, and finished the year number 1 for a seventh consecutive year.

However, that's not what happened, and I don't grant Sampras an exception for being hurt when I look at various records. It's just the way it is. One player doesn't always get the benefit of everything going their way. There were times that Sampras was lucky. There were times when Sampras was unlucky. That's life. More power to anyone that can always manage to be on the lucky side in life!

It's a great thing to be lucky, IMO. Is there anyone here who is thinking to themselves that they wished they weren't so lucky in life? I kinda doubt it. And yet, some folks will really protest if you ever try to suggest that a certain player was ever lucky during their career. I believe that at various times, players like Fed, Sampras, and Nadal each got lucky. And at times, each were unlucky. That is what I wouild expect from life...
heartbroken is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #155
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word Life View Post
Fixed.
Thanks, but that wasn't necessary, I wrote what I meant to write

As far as this thread, can Roger become #1 again? Yes. But it will be extremely difficult, as he hasn't had the same intensity and results outside of majors he did prior to 2007, and that is what it's going to take for him to get to #1. Really, his priority seems to be on his family, and on getting majors. So therefore, it's going to take amazing GS results to get #1, and a dip in results from Rafa. It's a lot to ask. But you can never say never with Federer.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #156
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if he can do it at this point.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #157
country flag Mungo

Mungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond reputeMungo has a reputation beyond repute

No, he won't. Sampras' record is safe atm.
Mungo is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #158
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Fed needs to win Wimbledon and/or USO to have anything resembling a chance. Getting his act together in Miami and on clay wont hurt either.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #159
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Navratilova doesn't see Federer back to #1, Fed responds

Quote:
"Roger is on the other side of the float, I don't think he'll ever play as well as he did three or four years ago—that's not to say he can't still win a slam, but it's difficult to see him climbing back to No. 1," Navratilova said. "Nadal is dominating and Djokovic's confidence is off the chart. Roger has lost three matches (this season) to Djokovic and lost to him at U.S. Open last year as well, it will get under his skin."
Roger was asked about it in his presser

Quote:
"You'd rather hear other things, you know. Maybe she missed the London World Tour Finals. I don't know. Maybe she was somewhere else climbing Kilimanjaro. I don't know. I love her."

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #160
country flag Blackbriar
Banned!

Blackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Navratilova doesn't see Federer back to #1, Fed responds

another love affair in tennis. Navratilova is a man. and an ugly one.
Blackbriar is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #161
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

No, unless Nadal and Djoker are out for months with injuries.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #162
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

cool answer there.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #163
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
I don't know if he can do it at this point.
mathematically he can, if he wins Wimbledon and plays well in next months : he just needs to get a little bit more points than Djokovic by Wimbledon and not to lose too many points to Nadal.

Now it's only mathematical
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #164
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Navratilova doesn't see Federer back to #1, Fed responds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumpdasco View Post
Roger was asked about it in his presser

good to see federer putting navratilova in her place. can you give me the source please?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #165
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Navratilova's opinion is good (more accurate than Borg's in 2008 who said that Fed was only Wimbledon's 3rd favorite behind Nadal and Nole ),

but Fed's answer is funny : he's a funny guy to me (at least to me because I know for others he has no humour or personality at all he's the most boring or devilish person depending on the people)