Mens Tennis Forums banner

On The US Open 2010 Road

14K views 136 replies 11 participants last post by  Lesliem 
#1 ·
I open the 2010 US hardcourt subject :angel:

It looks like Arno won't enter LA directly no withdrawal until now and still 4 spots from the MD. If he hasn't change his road plan to play again on german clay :lol: he will have to play the qualies there. It's only 250 qualies but the level could be quite high for this kind of tournament with players like Tursunov, Gilles Muller, Kzvin Anderson :help: well it does't sound very easy for a come back after a break of one month :scratch: On the official facebook we learn that he entered the doubles with Erlich :)http://www.facebook.com/FarmersClas...ic-presented-by-mercedes-benz/120756347970672 We'll have to wait the draw to see what he has decided.

Then it will be Washington where he's first alternate, the qualies of the two Masters 1000 and New Haven and of course NY. Big programme, let's see what will happen now :cool:

#2 · (Edited)
Finally he missed the MD for one spot, not lucky this time Arno and as expected the qualy draw is really good for a 250 http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2010/423/qs.pdf . He draws Smyczek who beats him last year at the US Open and who improved since so already tough for a first match and then in second round it should be Nishikori :rolleyes: and then Bogdanovic so he has some chances to stay out of the MD :lol: Well, maybe only a week of train in LA :devil: and playing the doubles could help him to prepare for Washington where he made the MD.

Yesterday he was training on the Grandstand with strange socks :lol: pic by the farmers twitter

#4 ·
Socks are which I noticed at first soulage :lol:
(effet retro souhaité peut-être lol)

#5 ·
63/26/46 I listened a bit the live coverage on radiotennis at the beginning of the match then stop because tennis on radio that's not great :lol:

As the qualifying matches are played on the sycamore courts at UCLA who looks more like pratice courts and as people walk around the venue and on a small hill next the courts Arno was really annoyed and argued a lot about that situation :lol: . I also heard a french man who was cheering for Arno, i don't know if it was a coach or a friend or a fan as i had only the sound :p

Well, it was surely tough for him to stay concentrated on that venue and he had big problems with his serve with low pourcentage :eek:, DF and many BP to defend which seems quite normal for his first matches after a long break but it was really poor :devil:. He needs to find some rythm and a decent serve and playing some doubles matches could help to be ready for Washinghton. There is a lot of works to do on his game even if the fighting seems there as he played long time under the sun and had some long games which lasted more than 10 minutes.

We'll hope that losing again against a low ranked guy and in a first qualifying round :drink: will not depressed him and that he will feel better during next matches as it's a long season until US Open and that he needs confidence.

Some comments on some twitter and some pics of Arno and the venue.

Clement is not built for quallies anymore. His diva attitude is in full force & he self-destructed in the 2nd set.

0-40 and decided then to argue with ump. Forehand long & Clement out in 3. Can't say I'm surprised.

http://twitter.com/Journey_Woman
Is this Lacoste outfit? I'm not a big fan.

Attachments

#6 ·

I know that anything can bother him on the court but i don't understand why people are so harsh with him "He acts like a diva...blablabla". I think a tennis court should be quiet and not always with people talking, walking around, eating or whatever ! I can understand him for that - it's normal to be annoyed by the noise when you need to concentrate.

I hope it will be better in doubles - he has a very good partner and they should be seeded

I agree with you about the shirt (beurk lol). I can't say which is the worst between this one and the red shirt of the beginning of the year :devil:

#7 ·
I'm a fan of arnaud since 2001 and I do understand why people are harsh with him ! He deserves these comments, sorry :eek:
If only one day, someone in the crowd could say him how stupid / bad educated he is when he behaves like that :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Yeah for some of his reactions I agree but not when he's complaining about people making noise on the stands (when they really make noise of course Lol). When you are watching a tennis match you should respect the players (silence between points ect..) - the lack of education is also for these people.

#8 ·
Well, I'm Ok when i saw the venue that Arno is no more built for this kind of qualies matches. When it's play on the same site than the tournament it's OK but here that's maybe too much for him. It doesn't look very exciting en cage avec les grillages :lol: and for the noise there was surely not a lot of people but they were walking and arno was saying seat down :lol: The LA qualies are not for him :lol: , it's a pratice place. And he was surely more nervous because of his level.

