Mens Tennis Forums banner

Football and other sports

14K views 88 replies 7 participants last post by  KiwiChica 
#1 ·
Okay. Since Di and I totally hijacked the Chat Thread with our football talk and started to think that maybe some of you who don't like football will get bored with reading our musings about The Beautiful Game, we decided to start a thread for general sports discussion - for ALL sports outside tennis. So if you love football, icehockey, fencing, Formula 1, cycling, figure skating, curling, skiing races, biathlon and whatever else is out there - feel free to join in here!

Right now, I am following the CL scores on eurosport.yahoo.de and so far, it's looking good, as Liverpool and Barcelona both are leading. Also, Atletico Madrid are kicking some PSV Eindhoven's ass. Which is good. Because I don't like the Lightbulbs. :devil: (I support Ajax Amsterdam in the Dutch league, and they are rivals!) Just Werder Bremen give me a bit of a headache right now, it's 0-0 vs some Cypriot team I have never heard of, Anorthosis Famagusta or something. Go Werder.

#53 · (Edited)
See, I told you he's drop dead gorgeous, and trust me when I say that I almost keeled over when I high-fived him, because he looks even better in the flesh ... ;) His charisma is absolutely amazing!!

Okay, here's some basic info about him:

D.O.B.: June 2nd, 1983
Place of Birth: Lichtenstein (near Chemnitz, Saxonia)
former clubs: SSV St Egidien, Chemnitzer FC, 1. FC Kaiserslautern II
plays for SV Wehen Wiesbaden since: 2006
contract until: 2010
position: forward
shirt number: 13 (used to be 29 when they were still in 3rd division)
height: 1.90m
weight: 93kgs
favourite stadium: Camp Nou, Barcelona
players that should appear on his dream-team: Kaká, Ronaldinho, Messi, Henry, Gerrard and Ballack
favourite movies: Pirates of the Caribbean I-III
favourite food: spaghetti with scampis
something that is never missing in his fridge: cola :D

other tidbits:
- apparently left-footed (there was a little game at the show he was on on Monday evening and the guests had to shoot on target, he said "I'm left-footed" ...)
- scored a hat-trick within seven minutes (I am getting that match, too)
- his neighbour is Marko Kopilas (vice-captain), they sometimes play video games together
- he kisses his boots before a match :rolls: (said so in an interview which was on SVWW's homepage; dunno if he's still doing that, but it cracked me up)
- almost left the theatre while watching "Spiderman 3" (tbh, the first one sucked already)
- has a fanclub somewhere (my guess is in his hometown), I haven't found out anything about them, yet, I just know that he is still in touch with them and that they sometimes come to watch him play if they can make it
- answer to the question what he'd do for a million Euros: "I'd cut the grass of the pitch in our BRITA Arena with scissors. And if I had the million then, I'd support my hometown club, SSV St Egidien, with the money."

... anything else you want to know? ;)

Other than that ... WTF, LIVERPOOL?! :rolleyes:

#54 · (Edited)
Kiwi, vielen dank:hug::hug: Thats so much info:yeah::banana:

Norwich lost again:rolleyes: We were winning 1-0 through Italian striker Artur Lupoli (through good passing), and then we threw away the game when Swansea levelled the scores just before halftime 1-1, 2 minutes of madness at the start of 2nd half we're losing 3-1. A freak own goal gave us some home with 20 minutes to go, but my God the defence is:eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!!!! Final score Norwich 2 Swansea 3. They won because they passed the ball, and defended tighter, we tried to pump the ball in the air,to the smallest forward of ours(Leroy Lita) their players were bigger than ours, why oh why, lads don't you keep the ball on the floor for the whole game??!!!!!! We do have players that can run at defenders and terrorise the opposition a little bit, but we're too:scared:!!!

