Mens Tennis Forums banner

Chase Buchanan

27K views 110 replies 12 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 · (Edited)
16-year-old (17 in June) Chase Buchanan won the USA F9 Futures title today, beating Venezuelan Jose De Armas 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(2) in the final. The tournament was played on clay, which I don't think is considered his strongest surface (grass is listed as his favorite). His best previous finish in a Futures event came last October, when he lost in the quarterfinals. Here's a link to the draw:

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_21470.pdf?4/7/2008 4:34:48 PM

Buchanan is on a great run. In early April he was a semifinalist at the Grade 1 ITF International Spring Championships. He followed that up by winning the prestigious Easter Bowl, which is probably the second most important national tournament after the Nationals in Kalamazoo. Late last year he reached the quarterfinals of both the Eddie Herr and the Orange Bowl, two major international junior tournaments. He's currently ranked 23rd in the ITF junior rankings. He gave Michael McClune a scare in a Delray Beach qualifying match, losing 2-6, 6-4, 4-6.

Buchanan has long been considered a top American prospect. He won Les Petits As, the premier 14-and-under tournament, in 2005. That after finishing second in the boys' 14 Junior Orange Bowl, the second most prestigious 14-and-under tournament.

He's a baseliner with supposedly a very good backhand. I haven't seen him personally.

Here's a brief interview with him from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljP...w.thetennisclassic.com/videos0429present.html

Here's him returning in today's match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQw...w.thetennisclassic.com/videos0429present.html

Here's championship point from his quarterfinal win over Alex Domijan in the Easter Bowl:

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2008/04/easter-bowl-video-chase-buchanan.html

I attached some pictures of him below. They're from the Easter Bowl.

On a side note, there were some other notable young Americans who played this event: Ryan Harrison (lost 1st rd.), Rhyne Williams (lost 1st rd.), and Alex Domijan (lost 2nd rd.).

Attachments

See less See more
#81 ·
I hope he can turn things around soon.

Ex-Ohio State Buckeyes standout to train at Ivan Lendl International Junior Tennis Academy

Chase Buchanan, a former All-American while at The Ohio State University, will train at the Ivan Lendl International Junior Tennis Academy in Hilton Head Island from May 20-24 with his former coach, Todd Tucker. Tucker is the newly hired Director of Programming and Competition. Buchanan, who is currently ranked in the ATP World Tour Top 350, will spend a week on Hilton Head Island training with Tucker. This marks the first time a current ATP professional is coming to the Academy to practice alongside full-time students.
http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/9268

#86 ·
What's next for Chase

#92 ·

Status: ATP number 276 ranked player. Currently playing an ITF tournament in Yokohama, Japan. Has elevated his ranking from #362 at start of year. Has a 40-24 singles match record this year.

DOB: June 4, l99l in: Columbus, Ohio

College: Ohio State University.

First Tennis Memory: My first memory of tennis was hitting on the garage door as a kid until I put a hole through it. I always remember everyone thinking I was crazy for hitting for so long.

Tennis Inspirations: My aspirations in tennis are to contend for Grand Slams and be in a position to help tennis grow and give back to the people who have helped me and the sport.

Last Book Read: Was a book in a series “Malazan Book of the Fallen” by Steven Erickson. Before that I read Outliers.

Current Car: Is the trusty 2009 Honda Accord.

First Famous Tennis Player You Met Or Encountered: It was John McEnroe in the Big Bear Classic at New Albany Country Club. Although he had just lost and was furious I managed to chase him down and get his autograph. I also had the opportunity to practice with Roger Federer at the U.S. Open and it was probably the coolest experience I’ve had with a top pro.

Greatest Sports Moment: My greatest career moment probably was playing against Tsonga in the Open even though I didn’t put up much of a fight it was an incredible atmosphere and playing in Flushing is so much fun.

Most Painful Moment: That’s tough, I try to forget these as fast as possible [smiles]. But I would have to say losing in the finals of NCAA’s my freshman year was brutal.

Favorite Sport Outside Tennis: Football and eSports.

Closest Tennis Friends: My closest tennis friends are probably Blaz Rola, Austin Krajicek, Tennys Sandgren, and the Harrison family. There are so many others who I enjoy as well.

Funniest Players Encountered: I really don’t view anyone’s games as funny and try to take them all seriously.

Fiercest Competitors Encountered: I’d say Steve Johnson when I played against him in college.

Embarrassing Tennis Memory: Far too many embarrassing moments in my mind [smiles]. But probably whiffing an overhead on court one at home in college is up there.

Funny Tennis Memory: One time I was playing a match and a bird pooped on my arm, made me laugh and it’s supposedly good luck… I did go on to win [smiles].

Why Do You Love Playing Tennis: I love playing tennis because it’s me against another person, it’s all on me. I have always loved to compete my entire life and to be able to play a sport professionally is a dream come true. The history of the sport as well as the people I have looked up to make it really enjoyable and I also love to travel and see new places. It really is one of the coolest jobs you could have.

Favorite Court To Play On:
I must say I have never played on some of the big stages but I was able to practice on Arthur Ashe Stadium at the US Open and I want to play there someday. That is probably my favorite court.

Racquet You Use: Wilson Blade.

Attire and Shoes You Play In: Adidas clothes and shoes.

Favorite Players To Watch:
I love watching Federer. The way he conducts himself and commands the court is bar none. I also enjoy watching Novak play. His movement and competitiveness are something I really admire.

People Qualities Most Admired:
People’s personal qualities I must admire is their own uniqueness. I like people who are comfortable in their own skin and have developed their own identity. I also like people who treat others with respect and don’t think they are better or deserve more. Another quality is the willingness to work hard.

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/chase-buchanan-biofile/

#96 ·
Chase has a few good results in recent weeks:

6/30/14: 29 points in Ecuador
6/03/14: 29 points in Romania
5/19/14: 48 points in Uzbekistan

He's currently in the QF of Canada, so that makes a minimum of 121 points in a space of 8 weeks. Those are the kinds of deep runs you need to make on a regular basis to break into the top 100. He's still moving up the rankings and he's showing the results to prove he can continue his current trajectory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.