Mens Tennis Forums banner

Murray's constant swearing on court

13K views 153 replies 87 participants last post by  bari1991 
#1 ·
Just wondering is anybody bothered by this?

I can never get myself to really warm up to Andy Murray due to his constant on court swearing, it's not pleasant at all to watch.

I guess there are no ATP rules that forbids this?

#83 ·
I think Murray's behavior is the most juvenile, because it's not as if he gets mad once in a while and starts swearing (that would be understandable). It's more like he mumbles "fuck" or something like that after every single lost point - even though often times he has no reason to be mad at himself, the other guy just played the point better. It's unnecessary and it shouldn't be hard for him to stop doing it if he tried. But he doesn't seem to care that he is a role model.

#84 ·
I think the tennis association could care less or they would tell the cameramen to stay out of the players face right after they lose a point, they could easily pan back but they get right up in their face knowing some of them will start swearing in english or their native language. If they cared they would easily take the camera off them when they start swearing or breaking rackets but they do not, they just stay on them and then the boring announcers start talking about it and mention it over and over again, it's all part of the game.

#85 ·
He should get a one month ban for "discriminatory remarks" a lĂ  MTF.

#86 ·
Discriminatory remarks towards himself? :lol:

Also Orka_n, Murray is not the most juvenile. No way near.

#90 ·
That is one of the most annoying things about Andy Murray, he swears and gets frustrated when an opponent hits an ace or a winner that no man on earth can return/get to. Sometimes, champions have to nod their head and just say "too good."
This is why Murray will have a hard time getting to no.1 and winning multiple slams. He spends way too much emotional/mental energy on court over things he has no control over (like opponent hitting an ace or a great winner).

Federer usually just remains silent. Rafa will sometimes nod in approval. Nole applauds great shots. Murray has a lot to learn from those 3 players if he ever wants to be like them.

#94 ·
perhaps true, but still mega annoying.

#95 ·
I think it adds a nice variety to the tour :shrug: don't want everyone having same on-court behavior, that is boring..

#96 ·
Doesn't really concern me for the most part. Nothing wrong with letting off a little steam, if he's the expressive type on court, which he happen's to be. Rather that, than him spontaneously combusting on-court because he's been keeping his frustrations pent up inside.

What does bother me is that is gives his opponent at the other side of the net encouragement because he can gauge how frustrated Murray is at any given moment, helping him win the psychological battle. For most players, his talent alone would be enough to see him over the finishing line, but against the top 10, little things like that can make a big difference.

#100 · (Edited)
I'm glad novak stopped most emotional outbursts on court during play. I used to hate it.

Murry def. swears more than any other player. He claims he is trying to stop it.

#101 ·
the swearing is pretty bad, obviously everyone swears now and then, but Murray is crazy about it. have never seen anyone swear so much from match to match, I mean rarely does a match go by where he does swear spasm.
maybe Safin did a lot before? Murray is pretty bad. if he was just angry it'd be one thing but the on/off whine/swear it's just ughhhhhh

#102 ·
When he gets the urge to cuss, he should put his hand over his mouth similar to when doubles partners are talking strategy. Problem solved.

#105 ·
Swearing is against the rules btw. That it's not enforced for Mugray is just more top player bias.

Anyway, it's a disgrace. As already mentioned, he does it when the opponent is the better player. Often against Federer you see Fed pull off a great shot and the whole stadium is cheering except for Mugray who is making a face and cursing. He has no respect for his opponents or the game, and as Andy Roddick would say he's not good enough to be that arrogant. In a just world, the rules would be enforced and he would lose every match in 2 games max after a warning (code violation), point penalty (verbal abuse after the warning), game penalty (gamesmanship), match penalty (all of the above), fine and ban from ATP (lack of effort).

#111 ·
Also...Murray's swearing is usually self-directed and that doesn't bother me; it'd be nice if he didn't but that's not a problem. When he feigns injury or grabs at a muscle and then runs like a gazelle that bugs me.

Swearing that is directed at another player shouldn't happen (Federer at Murray). I consider Roger to be a really classy player so I was surprised to see that; hopefully we don't see it again in the future.

#118 ·
It adds to his appeal, no doubt. It's his personality and I enjoy watching players with personality, not robots.

#120 ·
I fully agree with MIMIC, he described Murray's attitude prefectly. Murray's swearing is unlike the usual swearing, it really is annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.