Mens Tennis Forums banner

The poker thread

15K views 187 replies 41 participants last post by  out_here_grindin 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there some poker addicts on here ?

I admit being one, I play about 30 hours a week (live and online) and make some money with (though I'm far from making a living with).

I am a huge fan of HSP (High Stakes Poker) cash game show on GSN and NBC poker after dark sit and goes too...

My favorite pro players are: Greenstein, Negreanu, Farah, Ivey and Antonius.

I'm looking forward to playing the WSOP main event in Vegas this year :cool:

#90 ·
Re: Does anyone else on MTF play poker?

Which site? I play at Pokerstars. :cool:
Hah, I also have Poker Stars, but for some reason I am having trouble starting the program....

It's some e-mail problem I think, so as soon as I fix it, I'll let you know so you can tell me which room you play in.

Gotta warn you, I'm very good (about half the time) :p

#92 ·

Good stuff.

Pokerstars has tournaments and tables going 24/7. I made about 100k in a few days of fake money :lol:

#93 ·

I play it sometimes. I just downloaded the Pokerstars one before. Probably won't play it for another week or so.

#98 ·

The WSOP tourneys that go like once an hour these days are funny. Guys going all in on the first hand with a 6-9 off suit :lol:

#99 ·

I love playing online poker. I love those multitalbe tournamnets. The best I have ever done is 13th out of 3500. I usually play partypoker but sometimes i use bodog or pokerstars.

#101 ·

seesm the extreme fedtard JM power plays this, you may play with him after his ban was lifted :devil:

#102 ·

seesm the extreme fedtard JM power plays this, you may play with him after his ban was lifted :devil:
Hopefully so. If he's half as good as he is in Fantasy Baseball, it should be some good stuff. :cool:

#103 ·

A few years ago I really got into it and played regularly on Spin Palace Poker. Then I started losing money which made me lose patience which in turn made me lose more money. So I got out of it and haven't been back since.

It's so hard to compete nowadays. The standard of poker players online seems to improve every year. With all this TV coverage poker's been getting following the explosion of online activity, everyone knows what they're doing.

I'm much better gambling on my horses (Federer, Nadal etc..). When you really follow tennis closely it can be possible to out-wit the market.

#104 ·

I actually play online poker since 2005, building up a bankroll that allowed me to play 5/10$ (NLHE and PLO mainly), I fucked it all up some months ago (having a shot at bigger stakes) and have now to grind the small stakes again :( life is sick for poker players :sad: :eek:

PS: I play mainly on ps too

#118 ·
True, Laak is annoying and is totally owned by such a lineup... Antonio is a nice guy but indeed talks too much :eek:

Imo, a perfect lineup for HSP would be 6 handed and look like: Patrik, Ivey, Durrr, Zigmund, Benyamine and Sammy for entertaining purpose.

No more Doyle, Daniel, Helmuth, Laak, etc...

#124 ·
Well, Ivey is great, no doubt, but if all it took was winning most bracelets to claim who's GOAT, then I guess Hellmuth woud be it :eek:

Ivey played and still plays a shitload of WSOP events every year, that surely increases the odds to win some bracelets... Most of the internet young guns don't bother with tournaments, still crush those " WSOP legends" any time they sit at the same nosebleed table...

What's impressive with Ivey is that he manages to be great at both, cash games and tournaments, even though he's not the best at either. And he owns at most games (very useful when you sit at juicy Bobby's room where they play mixed games).

#125 ·
by no means do i define Iveys greatness by winning bracelets, that GOAT statement is beyond the WSOP,actually i dont rate the WSOP too much, Ivey wouldnt even be motivated enough to play the entire WSOP without his sidebet action

I agree about his versatility, he can do it all, kill in cash games and win every tournament of every form out there

the thing that impresses me the most about him, that over a time he gets a read on every player out there, and once that happens there is no stopping him...

#126 ·
:( PA getting owned by Durrr lately on their HU4rolls challenge :( he was up 4M$ in April and now he's short of 500k$... This Durrr is such an animal :eek:

Oh, and good for poker that Ivey made the WSOP ME final table, even though he's short stack and has close to no chance to win it, it will be good for the poker image anyway.

#127 ·
Alright the November Nine play the final table tommorrow. It will come on TV Tuesday so I will remain spoiler free until then.

Here the table with chip counts:
1. Darvin Moon 59,770,000
2. Eric Buchman 36,300,000
3. Steven Begleiter 28,195,000
4. Jeff Shulman 20,510,000
5. Joseph Cada 13,620,000
6. Kevin Schaffel 13,080,000
7. Antoine Saout 10,200,000
8. Phil Ivey 10,100,000
9. James Akenhead 5,760,000

Can superstar Phil Ivey take this? Can Darvin Moon take a hold of the table with the big stack or will he pull a Philip Hilm of 2007 and go from chip leader to 1st out the door? Can established pro Jeff Shulman win it?

#128 ·
I am very disapointed with the winner Joe Cada. ESPN's coverage was good and they showed a lot of good hands. But once Ivey went out in 7th the whole broadcast turned into all in wars. Cada got lucky so many times. He should have went out in 6th after pushing with 3s against Shulman's Jacks. Cada was probably one of the worst players at that table and yet he walks away with the title.

This goes to show why a pro will not win anytime soon unless they change their approach. Both Ivey and Shulman played extremely conservative and they waited too long. Like Cunningham in 2006. The pros know they are the best at the table but they pride themselves too much on that and they do not play aggressively like the others do.

In 2004: Fossilman impressed with his domination of the table
In 2005: Hachem bided his time and went from the bottom to top impressively
In 2006: Gold produced probably the most impressive performance. His chip stack just continued to swell and he never had a misstep at the final table.
In 2007: Yang started 2nd to last on chips and got chips early. Then grabbed the table by the straps and dominated with aggresive play. Plus he completely owned Hilm who went into the table as the chip leader.
In 2008: Eastgate played tight for a long time and waited till the table was down to 5 to start making his move.

In 2009: Cada was not anywhere near the best. He made a lot of bad decisions and got lucky.

Ivey and Shulman were the best at the table, but they played to tightly to win. The player who played the best at this year's table was Sauot. Sauot played very well, making good reads after staring from the bottom. He also bluffed Ivey off of a hand in there. He got a sucker punch from Cada when 3 were left that ultimately was his crippling blow. Darvin Moon also played pretty poorly. Making way too many pre flop pushes. Steve Begleiter deserves and honorable mention as well, he played well too.

But I guess this is qhat TV does. The amount of hands shown was very few compared to the very many played. From what they showed me Cada should not have won.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.