Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How will it look?

Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 99 38.37%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.69%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 19 7.36%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 20 7.75%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.75%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 18 6.98%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.94%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.39%
Equal 4 1.55%
Federer ahead 47 18.22%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #61
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa_maniac View Post
It's a tough question measuring personal appeal in regards to the quality of a season because for instance, everyone agrees that a final appearance is a better achievement in a Slam than a Qf appearance. From the perspective of the players though, I'd take going out to Murray with an injury issue in the Oz Open Qf over losing another FO final to my main rival at the only Slam I hadn't won, without even thinking twice.
It doesn't matter which majors were won, they are all difficult. It only matters how far you go and then who you lost to.

It is a much stronger position to lose in a final to one of the best ever as the only blemish on grand slam performance for the year than to someone who never won a slam.
This is the whole argument.

Up to this point in the season Fed has the advantage, the rest of the season remains but there is no wiggle room for Nadal.

Just be happy for what Nadal has done.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #62
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

fed has the advantage (advantage in terms of numbers of total slams since you are hooked on that number 16) in slams because he was good and because he is 5 years older than the clay warrior.

he has NO advantage over nadal. zero. none.

numbers cannot lie. check them a few times again before hitting the sack tonight.

and when you are done check the numbers---as they relate to each other--- again. espeically in slam finals on ALL surfaces.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #63
country flag rafa_maniac

rafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond reputerafa_maniac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisht4u View Post
It is a much stronger position to lose in a final to one of the best ever as the only blemish on grand slam performance for the year than to someone who never won a slam.
This is the whole argument.
That argument doesn't come from a player perspective. If you are Federer or Nadal, which GS loss would you choose to have of the two? That's why this isn't as cut and dry as some formula for total win % or overall GS success as some make out.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #64
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbroken View Post
Again, I have no interest in convincing anyone to accept my opinion. I offered an opinion to the original poster, because he asked for opinions. Up to a point, I'm willing to try to clarify that opinion, but I just don't have anything else to add to the discussion...
Well, you seem to keep getting hung up on the fact that players would love to have won a slam, where they did not -- and that's simply not the argument; so there's no reason to continue beating that horse. The only clarification I'm asking is why, from your so-called "players perspective," winning three slams in X order is better than winning three slams in Y order, particularly given Federer not only went one better by reaching the other final, but also dominated in a historical fashion to boot.

Edit: By the way, Borg was asked whether he would trade one of his Wimbledons for a U.S. Open title. Guess what his response was?

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.

Last edited by Macbrother : 09-26-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #65
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa_maniac View Post
That argument doesn't come from a player perspective. If you are Federer or Nadal, which GS loss would you choose to have of the two? That's why this isn't as cut and dry as some formula for total win % or overall GS success as some make out.
I know some will disagree, no problem.
Forget the names Nadal and Fed, just look at the numbers. There were great things in both seasons and so I isolate the seasons, I don't consider who needs which slam or how many times in a row a slam is won. Just the results from the year.

If you want to add importance as far as what is needed then you can if you want, but ten years from now it won't matter much.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #66
country flag andylovesaustin

andylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
Well, you seem to keep getting hung up on the fact that players would love to have won a slam, where they did not -- and that's simply not the argument; so there's no reason to continue beating that horse. The only clarification I'm asking is why, from your so-called "players perspective," winning three slams in X order is better than winning three slams in Y order, particularly given Federer not only went one better by reaching the other final, but also dominated in a historical fashion to boot.

Edit: By the way, Borg was asked whether he would trade one of his Wimbledons for a U.S. Open title. Guess what his response was?
What do you really expect Borg to say? The USO frustrated Borg time and time again from what I can tell. Do you expect him to say he'd trade Wimby for something that continued to frustrate him? Do you think he really "liked" the USO? So why do would you think he'd trade a Wimby or FO for a win at the USO?

Besides, I think that was a dumb question. I don't think Borg needed to "trade" anything. I don't think a person can "trade" titles in tennis. But the point is Borg couldn't win the French, Wimby, and the USO back to back. So who the hell cares anyway?

