Mens Tennis Forums banner

The poker thread

15K views 187 replies 41 participants last post by  out_here_grindin 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there some poker addicts on here ?

I admit being one, I play about 30 hours a week (live and online) and make some money with (though I'm far from making a living with).

I am a huge fan of HSP (High Stakes Poker) cash game show on GSN and NBC poker after dark sit and goes too...

My favorite pro players are: Greenstein, Negreanu, Farah, Ivey and Antonius.

I'm looking forward to playing the WSOP main event in Vegas this year :cool:

#132 ·
I hear ya. But still making it to the final table, you had to have some luck but you always had to play some seriously good poker.

"Amateurs don't realize how much skill is involved and pros forget how much luck is involved."

#133 ·
I hear ya. But still making it to the final table, you had to have some luck but you always had to play some seriously good poker.
There have been some main event winners that just couldn't play the game... Take a Moneymaker for instance, pretty sure any random fish/sucker would have done just as well as him running that hot the whole tourney...

"Amateurs don't realize how much skill is involved and pros forget how much luck is involved."
That is a good (and true) quote :)

#135 ·
Saout is actually a journeyman, I think he took on poker only 2 years ago, playing a few hours a week online, just like millions of kids...

As for Ivey, he's definitely amongst the greatest, you can't make that much cash on pure luck... and every fellow pro praise him for a reason...

#138 ·
high stakes poker on gsn is pretty riveting stuff. durrrr....lol, the kids got massive cojones. loved watching ivey humiliate hellmuth.

#140 ·
I started playing in freerolls tournaments recently. For now I haven't won too much but I am trying hard. There are thousands of players in each freeroll tourney, and some of them have far more experience than me. I like playing in Horse tournaments, because I know a little about each poker variation and I think it is a good way to improve my analitical and strategical skills. :)

I also read some famous poker players blogs such as Daniel Negreanu or the legendary Doyle Brunson when I have some spare time. They offer plenty of interesting advice concerning how to play the hands in poker. :cool:

#141 ·
I have been watching the main event episodes. Has anyone else? After seeing members of the november 9 playing I am pulling for Mizrachi and Candio at the final table.

#145 ·
Some of the winners have turned into pretty good players. Like Raymer and Hachem. Moneymaker,Yang and Gold suck though.

Eastgate and Cada have bright futures, although I prefer Eastgate.

It will be interesting to see how the Grinder plays it. He is 7th in chips to start it off. Last year Ivey was way too conservative at the final table and let himself be picked apart.

#143 ·
I haven't followed the WSOP this year for the first time in a while since I stopped playing poker earlier this year. Is it the Grinder at the final table or one of his brothers? The Grinder won a bracelet this year too right? Good world series for him if he has made the ME final table too.

Hansen finally won a bracelet in the heads up event at the WSOPE a few days ago, beating Ivey along the way. Phil Laak won the first event there for his first bracelet and Ivey made a deep run in the ME along with Blom, better known as the guy everyone thinks is Isildur1 lol. Looking forward to the TV coverage.

#147 · (Edited)
The last episode showed the perfect example of the donkey-ness of this main event.

19 players left and Candio raises with 5/7. Cheong looks down upon pocket rockets. He just smooth calls.

Flop: 5/6/6

Cheong bets about 1.5m. Candio raises to 4.3m. Then of course Cheong goes all in because that's all players know how to do these days. And like an sbsolute idiot Candio calls. He had a large stack no need to risk all these chips.

Turn: 8

River: 4. Candio hits the straight and starts yelling like a bafoon. Terrible deicison rewarded by giving him the chip lead.:eek:

#149 ·
I would be joining you guys, but I can't play poker here, well, not with money anyway.. Poker is ILLEGAL in Norway. It sucks, and it's stupid imo. But it's our stupid government trying to prevent a gambling addiction, so they ban it instead. Just like they try to prevent people from becoming alcoholics by demaning earlier closing times at bars, sky high alcohol fees and preventing people from buying alcohol after 8 pm weekdays, after 6 pm saturdays, and not at all on sundays (since all supermarkets are closed). LMAO

And yes, we do have a "nazi government" other illegal things are cigarettes/tobacco adverts, alcohol adverts and political adverts.

#150 ·
Quite an interesting November Nine WSOP main event final table for once... Some young aggressive players to make it interesting. WSOP player of the year Lamb obviously got lucky but you got to love his style, impressive how he could build up his stack without having to go to showdown. Chipleader Heinz is solid so far and his aggressive play gets him good action.

Wishing for a Lamb-Heinz headsup now, with deep enough stacks there should be some good action.

Also, nice coverage by ESPN, that 15 minutes delay with hole cards is really more entertaining for the casual fan, wish they covered more events that way.

#152 ·
Was a tough call from O'Dea with A9off... He was at best 60/40 versus the bottom of Lamb's shoving range (well, or a 70/30 vs an ace rag) and still had enough chips to wait for a better spot imo...

O'Dea had a hard time to recover from the hand vs Heinz (aq<qq) where he lost most of his stack, 2 barrel bluff was thin even against such an aggro guy...

#153 ·
hmmm yeah, he'd probably be pretty 'whatever' about that lamb hand compared with the blow heinz landed seeing how strong he came into the final table... most in the tennis scene here know o'dea reasonably well as he's a better than handy club level player, his team playing in the 6 team premier league a few years back in which lower level pros have a knock in...

#157 ·
The best player won.

Horrible shove by Lamb with KJo on hand 1. Of course he had tons of fold equity, but Staszko was nitty so bad spot imo.

Interesting headsup, few mistakes by both players (apart from the huge mistake by Staszko raise folding his nut flush draw when he had a huge chiplead).

Negreanu tweeted that he spotted tons of tells from both players, will have to rewind some of it to check that.

#159 ·
Hellmuth gets flack for his attitude and arrogance but he really is a great player.

Esfandiari played great in the end though. Glad he won the big one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.