String recommendation? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
country flag Fed Fan

Fed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default String recommendation?

In recent weeks, I have developed some problems with my right arm again and was wondering if somebody could suggest a string that provides the attributes I want and is easy on the arm and shoulders.

I see myself more as an all-court player, but I stay at the baseline for much of the time and like to set up approaches to the net etc with aggressive forehand from the back of the court. I hit with a neutral stance, eastern grip and "windshield-wiper" forehand. I'm not the most powerful player by any means, so I rely on coming up with some decent angles to win points.

As such, I'm looking for a string that can generate some topspin and provide some control for angles and which is also easy on the arm and shoulders. Obviously, it's impossible there will be a string that has the playability of Luxilon Big Banger and the softness of gut. One string recommended to me was one of Wilson's NXT strings, so some opinions on this would also be nice.

Thanks for your help.
Fed Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: String recommendation?

if you have arm problems you would generally want to go with a multifilament or gut string, a thin gauge and a lower tension; the combination of which isnt conducive to topspin and control.

one option is to go with a multi, such as nxt or xcel, or a gut. that will give you a comfortable stringbed. to get spin and control you would simply string at a higher tension.

another option is to go for a hybrid of a poly and a multi or gut, but have the multi or gut on the mains. the mains are the primary influence on the stringbed, so having the multi or gut on the mains will give you comfort, and having a poly on the cross will help with control and spin.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
country flag Fed Fan

Fed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFed Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. Which do you think would be most likely to provide some of the qualities I want: NXT or XCEL with slightly thinner gauge and higher tension or the hybrid you suggested?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

i think the hybrid would be better. you also wouldnt need to string it quite as tight.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
country flag Fed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
i think the hybrid would be better. you also wouldnt need to string it quite as tight.
Thanks again for your help. I'll give it try.