Challenge: Predict the Top 8 of 2013 [final standings]

9K views 108 replies 72 participants last post by  nellis_lv 
#1 · (Edited)
.​
:cool: Predict the Top 8 of 2013

Final Standings

Congrats, Marto :yeah:
Code:
Nobody predicted Wawrinka, so nobody finished on 8/8, though many participants on 7/8: 

1. [B][I]Marto[/I]              8 2[/B]  1.Nadal 2.Djokovic 3.Murray 4.Ferrer 5.Federer 6.DelPotro 7.Tsonga 8.Berdych
  2. [B][I]ciprianned[/I]        10 2[/B]  1.Nadal 2.Djokovic 3.Federer 4.Murray 5.Ferrer 6.DelPotro 7.Tsonga 8.Berdych
  3. [B][I]Alex999[/I]           10 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Nadal 3.Murray 4.Federer 5.DelPotro 6.Ferrer 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
  3. [B][I]Abel[/I]              10 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Nadal 3.Murray 4.Federer 5.DelPotro 6.Ferrer 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
  3. [B][I]Matthew2408[/I]       10 0[/B]  1.Murray 2.Djokovic 3.Ferrer 4.Nadal 5.Federer 6.DelPotro 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
  6. [B][I]bizzle[/I]            12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Nadal 3.Murray 4.DelPotro 5.Federer 6.Ferrer 7.Tsonga 8.Berdych
  6. [B][I]nole_no1[/I]          12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Nadal 3.Murray 4.Federer 5.DelPotro 6.Ferrer 7.Tsonga 8.Berdych
  6. [B][I]nazzac[/I]            12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Nadal 3.Murray 4.Federer 5.DelPotro 6.Berdych 7.Ferrer 8.Tsonga
  6. [B][I]GSMnadal[/I]          12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Nadal 3.Federer 4.Murray 5.Ferrer 6.Berdych 7.DelPotro 8.Tsonga
  6. [B][I]Kowchi[/I]            12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Murray 3.Nadal 4.Federer 5.Ferrer 6.DelPotro 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
  6. [B][I]duong[/I]             12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Murray 3.Nadal 4.Federer 5.DelPotro 6.Ferrer 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
  6. [B][I]Featherer[/I]         12 0[/B]  1.Djokovic 2.Murray 3.Nadal 4.Federer 5.DelPotro 6.Ferrer 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
  6. [B][I]Federer in 2[/I]      12 0[/B]  1.Federer 2.Djokovic 3.Nadal 4.Murray 5.Ferrer 6.DelPotro 7.Berdych 8.Tsonga
 ->[URL="http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12639154&postcount=96"][B]full list of entries[/B][/URL] 

[B]ATP YearEnd Rankings:[/B]        1.Nadal 2.Djokovic 3.Ferrer 4.Murray 5.DelPotro 6.Federer 7.Berdych 8.[B]Wawrinka[/B] 
                               9.Gasquet 10.Tsonga 11.Raonic 

[I]*side note: I excluded the following double accounts from the game (and also from the stats): 
    [B]Cheyen, RafaelNadalisGod, Noserer[/B][/I]

Stats
Code:
The Tennis players picked by 56 of the 57 entrants are sorted by their ATP rankings (season end 2012) 
to better illustrate the expected changes. 
(I excluded the picks of one entrant, that was obviously trolling, from the stats, but not from the game.) 
The first number after the players' names shows how often they were picked. 
The second number results from the predicted rankings, if 8 points for 1st ranks, ..., 1 for 8th. 

1. [B]Djokovic[/B]   56   431 
  2. [B]Federer[/B]    56   310 
  3. [B]Murray[/B]     56   364 
  4. [B]Nadal[/B]      56   324 
  5. [B]Ferrer[/B]     47   132 
  6. [B]Berdych[/B]    49   119 
  7. [B]DelPotro[/B]   54   224 
  8. [B]Tsonga[/B]     39    65 
  9. [B]Tipsarevic[/B]  1     1  by [B][I]coolfish1103[/I][/B] 
 10. [B]Gasquet[/B]     2     2  by [B][I]Slasher1985[/I][/B] and [B][I]Pratik[/I][/B] 
(11. [B]Almagro[/B]     0) 
(12. [B]Monaco[/B]      0) 
 13. [B]Raonic[/B]     18    33! 
 14. [B]Isner[/B]       1     1  by [B][I]latso[/I][/B] 
 15. [B]Cilic[/B]       3     4  by [B][I]AncicCilic[/I][/B] and [B][I]Legendary Lopata[/I][/B] and [B][I]GrimbleGromble[/I][/B] 
(17. [B]Wawrinka[/B]    0!) 
 19. [B]Nishikori[/B]   5     6 
 24. [B]Verdasco[/B]    1     2  by [B][I]Dr. Albans[/I][/B] 
 26. [B]Janowicz[/B]    3     5  by [B][I]nellis_lv[/I][/B] and [B][I]BauerAlmeida[/I][/B] and [B][I]Brick Top[/I][/B] 
 48. [B]Dimitrov[/B]    1     1  by [B][I]iniesta896[/I][/B]
Code:
So the Top 8 of 2013 as expected by the average of the entrants are: 

1. [B]Djokovic[/B]       0 
  2. [B]Murray[/B]        +1 
  3. [B]Nadal[/B]         +1 
  4. [B]Federer[/B]       -2 
  5. [B]DelPotro[/B]      +2 
  6. [B]Ferrer[/B]        -1 
  7. [B]Berdych[/B]       -1 
  8. [B]Tsonga[/B]         0 

And in fact two entrants chose precisely the above version: [B][I]duong[/I][/B] and myself.

