Mens Tennis Forums banner

Need help with choosing a school! HELP!

2K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  tripwires 
#1 ·
Hey guys I appreciate it if you could give your opinions and thought on this. So there is 2 schools available for me. One that is far from my house and one which is near to my house. I get accepted to the further school but I can appeal to the other one until tomorrow. They both offer the same course (nursing) but I'm in a dilemma right now to which one to choose.

First school - Further school (Traveling time is about 1 and 1/2 hour - 2 hours):
Disadvantage - Newer course (opened in 2005 so less experience)
Advantages - More and new facilities/buildings, offers a lot more activities/sports and overall a more bigger school.

Second school - Nearer school (Traveling time about 20-30 minutes) :
Advantage - Older course (opened in 1992, so more experience and more prestigious). A lot of students went there.
Disadvantages - Rundown school, very little activities/sports and also facilities and overall a smaller school.

The first school is one of the top schools in my country overall but the second school is more famous for it's nursing. So which one?!?! :sobbing:

My mum keep insisting for me to choose the nearer school so that it's more convenient for me. I have until tomorrow to decide. :sobbing:

See less See more
#3 ·
You should convince your mother of the advantages of the first school. :shrug: Which parent wouldn't want their child to go to the best school in the country? I mean, your mother is right that commuting not just be very annoying but can also get tiring after a while. But if you are willing to follow through with it, it shouldn't be a problem, I think. In the end it will be you who has to travel up 2 hours each day. If telling that to your mother doesn't convince her, you should tell her that once you start working somewhere, you most likely won't be able to choose the work place closest to your home either.
In the end, it is you who has to be happy with your decision.

#4 ·
Nikki♥;11705503 said:
You should convince your mother of the advantages of the first school. :shrug: Which parent wouldn't want their child to go to the best school in the country? I mean, your mother is right that commuting not just be very annoying but can also get tiring after a while. But if you are willing to follow through with it, it shouldn't be a problem, I think. In the end it will be you who has to travel up 2 hours each day. If telling that to your mother doesn't convince her, you should tell her that once you start working somewhere, you most likely won't be able to choose the work place closest to your home either.
In the end, it is you who has to be happy with your decision.
I have to add that the second school offers better job opportunities but the first school offers tennis. The reason why the first school is the top school in Singapore is because of their engineering courses.

#5 ·
Then you should go with the one which offers the better job opportunities because it also has the advantage of you not having to get up so early in the morning for class. As for tennis, you could play it elsewhere than in school in your freetime too.

#6 ·
I travelled from bukit batok to Ang Mo Kio and back for four years in secondary school which took at least 1.5 hours by bus/train/bus and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Travelling like this every day is super tiring espcially considering the horrendous weather of this country. It seems like second school is more logical - shorter travelling time + better job opportunities. Sucks that there's no tennis but you can play elsewhere like Nikki said. :)

#7 ·
Which school do you go to at Ang Mo Kio if don't mind me asking? I live there :lol: That's why Nanyang is so much nearer to me than Clementi. But if I go to Ngee Ann there is one straight bus and back so don't need to change bus or anything. It's just that the travel time is far.

#8 ·
I went to St Nicks. I had to take a bus to AMK station, then take train to Bt Batok, then take a bus from Bt Batok to my house. It was torture. :eek: Having a direct bus is not so bad but if your classes are going to end late then it's probably better to go somewhere nearer.

Eh I think I went Nanyang Poly to play tennis once. It's at YCK station right?

#10 ·
Cos I went to St Nicks primary and wanted to follow my friends to St Nicks sec. :eek: My mom went there also and she wanted me to go. Horrible idea. :eek:

Oh there's no tennis CCA. That's awful. :( But I think your job prospects are more important so I would really pick the school that will give me better prospects when i graduate.

#20 ·
Definitely nearer. Choice should be based SOLELY on the education provided.

Facilities, buildings, sports, travelling all very little importance in the long term.

Reading your posts, the nearer school has
Better education,
Less travelling
Pleases your Mum.

No contest.

#23 ·
Nikki♥;11705724 said:
You are from Singapore, right?

There are actually gansters there? I never never seen a safer and cleaner place. :eek:
Nikki♥;11705724 said:
You are from Singapore, right?

There are actually gansters there? I never never seen a safer and cleaner place. :eek:
Yeah :sobbing:

TONS. Safer as in no natural disaster and crimes = yes. Safer as in people hurting other people feeling = NO! :sobbing:

By the way, looks can be deceiving.

#30 ·
Commuting time doesn't necessarily have to be wasted time, especially if you're using public transport. I don't think I would have read all the novels I've read in the past two years if I worked right next to my house.

#31 ·
the closer one, unless the traveling time is well usable for homework and you are a person that can nd will use it that way.
Losing 3-4 hours daily without being productive can be the difference between success and failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.