Hertha won again I see:banana: Happy that Liverpool are still doing really well in the Premier League, Stevie G:worship:

#55 ·
You're very welcome, Di. :hug: All the info I posted was from his player's profile on SVWW's website, various articles and interviews I came across. :)
BTW, I now have him in 70cm x 50cm on my wardrobe, so I can see him whenever I go to sleep. ;) And my friend and I will probably go and stalk him and the rest of the team during a training session not too far into the future. Yay. I hope to get my pic taken with him then, but I usually succeed in such missions. ;)

Hertha ... well, they had me close to another heart attack when HSV went up 1-0 in our homebase, but four minutes of awesome were enough to send them packing. *wipes sweat* Still high-flying (currently, we're fourth), still strong, still awesome. I really hope we can keep that up and won't collapse again ... like we usually do at some point. :rolleyes:

Liverpool :worship: Now all I need for is to Chel$ki to make way up there and I am satisfied. I want the title back where it belongs - at Anfield. :)

#56 · (Edited)
I just knew you'd use that pic of Ronny as your avatar Kiwi;)

I think Hertha will stay strong;)

I would give anything for Norwich to be 4th from top, as it is we're 19th, theres 24 teams in our Division:eek:

#57 ·
Errrr, am I really THAT predictable? :rolls: Nah, seriously, that screencap was too hot not to make use of it. ;)

BTW, I forgot some dates:

I mentioned the teams he was playing for before joining Wehen; here they are together with the years when he was playing for them:
- SSV St Egidien (???-2000)
- Chemnitzer FC (2000-2004)
- 1. FC Kaiserslautern II (2004-2006)

And you know what? I found some pics of him in his SVWT kit from his very first season there (match as well as his mug shot from the team back then). Yay.

Usually, we collapse at one point of the season and fall into a slump. But for some reason, I don't really see that happening this season. :)

Best of luck to Norwich! :)

#58 ·
Yay, GO ME! I found two (small) team photos of Chemnitzer FC from the 2003/2004 season. Hi Ronny! I am such a stalker, really. :rolls:

Speaking of Ronny:

Dear Eintracht Frankfurt,

HANDS OFF RONNY KÖNIG!!!

No love,
Kiwi

Rumour has it once again that Eintracht Frankfurt want him, probably already after the winter break. I don't approve of it one single bit. I hate that club, and I don't want my boy playing for them. :mad: The teams' bosses both denied it, coach Christian Hock said his contact to Ronny was that close that he'd knew if there was any truth to it. The only vague comments came from Ronny's manager. *stomps*

Worst case scenario: Ronny gets booked for the fifth time vs 1860 Munich next week and won't be playing in the match vs Augsburg (so I won't get to see him) and then signs a contract at Eintracht Frankfurt in the next transfer period. Ugh.

#59 ·
Kiwi I want to rep you for the lovely info you found for me about Ronny. It won't let me:mad: As soon as I can rep you I will;) I hope you're feeling better:hug:

Well Norwich won:bounce: Fantastic:banana: Away from home with 10 men on the pitch after 20 minutes of the game, our centre-half 'The Doc' got sent off for a foul deemed serious enough for a straight red card:rolleyes:

Three minutes later we scored, a nice cross from our midfielder David Bell driven in by Matty Pattison, his 1st goal for Norwich:woohoo: Of course then we let them draw level before half-time:rolleyes:

Midway through the 2nd half we got the winner, courtesy of an own goal:lol: I mean our striker Leroy Lita was simply standing alongside a couple of Forest players:lol: The last player to touch the ball was ironically born in Norwich, Chris Cohen. He only lived there for 1st six months of his life:lol:

Pics;)

Attachments

#60 ·
Again - you're very welcome about the Ronny fact-sheet. I enjoyed doing this. :)

I feel a bit better, the antibiotics kicked in, and I don't have those horrible coughing fits anymore. However, as I told you, I was close to a nervous breakdown while following our match in Bochum yesterday. Dear Lord, that was close! Almost blowing a 3-0 lead? Shame on you, Hertha! But we pulled off the victory. Yay. So we're still fourth, one point short of Bayern. :D It's so amazing, no one expected us, "one of the most bland teams in Germany", to be up there, and what do we do? We're on a roll and join the top teams. :worship:

I am following Wehen Wiesbaden's match on livescore right now, and it seems to be a good one. Ronny would've almost scored, but missed the target. Geez! Come on SV WEHEN, win this thing!!