Look... it's great to win the AO and then two other grand slams, but not a third. But as I said.. Rafa winning the FO, Wimby and USO back to back is a pretty big deal. Plus didn't he go undefeated during the clay season? Oh... and by the way... how many sets did he lose TOTAL in the FO, Wimby and USO? It's like very few players could even take a SET off Rafa this year in the MAJORITY of grand slams...

I know Roger's fans want to make it everything all about Roger. But Rafa's accomplishment is obviously pretty unique.

Jeez... people trying to discredit Rafa's success, but if Roger had been the one to win all three but drop the AO, then.. it would be a completely different story...

P.S. Do you think Pete Sampras would trade one of his grand slam titles--for the FO? I don't think so... I mean.. c'mon.. what do you expect these people to say? Do you think he would actually trade those titles after he fought so hard to earn them??

Get out of town!

P.S.S. Do you think Roger would "trade" any of his past success--any of his titles to have Rafa's year? No the hell he would not. All of those titles were hard fought and well-earned. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean he wouldn't have LOVED to have Rafa's year... this year. It's a big deal. At least Roger knows it's a big deal.

Last edited by andylovesaustin : 09-26-2010 at 04:21 AM.
andylovesaustin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 AM   #67
country flag Macbrother

Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylovesaustin View Post
What do you really expect Borg to say? The USO frustrated Borg time and time again from what I can tell. Do you expect him to say he'd trade Wimby for something that continued to frustrate him? Do you think he really "liked" the USO? So why do would you think he'd trade a Wimby or FO for a win at the USO?

Besides, I think that was a dumb question. I don't think Borg needed to "trade" anything. I don't think a person can "trade" titles in tennis. But the point is Borg couldn't win the French, Wimby, and the USO back to back. So who the hell cares anyway?
The point is, from a player's perspective, was it that big a deal to Borg to win on this so-called holy grail of three different surfaces? Answer: no. More likely, this is a fan/media invention to try and cater greatness to a particular player.

Quote:
Look... it's great to win the AO and then two other grand slams, but not a third. But as I said.. Rafa winning the FO, Wimby and USO back to back is a pretty big deal. Plus didn't he go undefeated during the clay season? Oh... and by the way... how many sets did he lose TOTAL in the FO, Wimby and USO? It's like very few players could even take a SET off Rafa this year in the MAJORITY of grand slams...

I know Roger's fans want to make it everything all about Roger. But Rafa's accomplishment is obviously pretty unique.

Jeez... people trying to discredit Rafa's success, but if Roger had been the one to win all three but drop the AO, then.. it would be a completely different story...
Don't have a dog in the fight, sorry, I appreciate both players and I am a big fan of Nadal, particularly his toughness on the court and the way he carries himself off of it, so this has nothing to do with that; despite your obvious attempt to make that an issue. Strictly discussing the facts, I'll ask again, why is QWWW and a 79% win percentage (likely to get worse, mind you) superior to WFWW with YEC's and a 95% win percentage.

Let me reiterate. I am not trying to denigrate Nadal in any fashion. But the numbers don't lie: Federer was more successful and more dominant.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #68
country flag andylovesaustin

andylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond reputeandylovesaustin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The point is, from a player's perspective, was it that big a deal to Borg to win on this so-called holy grail of three different surfaces? Answer: no. More likely, this is a fan/media invention to try and cater greatness to a particular player.

Don't have a dog in the fight, sorry, I appreciate both players and I am a big fan of Nadal, particularly his toughness on the court and the way he carries himself off of it, so this has nothing to do with that; despite your obvious attempt to make that an issue. Strictly discussing the facts, I'll ask again, why is QWWW and a 79% win percentage (likely to get worse, mind you) superior to WFWW with YEC's and a 95% win percentage.

Let me reiterate. I am not trying to denigrate Nadal in any fashion. But the numbers don't lie: Federer was more successful and more dominant.
I don't want to have a "dogfight" either. However... c'mon.......

Borg said it didn't matter because HE NEVER DID IT in spite of having a number of opportunities. It's just like Sampras not winning the French.. oh... that doesn't matter to HIM.. but there's a big hole in his resume. There. just. is. whether Pete wanted to win the French or not.

