Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rogers Cup

20K views 163 replies 26 participants last post by  Minn 
#1 ·
Seeing how the Rogers Cup coming up next week, I figure I dedicate a thread to the tournament itself and we can use this thread for next year. So why not make an official thread for Rogers Cup related stuff. This way, we can talk about the event itself and the Canadian players instead of going through seperate thread regarding each Canadian players.

Anyways, Tennis Canada announced the wildcards for main draw and qualifiers.

For main draw, the wildcards go to,
-Vasek Pospisil
-Peter Polansky
-Frank Dancevic

For qualifers, the wildcards go to,
-Erik Chvojka
-Pierre Ludovic Duclos
-Filip Peliwo
-Steven Diez

Interesting note, Erik Chvojka's rank was good enough to get in directly into qualifiers but chose to take a qualifing wildcard. Had Erik chose to get in qualifiers off his rank, the other wildcard could've went to Phillip Bester.

In other news, Rafael Nadal, Fernando Verdasco, Gael Monfils and David Ferrer pulled out of Rogers Cup. Maybe there will be more withdrawals to come.

See less See more
#2 ·
Seeing how the Rogers Cup coming up next week, I figure I dedicate a thread to the tournament itself and we can use this thread for next year. So why not make an official thread for Rogers Cup related stuff. This way, we can talk about the event itself and the Canadian players instead of going through seperate thread regarding each Canadian players.

Anyways, Tennis Canada announced the wildcards for main draw and qualifiers.

For main draw, the wildcards go to,
-Vasek Pospisil
-Peter Polansky
-Frank Dancevic

For qualifers, the wildcards go to,
-Erik Chvojka
-Pierre Ludovic Duclos
-Filip Peliwo
-Steven Diez

Interesting note, Erik Chvojka's rank was good enough to get in directly into qualifiers but chose to take a qualifing wildcard. Had Erik chose to get in qualifiers off his rank, the other wildcard could've went to Phillip Bester.

In other news, Rafael Nadal, Fernando Verdasco, Gael Monfils and David Ferrer pulled out of Rogers Cup. Maybe there will be more withdrawals to come.
Based on what, because that certainly does not seem to be the case here.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206408

#6 ·
Even tho he received he received a wild card, they still asked him to sign in as a alternate in case he gets in on his own ranking so they can give the wild card to somebody else

#7 ·
draw is out

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/421/op.pdf

4 WC went to Filip, PLD, Pokrajac, and Krainek. Erik gets in as an ALT.

Best chance at a win is probably PLD. I don't see much chance for Krainek to get much more than a couple games, same probably goes for Pokrajac but you never know. Filip and Erik might get a set if they play really well. Would be in tough to win the match though.

Grandstand:

Pokrajac v. Zopp
Filip v. Dodig
Erik v. Ebden
PLD v. Cipolla

Krainek up first on court 1 against The Fog.

I will be there to watch, can't wait:)

#15 ·
It was a decent day at qualies. Arrived halfway through Pokrajac/Zopp, Zopp totally outplayed Milan, wasn't much he could do.

Then it was Filip/Dodig, Filip started well getting up 2-0, but only won 1 more game that set, broke back after getting down a break in set 2 but was broken back after that. He played pretty well, Dodig's serve wasn't on to start, he made a few DF, but in the 2nd set his serve was on fire, Filip wasn't getting any calls, especially on 1 baseline where it looked like the line judge was asleep or something, she never made any calls, they replaced her towards the end of the match. That seemed to frustrate Filip, but all in all I say he played well.

Then was Ebden/Erik, Ebden makes this really annoying puffing noise everytime he serves, kinda got on my nerves. Erik played pretty well, nothing spectacular, it was a back and forth match, not many breaks, Ebden got up a break in the final set and took it home.

Then PLD/Cipolla, and as always PLD loses in 3 sets. There were tons of breaks early in the match, nobody could seem to hold serve. PLD was coming to the net a lot. You can tell that he likes to volley, doesn't win a whole lot of rallies. The 3rd set was pretty close even though it was 6-1, he got down 4-0 but all the games went to deuce, he just could manage to close them.

When that was over I went over to Stakhovsky/Capdeville, it was 2 all in the 3rd, both played pretty well, there were some good rallies, not a lot of errors. Youzhny showed up to cheer on Stakhovsky, standing about 1 foot from me. The 3rd set was close, Stakhovsky just made some great shots in the TB to win it. Capdeville then yelled at himself in a language I don't understand as he walked behind us all the way to the locker room. Normally the players get carted back, I guess he was too pissed on and left on foot.

I also caught a bit of Dimitrov/Chiudinelli, and Mathieu/Russell but not enough to know much about anything.

I got Filip's autograph on the only thing I had a hockey hat lol, and as we were leaving to go home I saw him by the stadium so I got a picture too. I might post a little bit later if I can figure out how lol.

All in all it was a good day, I wish some Canadians would have won but I guess the losses were pretty expected. It was way to hot, made it really unconfortable, but that's ok. Not sure if I'm going tomorrow or not, but I'll be there Monday-Thursday:)

#17 ·
Main draw is out,
Polansky plays a qualifier
Dancevic plays Kukushkin
Pospisil plays Seppi
Raonic gets a bye.

Polansnky has 50/50 chance to beat the qualifer
Dancevic has 55/45 chance to beat Kukushkin
Pospisil has a 40/60 chance to beat Seppi

#20 ·
i just dont have a ton of confidence in peter beating anyone anymore. As soon as he comes up against someone good enough he loses and i cant remember the last time he's beaten someone ranked higher than him. I think unless he gets one of the weakest qualifiers he'll lose

frank should beat kukushkin quite easily

i dont think vasek is getting by seppi. I rate his chances about the same as what you gave him

#19 ·
I was also there on Saturday and watched some of those matches with 156 and keech (another Canadian MTF member) :dance:
Here's a pic of PLD:

PLD's legs are too thin :help:

#21 ·
Think for the draw overall, given that there's just been this Olympics, a bigger deal than in years past, a lot of the top players won't be into it mentally. Guessing at a Isner / Nishikori final (a couple of guys used to heat and humidity, for one, and who have form enough to get to the Olympic quarters but are a bit fresher for not playing rounds past that). Won't be that surprised if Raonic takes out Murray too, though Andy could possibly not have a let down and instead ride his momentum (my guess is he won't though). This year, guys will only start to gear up at Cincy / play into the Open in the first couple rounds there.

#28 ·
Kinda second guessing now picking Nishikori over Djokovic, Del Potro, and Tsonga (not to mention Tipsarevic and Cilic). Do think that Djokovic could not be that there mentally, but then again he could - going with Tsonga now to get out of the section (yet another guy who could or could not be fully into playing this tourney).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.