Mens Tennis Forums banner

News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

812K views 5K replies 207 participants last post by  flender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3,843 · (Edited)
Thanks for the interview.

I don't think anyone minds looking at him shirtless :lol:
Though, I don't like his aspirations to politics. I keep recalling the phrase from a russian comedy "Политика дело грязное" (Politics is a dirty business) :tape:

#3,846 ·
Naaah girls, if that's what he wants to do. :shrug: Not all the politicians are dirty. :eek: I wish him all the best. :hug:

And who knows, maybe he'll still decide for tennis (business) management instead of politics. :shrug: I just hope the Sochi 2014 games will go well. :D

#3,849 ·
ольга целеброва: Вы удалили свою страницу в "Одноклассниках" потому, что отчаялись найти невесту по интернету, или на то была другая причина?

сафин: Все гораздо прозаичнее: в один момент стало скучно. Возможно, это случилось после Тибета. Я тогда по-новому взглянул на жизнь и понял, что на 90 процентов она состоит из ненужной суеты. Представляете, как бы изменился мир, если бы люди смогли всю свою энергию направлять в нужное русло!
I get it as he got bored and deleted his account on odnoklassniki. Basically, my interpretation is that the time and energy he has spent on this site, he would like to use for more meaningful things. Hence, it'd be good if all people leave the vanity and channel their energy in the right ways (e.g. meaningful things and not time-killers).

#3,861 ·
Brief article in sport-express.ru about Marat's visit to RG 2010.

http://english.sport-express.ru/summary/1_5205/

SAFIN TO PROMOTE TENNIS TOURNAMENTS IN RUSSIA

Marat Safin has just returned back to Moscow from Paris where he visited the French Open for the first time in role of spectator and talked about the purpose of his visit in an interview to Sport Express.

"I’ve been there for four days in order to meet bosses of the world tennis, including ATP World Tour president Adam Helfant and discuss possibility of holding several new tennis tournaments in Russia", Safin explained.

"I talked to them about development of tennis in our country in general, and I tried to make them understand my point of view and help us. I am satisfied with results of our talks, and now everything will depend on the Russian side".

"Firstly we discussed those competitions, which already exist in Russia – Kremlin Cup and St. Petersburg Open. Secondly, as I’ve said before, we plan to organize new tournaments in Kazan and Sochi. We have an agreement with ATP, so now we are to solve financial issue for organization of these competitions. If everything goes according to our plan, new tournaments could appear in Russia in 2012, both for men and women".

"We will be able to talk about progress only when we organize our existing competitions well. Earlier Moscow and Saint Petersburg tournaments were prestigious, but situation has changed and mainly because they are not of necessary level".

"In other countries, for example in Madrid or Monte Carlo, tennis competitions are real fests for these cities. Of course it’s early to compare us with them, but maybe we will feel differently in several years and will be prod of our work. Nobody says that it’s very easy, but it’s possible and we just need new ideas".

"I don’t want to unveil details of our agreement. We know concrete dates of new Russian competitions in ATP World Tour schedule, and we need to adjust to them".

"We shouldn’t demand our rights and say which week of the schedule is the best one for us, as it’s necessary to cooperate with ATP. Our positions are not so strong as we would like them to be, and only hard work can help us change something".

#3,862 · (Edited by Moderator)
Speaking about news, unfortunately we won't have Marat for Guga's exo, instead we will have Kafenilkov, should be fun! :D
Maybe in the future Marat can come,
:lol: Can't stop laughing on this!!

This post has been deleted
#3,873 · (Edited)
ENOUGH WITH THE OFF TOPIC!

I'm going to write this here instead of sending out another 29381083 PMs because I want everyone to see this.

Firstly, enough with the baiting please (all that about the monastery). I know you girls are just having a bit of fun but in this context, it looks a lot like baiting to me. I don't want to infract the entire group of you.

mahRAHT. and to anyone else who was thinking about it if you exist out there ;) The reported post button is NOT A PM and it is not a "trigger happy" tool for you to try and get a mod's attention when you feel that people are talking about you or ignoring you. It's for use to report discriminatory posts, personal attacks, harassment etc. I have received a total of 9 reported posts from you in the last 24h and I'm not a happy camper. I'm even surprised gmail hasn't sent all the reported posts to my spam folder. Yes, there are about 5 other mods/admins who also receive emails when a post is reported. They have enough problems of their own seeing to the entire forum's reported posts etc, so the only person who will notice your reports is ME! This is something Carlita already told you.

Also, I have already told the other posters (privately) and also mahRAHT (privately too, and Carlita also has, and little_masha just did as well). THERE'S AN IGNORE FUNCTION! It would make things a lot easier on EVERYONE if you just ignored what people are saying that you don't agree with and they'll leave you alone! If you need help finding the list: http://www.menstennisforums.com/profile.php?do=editlist here's the link. I have 6 people on it. I suggest you start building your own list.

mahRAHT, Saumon mentioned "passive aggressive" and you asked what that meant. That's EXACTLY what I told you in a PM about 5 days ago, you're too quick to think that everything is about you and then start shouting and then people get on the defensive and it all starts again.