So.. you know... look.. as I said it just seems to me SOME people just don't give Rafa the credit he deserves. I guess you and I are just going to have to disagree but I think Rafa winning the "trifecta" is a pretty big deal.

And it would have been a pretty big deal if Borg could have done it. It would have been a pretty big deal if Sampras could have done it. And it would have been a pretty big deal if Roger could have done... Roger still having his opportunities.

If any of these guys had done it.. their fans would be

But since Rafa did it..the accomplishment isn't as great or something?

Get out of town..
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #69
country flag Macbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylovesaustin View Post
I don't want to have a "dogfight" either. However... c'mon.......

Borg said it didn't matter because HE NEVER DID IT in spite of having a number of opportunities. It's just like Sampras not winning the French.. oh... that doesn't matter to HIM.. but there's a big hole in his resume. There. just. is. whether Pete wanted to win the French or not.
Nope, actually Sampras admits that he would've loved to win the French, and he recognizes that is a huge hole in his resume -- the media once jokingly asked Federer (with Pete beside him, during an exhibition) if Federer would rather have the Olympics or an FO victory, Pete immediately jumped in and said the French. So clearly to some players its a bigger deal than others. Regardless, that still doesn't mean that Pete would trade any other slam victory for the French -- a slam is a slam.

Quote:
So.. you know... look.. as I said it just seems to me SOME people just don't give Rafa the credit he deserves. I guess you and I are just going to have to disagree but I think Rafa winning the "trifecta" is a pretty big deal.

But since Rafa did it..the accomplishment isn't as great or something?
Didn't say it wasn't a big deal or that it wasn't great. Just saying it's not the greatest since Laver's -- based on the reasons I listed in the last post. Guess what? Not everything in life has to do with whether someone dislikes Nadal or not.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #70
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond reputeRaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Fed without a doubt

Only he appeared in all four major finals, winning almost all of them. That trumps any other criteria.

3/4 > 3/3

2007 > 2010

But as others have pointed out 2007 is not really similar to 2010 (cuz 2007 was a "he just passed his peak" year, whereas 2010 is a "he just reached his peak" year

Last edited by Raiden : 09-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #71
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope, actually Sampras admits that he would've loved to win the French, and he recognizes that is a huge hole in his resume -- the media once jokingly asked Federer (with Pete beside him, during an exhibition) if Federer would rather have the Olympics or an FO victory, Pete immediately jumped in and said the French. So clearly to some players its a bigger deal than others. Regardless, that still doesn't mean that Pete would trade any other slam victory for the French -- a slam is a slam.
Pretty sure Pete would trade one of his AO's for RG in a heartbeat. He'd still have 14 slams, BUT he'd also have a career slam and people really couldn't criticize his failure on clay anymore.

True legends of the game

Nadal = GOAT

2004-2007 = Weakest era in tennis
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #72
country flag Start da Game
Banned!

Start da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond reputeStart da Game has a reputation beyond repute

a final call to all nadal supporters,

stay out of this dumb thread, the comparison is so dumb that it doesn't even deserve any attention.......also remember that you are arguing with pea sized brains and to make matters worse they are already filled with blind love for that ballet clown.......they would even argue that ballerina's 2002 is better than the spartan's 2005.......logging out of MTF to save their arses is the best contribution they can ever offer to any tennis related discussion.......
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #73
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

lol at the poll results, sorry fedtards you just cant beat clay slam and back2back 3 slams on different surfaces.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #74
country flag finn98

finn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond reputefinn98 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriy View Post
Fed without a doubt

Only he appeared in all four major finals, winning almost all of them. That trumps any other criteria.

3/4 > 3/3

2007 > 2010

But as others have pointed out 2007 is not really similar to 2010 (cuz 2007 was a "he just passed his peak" year, whereas 2010 is a "he just reached his peak" year

Consecutive slams on 3 surfaces...Does that ring a bell..?

6<16...9<16..10<16........
finn98 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #75
country flag vn01

vn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's season was a little bit better