Oh and NICE WORK Norwich! Yay! You must be so happy!! :hug:

#61 ·
I am soooooo happy:D:banana: No-one can wipe the smile off my face today:)

SV Wehen 0-0 I see:) Sounded like an entertaining game for 0-0 draw;) Another point to the total, shame it wasn't three:awww:

#62 ·
SV Wehen Wiesbaden pissed me off yesterday. They should totally have won this one, since Oberhausen were short-handed for the bigger part of the second half, and their goalkeeper had to be subbed as well. But nooooooo ... :rolleyes: Also, Ronnny and Baka missed great chances to put SVWW 2-0 ahead. *sigh*

BTW ... you know what? My boy is made of so much awesome! The other day, I had sent him a letter and told him how much the match vs Kaiserslautern and high-fiving him meant to me and cheered me up. I had also asked for his autograph, and lookie what I got today (including a personal dedication):

Attachments

#63 · (Edited)
Hertha vs Cologne tonight. Let's see if we can ruin Daum's 400th match as Bundesliga coach party? :devil: A victory would put us, "one of the most bland teams in Germany", among the Top 3. Only for a night, probably, since Bayern and Leverkusen battle it out tomorrow, but ... it'd be so freaking awesome! Come on, guys, make it real!

HA HO HE!!

EDIT:

HOLY.SHIT. This is the table of today:

1. (1.) 1899 Hoffenheim 14 10 1 3 37:20 +17 31
2. (4.) Hertha BSC Berlin 15 9 3 3 23:19 +4 30 --> WHAT?! :eek:
3. (2.) Bayer Leverkusen 14 9 1 4 32:17 +15 28
4. (3.) FC Bayern München 14 8 4 2 33:21 +12 28
5. (5.) Hamburger SV 14 8 2 4 22:22 0 26
6. (6.) Borussia Dortmund 14 6 6 2 25:18 +7 24
7. (7.) FC Schalke 04 14 6 5 3 22:13 +9 23
8. (8.) VfL Wolfsburg 14 6 4 4 32:22 +10 22
9. (9.) SV Werder Bremen 14 5 5 4 32:26 +6 20
10. (10.) 1. FC Köln 15 6 1 8 16:22 -6 19
11. (11.) VfB Stuttgart 14 5 3 6 19:21 -2 18
12. (12.) Eintracht Frankfurt 14 4 4 6 19:23 -4 16
13. (13.) Hannover 96 14 3 4 7 15:27 -12 13
14. (14.) Arminia Bielefeld 14 2 6 6 14:23 -9 12
15. (15.) Borussia M'gladbach 14 3 2 9 15:27 -12 11
16. (16.) VfL Bochum 14 1 7 6 17:23 -6 10
17. (17.) Karlsruher SC 14 3 1 10 12:25 -13 10
18. (18.) FC Energie Cottbus 14 2 3 9 8:24 -16 9

I'll laugh my ass off if the Bayern-Leverkusen clash ends in a draw tomorrow. :rolls:

#64 ·
Well. We lost two games in a row, first the one vs Galatasaray (totally disappointing from us!) and then the league match vs Schalke 04 (for f***'s sake!). Last match of the year is vs our friends from Karlsruhe on Saturday.

Wehen Wiesbaden ... well, can I just say CRAP? What a piss poor performance vs Augsburg. Madi got sent off (yay ... not), Captain Sandro Schwarz will be sidelined on Sunday as well as he collected his fifth yellow, and well ... overall, the match was rather boring in the first half.

I have officially decided that I am totally :cuckoo: because I have this test in Wiesbaden next week, and the place where I have to take that test is close to the stadium and to their "office". :devil: So I'll make my way to the stadium when the test is done with and take some pics of the outside. I doubt I can get in, but you never know. And also, I'd like to pay their "office" a visit, because I think I want to go to their first home game of 2009 vs Alemannia Aachen. :devil: I just want to ask when the tickets go on sale. :p I told my mom already that I needed her little camera that day, "because you never know what's going to happen in Wiesbaden that day!" :devil: (I don't think I'll bump into players while lurking around there, but ... ya know?) And I still have to talk to Steffi to make a Stalking Appointment. :devil:

#65 ·
Kiwi:wavey::hug:

I hear Voronin who is on loan to you from Liverpool is very interested in staying with Hertha beyond the season long loan;) What do you think??? Have you heard the same thing your end?

