Todd Martin becomes Mardy's new coach - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will Todd Martin be a good coach for Mardy?

Yes, he'll be much better than Kelly Jones 16 69.57%
No, Martin and Fish will clash and it won't work 1 4.35%
Any coach change is good news for Mardy 5 21.74%
I don't see what Martin could offer Mardy that Mardy doesn't already know he needs to do 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Todd Martin becomes Mardy's new coach

So what do you all make of Mardy's new coaching situation? Do you think Todd Martin will do better, worse, or about the same as Kelly Jones? Personally, I'm just thrilled that Jones is finally dumped. He may be a nice guy and great friend but he was utterly useless to Mardy as a coach. Mardy needs his ass kicked. I am certain that if Mardy doesn't finally get down to business, Martin will walk. He'll be expecting results and improvements, and so am I.

---------------

Fish makes move to Martin
December 5, 2004

Mardy Fish's two-year coaching relationship with former doubles star Kelly Jones is over. Some time after Fish returns from the Davis Cup final being held this weekend in Seville, Spain, he'll begin working with his new coach, Todd Martin.

Jones deserves a lot of credit for improving Fish's serve and his volleying. But for the last several months, Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe has been publicly prodding Fish, who lives in Tampa, to knuckle down on his off-court training and to get into better shape.

That wasn't happening fast enough with Jones, though Fish has poured more effort into his fitness and strength the past four months. With Martin, he starts a new relationship and probably with a clear understanding that Todd is not only going to give Fish the benefit of his 16 years of tour experience, but he's going to drive Fish hard off the court as well.

Reached at his Ponte Vedra Beach home, Martin was reluctant to comment about the link-up with Fish until Mardy gets home.

But Martin, who was one of the most cerebral players in the game, can infuse Fish with the mental part of the game in the way Brad Gilbert has turned Andy Roddick into more of a thinking player.

Fish, who finished the year at No. 37 in the rankings, has flashed his brilliance most recently by finishing runner-up at the Olympic Games in Athens after a tense five-set loss to Nicolas Massu. But he has not been able to build on his successes, often suffering letdowns in his next big event. That's something Martin also will want to attack.

Fish went from the Olympics to an upset loss to Michal Tabara in the second round at the U.S. Open.

Martin retired, dramatically, at this year's Open, ending a remarkable career in which he established himself as the elder statesman of American tennis. He never won a Slam but finished runner-up at the 1994 Australian Open and 1999 U.S. Open.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todd Martin becomes Mardy's new coach

I think this is a good move for Mardy. Todd was always a player that really exposed his opponets weakness and attacked. I think Mardy will play a lot better next year.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
country flag Jennay

Jennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond reputeJennay has a reputation beyond repute

Good move for sure
Jennay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #4
country flag surfpinky

surfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond reputesurfpinky has a reputation beyond repute

yes a good move kelly did crap
but what can todd offer mardy?
surfpinky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:37 AM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfpinky
but what can todd offer mardy?
Well for one, the importance of being in pristine physical condition and never giving up in a match. Todd always fought til the end. Mardy needs to be able to do that.

Second, Todd and Mardy have relatively similar games. Two-handers with good BH's who serve and volley a lot - that's a rareity in tennis. They are also both solid returners. Todd was able to have some decent clay results and that in part comes from his willingness to be patient and gut/fight matches out. Right now that, and the physical condition are Mardy's two biggest problems IMO and they're two things Todd was good at. Therefore, yeah, I think Todd has a LOT to offer Mardy.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
country flag akazukin

akazukin is on a distinguished road

I really hope Todd Martin will do something good for Mardy. I wish Mardy would win tourneys next year...

Last edited by akazukin : 12-08-2004 at 04:21 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
akazukin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
country flag ataptc

ataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond repute

definitely a good move! kelly was too close to mardy to push him in trainings.. like everyone else here, I'm expecting a much better year too
ataptc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
country flag SwissMister1

SwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond reputeSwissMister1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I didn't hear anything about this...I would say that is a great move for Mardy. This will be Todd's first time coaching anyone, but I'm sure he can adapt to it pretty easily.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

PAW #1 5/22/06
Predict-the-SCORE US Open Champion
SwissMister1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #9
country flag TennisAnyone

TennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond reputeTennisAnyone has a reputation beyond repute

He should go with todd
TennisAnyone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Todd will mainly work with Mardy on his mental game. Mardy does need work in other areas, but IMO Mardy loses matches because his mental game lets him down.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

Old 12-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's true, jenny, but I also think that his mental game is such a problem because he is not fit enough in his physical game. He has nothing to rely on to the point where if he has a little meltdown mentally during a match, he has nothing to rely on to pick himself back up. If he had the knowledge of being in REALLY great shape, he could at least rely on the fact that he *could* go the distance.

And also... Todd was sort of a choker a little bit in his own right, I don't know if what he will really be able to help with his mentality. Though, he was a great fighter, so hopefully he can instill some of the "NEVER EVER give up" thinking into Mardy.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 12-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
country flag Breakaway

Breakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond reputeBreakaway has a reputation beyond repute

I think Todd will be only good for Mardy. I just hope Todd doesn't try to change Mardy's game too much. But I think it's a great move overall.

Andreev, Mathieu, Murray, Tursunov, Safin, Youzhny, Davydenko, Kunitsyn, Korolev, Gabashvilli, Kuznetsov, Ginepri, Jarkko Nieminen and Nalbandian
Breakaway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
country flag Deboogle!.

Mardy's game doesn't need to be changed that much. He needs to improve a few things:

1) his second serve (he has GOT to cut down on DFs)
2) movement
3) Forehand (it breaks down on him)

IMO, everything else is his fitness and mentality

Old 12-30-2004, 12:20 AM   #14
country flag Golfnduck

I agree that his fitness level is horrible which hurts his mental game. He just can't seem to stay focused for those long matches.