For the doubles he will need of a serve :lol: but it can be a good pratice if he can play some matches. I will try to find the Lacoste outfit for US Harcourt because this during one month :help:

#10 ·
En même temps, il lui faut pas grand chose pour se déconcentrer...une mouche qui vole dans les tribunes, y'a que lui pour la voir :lol:

#11 ·
He's aware :lol: All the flash and all the movements he saw them and more when he lost :lol:

Sometimes his behaviour gives funny moments un peu vulgaire OK but funny when you're watching an annoying match :lol: We should try to make a video of all this acting behaviour like for Safin :lol:

#12 ·
ahhh yess a video would be nice.... safin's got one? lol

he hadn't played LA before or maybe not for many years. i think they call him diva because, well, us commoners play on such courts all the time, people walking around us talking laughing etc but somehow it doesn't bother us play. we even have to pay for using such courts :lol:

#13 ·
#14 ·
Smyczek beats easily Nishikori yesterday. Arno had a pratice session with Baghdatis yerterday and they play doubles today as last match in night session on center court.

As we sayed Arno can be a diva on courts :lol: I found this on a forum http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17596 , it's from a volunteer in LA. He can be a nice guy even after a loss :angel:

Got back to the hotel, picked up Clement and coach. Spoke to them at length and asked if he would do me a favor. Told him Scotty is a big fan and would he leave him a voice-mail. Clement said sure, called Scotty, got his voice mail and Clement left a very nice message for him thanking him for being a big fan. I'm sure Scotty will never delete that message.
And then saturday

A few minutes later, Clement and coach walk past me. As soon as Clement sees me, he starts sort of singing, "Scotty, Scotty, how is Scotty"? Even though he had just lost a match 6-4 in the third, you couldn't tell by the levity of the moment. In fact, it was the coach who gave me a thumbs-down signal letting me know Clement had lost.

#15 ·
Arno singing to a fan after a loss, very impressive :eek: just a pity we don't have a video :haha:. He is adorable :)

(merci soulage pour toutes ces trouvailles :worship:)

#18 ·
A close loss 12-14 in the super tie-break i just read that they had big lead in the Match tie-break with 9-6 and 5 MP missed. The close losses are never great for confidence even in doubles :rolleyes: well he can go to Washington now to try to find the win.
GroundPass is covering the LA tournament and the other the guy said Arnaud was one of his favorite player and today we have a little interview. When the guy starts by saying him he's a superhero of tennis you can in the eyes of Arno that he found that guy crazy :lol: A big big fan this Marcus :) http://groundspass.net/

#19 ·
A close loss 12-14 in the super tie-break i just read that they had big lead in the Match tie-break with 9-6 and 5 MP missed. The close losses are never great for confidence even in doubles :rolleyes: well he can go to Washington now to try to find the win.
GroundPass is covering the LA tournament and the other the guy said Arnaud was one of his favorite player and today we have a little interview. When the guy starts by saying him he's a superhero of tennis you can in the eyes of Arno that he found that guy crazy :lol: A big big fan this Marcus :) http://groundspass.net/
:haha::haha:

:bowdown:

#25 ·
I read that he was 3-0 up in the first set so it means that then he lost 12 games to win 1 :help: It was a tough opponent but i didn't expect a big loss like that. His stats on serve are amazing 38% of first serve with 23% during second set :eek: Is his elbow painful or does he serve more crappy each day :rolleyes: I don't know if he will stay in the US all the month :lol: cos it must be long for him. If he lost early in Toronto maybe he could change his schedule.

A pic on that twitter http://tweetphoto.com/36657927 just before the match he was polite Via ;)

Arnaud Clement! Nearly walked right into him, but nice guy said 'Excuse Me' - w/ french accent of course

#28 ·
very sweet smile here... yes it could only be before the match! lol

now we just need higherlaw to come back with her story. at least she'd have caught him this time.