The Challenge was...
Code:
[B]Predict the Tennis players that will make the Top 8[/B] (Entry list) [B]at the end of the 2013 season[/B] 
(after the DavisCup finals)[B] - and their rankings! 

Basically the winner is who predicts most Top 8 players correctly (so as possible all 8). 
The predicted rankings will be used for tiebreaks. 

1st tiebreak[/B]: (for entrants on the same number of correct picks) 
[B]Every single deviation from the real rankings leads to one penalty point[/B] 
(for every player/pick simply accumulated). 
For example, if I guess that Federer finishes 1st and Nadal 3rd, but in reality it turns out to be reversely, 
then I receive 2 penalty points for each of them, so altogether 4. 
[B]2nd tiebreak[/B]: (for entrants still tied after the 1st tiebreak) 
[B]Correctly predicted rankings in uninterrupted sequence, starting with the correct N°1.[/B] 
For example, if I pick "1.Djokovic 2.Federer 3.Murray", but in reality the order becomes "1.Djokovic 2.Murray 
3.Federer", then another entrant who picked "1.Djokovic 2.Murray" wins the tiebreak over me. 
[B]Entry deadline is the start of the AbuDhabi tournament on 27th December 2012.[/B] 
Before then you can also alter your picks / edit your posts if you like.
->2012 Top8Challenge: _ 1) !VamosRafa! & Looner 3) mark73http://www.menstennisforums.com/member.php?u=43989
.​

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Challenge: Predict the Top 8 of 2013 !

I will not be original, I thought about putting Cilic in Tsonga's place but honestly except injury (and there's quite a big probability that one of these gets one ;)) I think the current top-8 players can do it again next year :

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Federer
5. Del Potro
6. Ferrer
7. Berdych
8. Tsonga

usually in the past, the year of the 32nd birthday has been hard for old top-players then I'm worried for Fed, also because the guys behind him look very competitive, but I really hope he can stay in the top-4, that's my main hope :)

#8 ·

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Del Potro
5. Nadal
6. Ferrer
7. Berdych
8. Tsonga

#11 ·

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Nadal
5. Del Potro
6. Tsonga
7. Ferrer
8. Raonic

#13 ·

1. Nadal
2. Djokovic
3. Murray
4. Federer
5. Del Potro
6. Tsonga
7. Berdych
8. Ferrer

#15 ·

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Federer
5. Del Potro
6. Tsonga
7. Ferrer
8. Berdych

#18 ·

1 Djokovic
2 Murray
3 Federer
4 Nadal
5 Berdych
6 del Potro
7 Ferrer (I hope higher, but feel he's overdue for injury)
8 Raonic

Tsonga seems to be sliding away from the pack, Gasquet won't string enough together, Tipsarevic has been horrible last few months, Almagro has a shot but needs good draws on clay

#21 ·

1 Djokovic
2 Murray
3 Federer
4 Nadal
5 Berdych
6 del Potro

7 Ferrer (I hope higher, but feel he's overdue for injury)
8 Raonic

Tsonga seems to be sliding away from the pack, Gasquet won't string enough together, Tipsarevic has been horrible last few months, Almagro has a shot but needs good draws on clay
I know you dislike DelPotro, but there are only 200pts between them and with Thomas going down and DelPo going up, in next few months JMDP will overtake him and reach the #5 no doubts.

#22 ·

1-Djokovic
2-Nadal
3-Murray
4-Federer
5-Del Potro
6-Nishikori
7-Berdych
8-Tsonga

#28 ·

What makes so many people think Nadal does so well? He's gonna be kinda rusty given he didn't play for 6 months....
I think most people are expecting him to be back to his best, or near it, by the time the clay season gets going, and to win a lot there. If that happens, he's surely got a big chance at Wimbledon...

But yeah, what is a big unknown is how long his body will hold up this time around...

#29 ·

Djoko
Murray
Nadal
Federer
Ferrer
Del Po
Berdych
Tsonga.

I have a feeling Murray may finally make it to the #1 spot this year if he can pull off some Masters 1000's. Also if he can get farther then Nole at RG, lost to him AO final, Win wimbeldon, get to final of US Open; I feel he has a chance to take out Nole, but it will be a struggle.

#31 ·

Djoko
Murray
Nadal
Federer
Ferrer
Del Po
Berdych
Tsonga.

I have a feeling Murray may finally make it to the #1 spot this year if he can pull off some Masters 1000's. Also if he can get farther then Nole at RG, lost to him AO final, Win wimbeldon, get to final of US Open; I feel he has a chance to take out Nole, but it will be a struggle.
Murray is 5000 points behind Nole. He is not as consistent as Djokovic. Some miracle would need to happen for Murray to become #1, don't think it's gonna happen, 0.00001%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.