Norwich managed a win over the weekend,we beat Charlton 1-0(Leroy scored again:banana:) There is talk that he may be allowed to leave Reading for as little as £300,000!!(hopes and prays):) We must sign him in January:rocker:

Reactions: «Ivan»
#66 ·
Any of you guys that might read this,I'm not going:mad::crazy:talking to myself. I want to keep this thread going for my football:crazy:dear friend Kiwi;)

Kiwi,if you're reading this,hope you're starting to feel better about things sweetie;):hug:

Well Norwich are still in the FA Cup:banana: We have only managed to get through the 3rd round twice in our last 11 attempts:eek: We drew 1-1 at Charlton(in London) yesterday. The manager played a rare master stroke,putting on our Italian loan striker Lupoli in the 2nd half, and he scored within 7 minutes of being on the pitch:woohoo: A nice passing move finished with a left footed strike:dance:

Liverpool are still in the Cup, winning comfortably 2-0 away at Preston. A great strike from Riera, and Torres:worship: came on as sub and made it 2-0. The draw for 4th round is later on today:scared:

Oh and this should make you smile. Man City 0 Nottingham Forest 3:lol:

In La Liga, Barca won 3-1, goals from Henry, Iniesta and Toure Yaya:rocker: Valencia also won 3-1 against Atletico, a penalty from Villa, and 2 from David Silva(one shot was from 30 yards:worship:)

#67 · (Edited)
YAY FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!! Finally, it was about time. I was a bit on withdrawal here. The good news is that I'll be attending TWO SVWW matches within one month - one this Sunday, the other one on Feburary 27. Yay. :D And I have front row tickets. *muahahaha* :devil:

I have SVWW's DFB Pokal match vs Karlsruher SC on livescore at the moment, and hell yes, my boy scored. Now I hope they can keep that up! It's like 5 mins to go and I am all nervous. But if they win this, it'll be more than amazing - and their best Cup result ever. Yay. Bring it on!

EDIT: THEY WON!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!! Ronny - you are a fricken hero! (So is goalkeeper Alex Walke.)

Now bring on Alemannia Aachen on Sunday. :devil:

#68 ·
Kiwi you're back:bounce: OMG I'm so happy. I was going to post your fixture in here. I hope you're feeling better now:hug:

Yay for Wiesbaden in DFB Pokal:banana: Oooh Ronny:rocker:

Norwich have a new management team:rocker: Bryan Gunn,who played in goal when we famously beat Bayern in UEFA Cup:worship: And we have persuaded another former player,Ian Crook(who also played in the team vs Bayern):worship: to give up his job in Australia to come back:woohoo: John Deehan is also part of the management team,he is also a former player.

The first match Gunny took charge of we thrashed Barnsley 4-0:woohoo: Tuesday night we drew 2-2 with Southampton. Tomorrow we are away at Doncaster,come on you yellows:rocker:

#69 ·
Fangirling tomorrow. :devil: Can't wait, although it is freaking icy outside and I do have a bit of a cold already. Blah. That's what warm underwear and skiing pants are made for, right? ;)

Anyway. I want this:

Hot, no? I've had a crush on that scarf from the first moment I saw it. Which was yesterday. And they said on SVWW's forum that the scarves are available tomorrow at the game already. Yay.

I will also order some stuff from FC St Pauli's store. I've wanted a scarf for quite some time now. Heh. They also have dog leads which have YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE written on them. I was like :rolls: when I discovered that.

And, we - Hertha BSC - play vs Eintracht Frankfurt today. I am all in for some serious ass-kicking! Bring it on!

#70 ·
... and the Hertha Train keeps rolling!!

1 Hoffenheim 18 12 2 4 44 23 21 38
2 Berlin 18 11 3 4 29 21 8 36 --> WHAT?! :eek:
3 Hamburg 18 11 3 4 27 24 3 36
4 Bayern 18 10 5 3 39 25 14 35
5 Leverkusen 18 10 3 5 37 22 15 33
6 Dortmund 18 7 9 2 28 20 8 30
7 Stuttgart 18 8 4 6 28 23 5 28
8 Wolfsburg 18 7 6 5 36 26 10 27
9 Schalke 18 7 6 5 24 17 7 27
10 Bremen 17 7 5 5 39 28 11 26
11 Köln 18 7 2 9 20 26 -6 23
12 Hannover 18 5 5 8 21 32 -11 20
13 Frankfurt 18 5 4 9 24 31 -7 19
14 Bielefeld 17 2 8 7 15 27 -12 14
15 Karlsruhe 17 4 1 12 15 32 -17 13
16 Cottbus 18 3 4 11 12 31 -19 13
17 Bochum 17 1 8 8 19 30 -11 11
18 M'gladbach 18 3 2 13 18 37 -19 11

Okay, the victory vs Frankfurt was a bit on the lucky side, but what matters is that we're SECOND!! :woohoo: I am just so freaking happy right now!

