Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

159K views 5K replies 24 participants last post by  Lee 
#1 ·
New chat thread! That last one went by so quick!!

Reactions: Alaricus
#1,345 ·
I always hear this about Federer, but there are many players who make tennis look easy. Take a look for example at Djokovic's relaxed easy swing.

i think Federer is a good tennis player, but I don't care for his on court persona nor the many mean things he says about his opponents. Also don't care for the parade of silly costumes or his incessant self congratulatory statements. That's just a brief summary. However, if I can put up with Corey Feldman, I can put up with you. :p
Oh believe me, I'm the first to put my hands up and say Roger can be annoying. He can annoy me loads, for instance I thought he handled the death threats issue shockingly badly. He's also not as gracious as people make him out to be, he can be quite bitter. I fully accept that your Nole is much better in PR than Roger.

I'll say it again, though. I love to watch Federer's game. However I quite often find myself supporting his opponent because I like a lot of the lower-ranked guys who are a bit more honest and bit more real.

I also can't stand the Federer fan base on here. At least half of them are awful. Complacent like their hero.

#1,358 ·
Oh believe me, I'm the first to put my hands up and say Roger can be annoying. He can annoy me loads, for instance I thought he handled the death threats issue shockingly badly. He's also not as gracious as people make him out to be, he can be quite bitter. I fully accept that your Nole is much better in PR than Roger.

I'll say it again, though. I love to watch Federer's game. However I quite often find myself supporting his opponent because I like a lot of the lower-ranked guys who are a bit more honest and bit more real.

I also can't stand the Federer fan base on here. At least half of them are awful. Complacent like their hero.
You are redeeming yourself ;)

You guys are overestimating what I feel about Roger, though. If I was as much of a fan of him as you make me out to be, would I have an avatar with Goffin and Bemelmans in it? Would I have a blank signature with no mention of the man himself? I don't think so.
Goffin is a Fed worshipper.

#1,366 ·
Exactly what I feel. Couldn't sum it up any better! :)

If Federer was ranked 102 in the world instead of 2, I'd probably love him to death. All the self-promotion and sore loser stuff which is part and parcel of being so successful have made him a bit of a brat as a person.

I think Rafa for sure is the best when it comes to humility. Lots of people say its just an act, but certainly I believe he and Nole are really very genuine, and handle the success much much better than Roger. We'll see what Andy is made of if he wins some more slams.

#1,362 ·
Yep, I really don't like that about Federer. Those awful RF caps for a start. He's very self-promotional. Definitely the most self-promotional player on tour.

Nalbandian is lazy, and quite a nasty guy from what I gather. He has a beautiful game.

Let me try and put this another way.

If I was on a train, with limited internet access, so I could only follow the scoreboard. The first players I would look for would be my favourites. So Goffin, Stebe, Bedene, Žemlja, Seppi, Fognini, Simon, Granollers, Berankis etc. The list could go on for quite a while. The likes of Federer and Nalbandian who I like to watch play, wouldn't be near the top.

However if I was at home, and could watch the tennis live online or on the tv, the first names I would look for would be Federer, Nalbandian, Melzer, Wawrinka, Stepanek, Haas etc. That's because they all are great to watch for one reason or another. I'm not really a fan of any of these guys, though. I think I can like to watch them without being a fan? Maybe not.

#1,364 ·
Yep, I really don't like that about Federer. Those awful RF caps for a start. He's very self-promotional. Definitely the most self-promotional player on tour.

Nalbandian is lazy, and quite a nasty guy from what I gather. He has a beautiful game.

Let me try and put this another way.

If I was on a train, with limited internet access, so I could only follow the scoreboard. The first players I would look for would be my favourites. So Goffin, Stebe, Bedene, Žemlja, Seppi, Fognini, Simon, Granollers, Berankis etc. The list could go on for quite a while. The likes of Federer and Nalbandian who I like to watch play, wouldn't be near the top.

However if I was at home, and could watch the tennis live online or on the tv, the first names I would look for would be Federer, Nalbandian, Melzer, Wawrinka, Stepanek, Haas etc. That's because they all are great to watch for one reason or another. I'm not really a fan of any of these guys, though. I think I can like to watch them without being a fan? Maybe not.
Haas :bigclap:

#1,377 ·
It's ok, dear. :hug: it's just a recurrent joke between us. We had to joke about it :lol: but this thread isn't a dictatorship. Most of the days, anyways. :lol:

don't you.worry about it. You like whoever you want, just never cheer for Federer on this thread or against Nole on this Forum. :) that's it.

#1,374 ·
Still appalled.

:facepalm:

I like Murray's game, but don't care for him. Absolutely love Nadal and Nole's games.

I think I can't be objective. If someone has a crap personality, it's hard for me to enjoy their games. It spills over into their conduct on the court. I, however, do not think Federer is the genius he's cracked up to be. He's excellent for sure, but for me, McEnroe was a genius at the game. But, look at people who have really changed the approach to tennis. Do you think Federer has done that? Or is it because he plays a more classical game that the old timers give him praise?

#1,382 ·
I certainly can shut out any character or personality flaws in a player when watching them.

I love all different styles of tennis, I like watching Federer's attacking game, Nalbandian's oppressive baseline game, Melzer's all-court game. Heck, I even enjoy watching Ferrer and Monaco for what they bring to the table. It's great to see a contrast in styles.

My criteria for supporting a player is very arbitrary. Because I love following futures and watching challengers, I quite often see a lot of new interesting faces there, support them for a while, and then once they get more publicity and do annoying things, I lose interest and stop supporting.

I think appreciating someone's tennis and supporting a player are two totally different things, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.