(my arm is sore too, but that's only from playing wii tennis :angel: )

#27 ·
Big loss :eek: i'm afraid for him, he was playing like that with this low percentage of first serve when he was hurt last summer - maybe the elbow protection is not as efficient as it was. I hope I'm wrong I don't want him join Seb' too quickly :awww:

His smile is so cute on this pic :). I agree this shirt is really too large ! I saw that also on a pic with Erlich in L.A (on flickr).

#29 ·
Anyway this shirt is awful :devil: This summer collection is not great :eek: For his elbow i don't know but it could explain his problems :confused: we'll see but he's never very talkative about his injuries. Talking about the elbow protection Bennet was training with the same :lol: we can see it on one of the pic of the twitter i posted. Arno invented a new tennis accessory :lol:

#30 · (Edited)
I love Court 2 as it only has about four rows of bleachers and no fence between the crowd and the court, so I was happy to see that Arnaud would play on that court. I went over there after watching Julien lose. In walked Tipsarevic all dressed in black, with a tennis bag on wheels! I guessed that most people were there to see him and not Arnaud. My first impression of Arnaud was that he was really the most tanned I'd ever seen him. The first set started out fine, with Janko yelling several times throughout about his own play or about his disappointment over a line call. Arnaud had a similar outburst. I didn't think that the level of play was so great, but there were several nice winners by both players. (I'm sorry I can't confirm that he was up 3-0 in the first set, as the scoreboard wasn't working at the beginning and I was answering emails on my phone :p and finding out that Gasquet had retired...).

Arnaud totally took his sweet time at the change-over by s-l-o-w-l-y changing his socks, shirt and bandana. The last point of the first game in the second set is what I assume made him lose his focus. He complained about the call and stared at the umpire for a long, long time. I knew right then that it was the beginning of the end. He totally let it get under his skin and that was that! As the match went on there were a few good winners, but I found my mind wandering as it wasn't very interesting. I can't believe I'm saying that, but the rest of the match was really rather boring, so I plotted the remaining matches I would see that evening, namely--Llodra and Simon.

Arnaud was sshhh-ing the people in the stands and honestly, I can't really blame him. Some people have no clue (or am I a tennis snob?). Roddick played last night and he brings out the "lightweight" tennis fans who really have no idea about tennis-watching etiquette. However, I have seen Arnaud complain about a plane flying over so he really seems to lose his focus sometimes!

He left in a rush and maybe that's the last time I'll see him?

It was off to Micka whose service motion was so much like mine ::haha:!! He's apparently injured. Simon was a real treat to watch so the night was not all bad for me!

One more thing I forgot: his treatment of the ball kids was not too bad, but there was one time (when I was paying attention) that he wouldn't give the kid the towel back until he put the balls on his racquet. Seems pointless.

#33 ·
Thanks Higherlaw :)

However, I have seen Arnaud complain about a plane flying over so he really seems to lose his focus sometimes!
:haha:

I agree Simon is a treat to watch, I'm so glad he's back. :D (Was his gf with him? If so, how big is her belly atm? :))
wouah I didn't know Gilles' girlfriend was pregnant ! I'm very happy for them :D

#31 ·
Thanks for the report. :yeah: If that makes you a tennis snob, I am an even bigger one. :p
Did he also wear this balance bracelet that was hyped during the World Cup? He had it at the bundesliga, I only found out recently he was wearing it, cause I thought it was some sort of small sports watch in Düsseldorf. :lol:
I agree Simon is a treat to watch, I'm so glad he's back. :D (Was his gf with him? If so, how big is her belly atm? :))

#34 ·
Yes, that's it. Don't you agree it looks like a small watch from a distance?
I discovered what it was when I saw someone in the train with it and could have a better look.

Didn't know he has a younger brother, did the youngster look as cute as him? :angel:

Thanks Higherlaw :)

:haha:

wouah I didn't know Gilles' girlfriend was pregnant ! I'm very happy for them :D
I saw photos in the Gilles forum, she was cheering for him and you could really notice her belly. :)
Hopefully we'll get to see baby Gillou when he/she arrives. It must be a cute baby with two good looking parents :D

Sorry for the :topic:
Maybe we should make this on topic and discuss if we expect baby Clement #2 to arrive if Arnaud gets a long term injury like Gilles :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.