#71 · (Edited)
Oh ... My ... GOD!!!

I cannot really believe what just happened in Berlin today. We had Bayern over for a visit, and usually, we lose to them big style. Last year, we managed a goalless draw when they were in Berlin, but lost 1-4 when we played them in Munich. Our last victory dates back from 2001 ...

And today it happened.

WE BEAT BAYERN 2-1!!! In our homebase. Andriy Voronin scored both goals. He brought us up 1-0 in the first half (39'), Klose scored the equalizer (62'), but it was Voronin again who finished those "Lederhosen" off (77'). Hell yes. :worship:

Due to the fact that Hoffenheim lost 1-4 to Leverkusen yesterday, we are now TOP OF THE TABLE!!!

I am so happy right now, I could cry!

EDIT: Here's the table for the non-believers among you ;)

1. (3.) Hertha BSC Berlin 20 12 4 4 32:23 +9 40 --> HELL YES!!
2. (1.) 1899 Hoffenheim 20 12 3 5 46:28 +18 39
3. (2.) FC Bayern München 20 11 5 4 43:28 +15 38
4. (5.) Bayer Leverkusen 20 11 3 6 43:27 +16 36
5. (4.) Hamburger SV 19 11 3 5 29:27 +2 36
6. (7.) VfL Wolfsburg 20 9 6 5 40:26 +14 33
7. (6.) VfB Stuttgart 20 9 5 6 35:28 +7 32
8. (8.) FC Schalke 04 20 8 6 6 26:19 +7 30
9. (9.) Borussia Dortmund 19 7 9 3 29:23 +6 30
10. (10.) SV Werder Bremen 20 7 6 7 41:32 +9 27
11. (11.) 1. FC Köln 20 7 4 9 22:28 -6 25
12. (13.) Hannover 96 20 5 6 9 25:38 -13 21
13. (12.) Eintracht Frankfurt 20 5 5 10 26:35 -9 20
14. (14.) Arminia Bielefeld 19 3 9 7 18:29 -11 18
15. (17.) VfL Bochum 20 3 8 9 23:33 -10 17
16. (16.) Karlsruher SC 20 5 2 13 18:36 -18 17
17. (15.) FC Energie Cottbus 19 4 4 11 15:32 -17 16
18. (18.) Borussia M'gladbach 20 3 4 13 20:39 -19 13

#72 ·
Kiwi,thats brilliant:banana::woohoo: What a feeling being top of the league:rocker:

I just came back from Preston. Norwich played their backsides off and still lost 1-0:sad: We had loads of chances,you know that feeling when the net is gaping and there is a brilliant last ditch challenge,their keeper had a blinder,he got in the way of everything.

We're 20th,under a new manager,a former player at our club,Bryan Gunn,a total legend. He played in the side that famously beat Bayern in UEFA Cup:worship: Its going to be difficult to avoid relegation,but we're not playing like we are in that position. We are playing good football,just no reward.

#73 ·
Di, remember that I told you I'd once take a pic of me how I look when I make my way to a stadium? Well, I took one today. With the exception of the hood being pulled down that much into my face, this is pretty much it: Hertha jacket, shirt underneath it, scarf round my neck (if it's cold, pulled up to my nose), and at least one scarf on my wrist. :)

Anyway ... Hooligan? ME?? :rolls:

#76 ·
Awesome Kiwi:worship: Thanks for sharing your collection with me:hug: I have quite a few different football shirts,cricket shirts,there's even motorcycling shirts:lol:

It will take me sometime to put them all on camera,and then load them on my laptop,I'll put them on here at some point;)

#77 ·
My pleasure. I just love collecting footie memorabilia, and I feel there's a bit more to be added soon. ;)

I would love to see your collection, too. But please take your time.

#78 ·
I was raiding yahoo's photo gallery to find photos of our glorious day yesterday.

This is a sight I surely love:

And here's the link to the photoalbum I created:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/SkydivingKiwi/HerthaBSC/February142009/

Because THIS day needs to be treasured. :) Also - there's a Bayern fan living in our house. When I met him today, I asked, "Hey, how did Bayern play yesterday?" :devil: And he just replied, "Ah, shut up!!" :rolls:

I just hope for ONE thing - NO bandwagoners at Hertha BSC. That sort of "fans" pisses me off. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.