Tennis Ukraine - future estimation for Dolgopolov??? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #76
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Ukraine - future estimation for Dolgopolov???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques_Ukraine View Post
Marchenko is great character and hard worker. His progress will be slower but steady. IMHO, finally he will be higher than Dolgo and Stakh. Dolgo is more talented player but bad personality. Stakh is a good man and player of his mood
I know the fixer story/incident, but what specifically is bad about Dolgopolov's personality?
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #77
country flag Jacques_Ukraine

Jacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond repute

Washington-2010. Round 2. Marchenko def Gulbis 6-1, 1-0, ret'd
Jacques_Ukraine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #78
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Stakhovsky and Marchenko aren't good enough to win big, dunno the other two. But I doubt that one of these guys will end up in the top 50 next season, their only hope is Stakhovsky.

Dolgopolov will reach the top twenty soon.
Stakhovsky and Marchenko still have to improve but they're going in the right direction.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 473-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #79
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro View Post
Interesting topic, Nathi.

I think we could see 3 Ukrainians into the top 100 next year, but not sure about the 4th...don't know enough about Sergeyev to be able to comment.

Stakhovsky has the ability to be a solid top 100 player, although I'm not sure how much better he could be...certainly, as far as rankings are concerned, he should have a realistic shot at top 50 in the first half of 2010, but I'm not sure that he could sustain that level.

I felt that Dolgopolov had some promise when I first saw him at the GBR/UKR tie in Odessa (2006?), and it is good to see him finally breaking through. He had good touch and feel for the ball...nice strokes. But I'm not sure how far into the top 100 he could go as I don't remember him having a big shot...and in today's game that is something you need.

Marchenko...very 'pushy' player when I saw him in that dreadful Davis Cup rubber against Goodall, and couldn't see him being better than top 100. Could add more weight of shot if he wants...has the frame to be able to do it imo. Otherwise, I don't see him taking many good scalps in the ATP events.
Damn I'm good.

Except for the part about Dolgopolov not having a big shot. Saw some of his tennis at Wimbledon and he was able to hit with some pace considering his slight frame. ATP site lists him as 87kg but that doesn't seem right.

I'll revise my estimation for Dolgopolov. Has the talent for top 20 and higher. Hopefully he can work on getting a little stronger so he is less susceptible to injuries.

Not going to revise my estimations for Stakhovsky or Marchenko, though. I'm still not quite sure how Marchenko got this high tbh, but credit to him.

Sergeyev has just recorded a career-high ranking inside the top 150, so it looks like he is getting ready to join them. The only concern is that his ranking could be over-inflated...the majority of his wins seem to be against lower-ranked opposition (lower than #176).

I have still got an eye on Sergei Bubka...
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #80
country flag Helevorn

Helevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond repute

no, I think he's neither near of being 87 kg, he needs to make up some muscles and to train his body, and of course to train his mental strength

these are dolgopolov's first months in the ATP major circuit, so he needs to adapt and to train himself a lot, then he'll be able to enter the top-20 with no problems
Helevorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #81

Jacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond reputeJacques_Ukraine has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto R1: Dolgopolov def Petzschner 1-6 6-2 7-6(7-4)(http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=166663)
Toronto R2: Dolgopolov def Youzhny 1-6 7-6(7-4)7-5 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=166723)

As a result, you could read the following (http://tennisconnected.com/home/2010...ff-the-rise/):

The Next Agassi?

Making my way to the outer reaches of the facility, I was eager to watch young Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov. I’ve had the pleasure of interviewing Dolgopolov on a several occasions, but I’ve never seen him whack the ball in person. I caught a glimpse of the youngster warming up for the event with countryman Stakhovsky on Saturday, but his match against Philipp Petzscher today would be the first time I’ve seen him in match play.

Arriving at the contest at 4-all in third set, my previous thoughts of Dolgopolov were confirmed in 3D. His ultra talented array of shots had reminded me of a young Andre Agassi. There’s no question that Dolgopolov moves better than Agassi ever did, but his off-the-rise ability was very reminiscent of the former American player.

Dolgopolov’s low ball toss is extremely difficult to read, and his slice backhand loses gravity a touch faster than it’s supposed to.

Suffering from heat exhaustion, Dolgopolov made the clever tactical choice to approach the net and conserve any energy that he had left. Leading 6-4 in the final set tiebreak, Dolgopolov benefited from a final Petzschner double fault to advance to the second-round. Slicking his hair back while removing his socceresque headband, Dolgopolov was overlooked at the net by a handshake from Petzschner. Apparently (and this came from Dolgopolov’s agent), Petzschner was upset because he was under the impression that his opponent would retire before the match was competed.

Feeling slightly ill before taking the court, Dolgopolov discussed his opponent’s behavior after the match: “It’s his problem. I’m not angry about it. [It] happens.”

Spoken like a true veteran.

If Dolgopolov continues to improve and get fitter, then we could have another “Agassi-type” player on our hands.

For those of you who saw Dolgopolov’s match against Rafael Nadal at the Madrid Masters, you’re well-versed in what the youngster can do. For those you how haven’t seen Dolgopolov in person, or on TV, I can assure you that it will only be a matter of time.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #82
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Alek is a great player, top 20 is ahead for certain.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,861,357 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 473-148...
TITLES: 30 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #83
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

This thread needs to be bumped sometimes

Stakhovsky is the guy who can keep low profile for the whole season and suddenly peak in one or two tournaments, funny player in this department

Marchenko's march kinda stopped for a change.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #84
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking for some time now that Dolgopolov is a future top 10 player. That said, I still believe it will be a struggle for him to crack the top 5.
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #85
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgopolov and Stakhovsky have the potential to be ranked in the top 20.
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #86

Two recent Q&A with Aleksandr Dolgopolov:

http://tennisconnected.com/home/2010...dr-dolgopolov/

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/bio...dolgopolov-jr/
Old 10-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #87
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgopolov can become top 10 player for sure. He style is very fun to watch.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #88
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgo has some extreme talent, we are talking about world class ability. As he fills out a bit more and matures physically, he's going to be more powerful (and he's got decent power now), he already has some great timing on his shots, flash and explosiveness, and racquet head speed is a major plus for him. He's a natural athlete, and he has the raw natural finesse+power combination that you rarely see with most players.

With all of this said, I still don't know yet if he will be a top 10 player. I've said he wouldn't, to me he is one of those extreme talent players but more flash than substance. But if he puts everything together, he could definitely be a consistent #5-11 or so player.

Marchenko, I've seen him a few times now recently, he's not a consistent top 100 player. Nothing he does is any better or worse than any random player ranked #150. He's got a decent game, but that's about it. I think he'll be one of those guys who bounces between challengers and ATP's his entire career.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #89
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgo has some kind of blood disease, why he can't perform on 100%. Therefore I don't think he will be the absolute top.
Ad Wim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #90
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Dolgopolov will reach a career high of #3 in May 2013

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote