Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tribute: Your favourite Pics of Marat!

19K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Lígia 
#1 ·
I thought it would be a nice idea to put all your favourite pictures of Marat in this special threat, like a tribute to his career.
I have always followed his career from beginning till the end with great interest, and I know I am not the only one :) I thought this maybe a nice last thing to do.
Hope you like the idea!
:wavey:

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
With Marat retiring, I'd been hoping to see some rare older pics to surface on the internet, and lo and behold Championat.ru have assembled some here. They're not especially rare but they're large, fairly hi-res and free of Reuters watermarks! Once the pics is in scroll view, click to enlarge.

Here's one of my absolute faves, 18 year old Marat at Roland Garros after beating Guga in the second round. According to this interview, at 6'4" Marat weighed only 178 at the time, which is a rather weedy BMI of 21.7. :eek: Bless him. :awww:

01 December 2002, Davis Cup champions, after Youzhny's win over PHM.

#12 ·
Is it bad that based on the haircut and the outfit, I can tell exactly what year and what tournament all of these pics are from? :help:

Reactions: Daniel25
#14 ·
I'm sorry to be a little self absorbed here but I have to say this is my fav. Not only he is super happy, but he's next to me! and with a new haircut and the palm trees and the sun...now I'm not a big fan of the miami drug dealer look but with that smile, I will happily snort away!

#19 · (Edited)
So, half of what makes the Russian so much fun to follow is that he has all these different personalities. The last collage was all about the "good for tennis, class act, sweet guy" Marat. This one showcases his rock star side. Enjoy!

P.S. MS, if you ever see this, heads up: we know you don't like the magazine-centerfold-celebrity stuff. Forgive us, but we just can't help ourselves. You're hot. Get over it.

#26 ·
I pretty much love every Marat photo ever taken, so, this is a difficult task for me... (as I'm sure for everyone else) But, there are two things (outside of him actually playing tennis, and his face) that really stood out for me about this man -

1. His strut. I couldn't believe the way this man walked around, both while practicing and behind the baseline - he had/has a swagger about him that no other player (or man for that matter) I've seen has. It's so masculine and confident... 2. His service motion. I absolutely am in love with it - the power, the acceleration, the definition of his body when he hits it, the little tummy sticking out of the shirt when he has one on.. I don't know - it drives me nuts.... here are a few pics that represent these two things from my collection of favorites... enjoy! :)

Safin Strut:

Safin Serve:

(thanks for this one justsafin - I'll treasure it always) :inlove:

#29 ·
Maratsmaiden: Yes, yes. "The Strut." Or, swagger. Or, amble. Whatever it's called, it's awesome. It's cocky, even.

The thing is, he doesn't seem cocky *at all* off the court. But on court, he uses it to his advantage. Players like Nadal and Del Potro intimidate their opponents by jumping/hopping/bouncing showing how energetic and ready for battle they are. Marat has enough presence to just stand there and intimidate people. Kind of like Russell Crowe in Gladiator. Other players have commented on it. Did you hear Verdasco in the "goodbye video"? He said, "So, big. So, strong. You have to be careful what you say about him." :)

I can tell you this much. If I showed up for a match and saw this as my opponent, I'd be scared, too!

#32 ·
:O

Cute!!! His smile in the last picture is so meaning!!! I'd like to know what is behind that smile.
The secret behind Marat Safin's enigmatic smile.
Thank you for the pictures. Btw, hello to all. I think it's my first comment, but I read this forum (I really appreciate here)a long time,like 2 years. Haha IDK just now (with retirement) I decided to comment something... It's strange, but I didn't have time and I didn't have an acc, but better late than never!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.