Right, once again. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE REPLYING TO THIS POST ON THE FORUM.

This thread is for NEWS AND ARTICLES. Lets get back on topic.

PS: no, I have not opened all 8 reported posts to see which post they were specifically referring to.

#3,879 ·
Guys, here is the translation. As you can see it's long, so it's not perfect ;) Enjoy!

Mens Health Magazine, July 2010

Smart Exit

When he went on court we didn't know how the match is going to end, but we knew for sure – we will not be able to stop watching. When last year he left the big sport we didn't know what will happen next. Nine months after the career end of the brightest Russian tennis player Marat Safin we met him to make things clear – what it is to start new life at the age of 30 and waht are the biggest wins in the past.

If it was up to Marat himself, there would be no tennis in his life. The boy dreamed about football since his childhood and even went to the children training school Spartak. " I went there for month and a half, while they were making a team, but they didn't pick me. Hence I had to start with tennis. After five years I learned that this was staged – my mom arranged for me not to be picked. She did great, and made the right decision, because in football for me there would be much less chances".
Well, soon Marat wasn't picked also in Nick Bolletieri's famous academy, because they didn't see the future start in Marat. "When I went there for review, there were already Kournikova, Sampras, Courier, Agassi, Rios, Max Mirniy. After a month and a half I was told that I will not go up and sent me back to Russia".
International education Marat did receive after all.
"In 1994 we had nothing good: no courts, no rackets, no balls. My parents didn't have the money to send me to school abroad, but they helped my father – they have found a Swiss man, who I haven't seen in my life. This man, to whom I am extremely grateful, decided to help a boy from Russia – to give money for practice. I think this is great deed – to simply support a person, who is a total stranger to you. So in 1994 I went to Spain, in Pancio Alvarina's academy in Valencia.
I lived in a family, where I had a room, and I was practicing from dusk till down. The first half year I went crazy: at the age of 14 I was in a foreign country, in a family, where they speak Spanish, and I speak a bad English and Russian only. I didn't understand anything, but in the childhood years one picks up very quick. Communicating and watching TV I remembered words. It got easier, when I started having friends. I had to spend money to go somewhere during the weekends, and not to feel completely poor – I had a monthly allowance of $ 60. If now you mention this amount to someone, they would laugh".

In Safin's biography that's the year of the first tournament won, but few months before he lifted the prize Marat was sure that he is done with tennis in his life: after three years training in a tennis academy, people stooped believing that he will achieve serious success.
"In 1997 the sponsor said that since there is no progress, there would be no more financing. That meant going home. And he went home with blurry idea of what will he do next and with very clear understanding that he didn't become a professional tennis player.
"I planned to try enroll a college in the USA, to get a sport scholarship – and education grant. I was very afraid to go into the nowhere. Then I got lucky – they called me from IMG (note: one of the biggest sports agencies in sports world) and told me that they could give wild card (note: a chance for tournament participation to a player with no rating) to the junior Roland Garros. One can't refuse such a chance, despite that I haven't practiced in two months."
He got $500 from his mom and went at a venture, but there was no miracle and he lost in first round. He didn't collect points, but he convinced the IMG agents not to double cross him. "I was going and purely begging. At the end of the day they gave me around $7500 – good money, so that I could go on few more tournaments". Now that was the question – where to go to?
There are many tennis tournaments in the world and without a coach and experience it is hard to decide where to play, and where not. Even more so, when you are in the middle of 5th hundred in the rating and nobody has interests in you. Marat again got lucky.
"I went to the Netherlands to satellites – 4 tournaments, after end of whose one could play masters and collect points. There I was taken care of more experienced players – guys from France and Argentine. They saw: a young guy, with no coach and decided to help me. They made a plan for me for the near future – where and when is the best to play. I took this plan and followed it strictly. The mens tennis is like a big family. Since it is very hard to break through, it is easier to stay with the crowd. The more people you know, the easier it is – if someone has an apartment in the tournament's city, you could save on hotel costs. At someone's place you could sleep on a stretch coach, at other's place – you sleep on the floor. At the women's tour there is no such thing – the relations there are different.
After a month the results came, and I started earning little by little: two thousands here, one and a half there. I was lucky so many times! Like you play bad, but all of a sudden you accidentally win. That happened with the first won challenger (note Challenger series, Portugal, 27 March 1997). All started with the fact that they didn't want to get me on a plane. I had to find the manager and beg him saying that this is my last chance. After all they gave me a seat with the cabin crew. I arrived at the tournament at 5 a.m., my first match started at 10 a.m. and I won it by miracle, so did it go further with the tournament.
From one side – this is luck. But on the other side: in order to use the chances one has to be ready. I was always ready. Many people just don't see their luck. Like in that anecdote: at least buy a lottery ticket. One has to be tenacious, to have a character – and all will come.
When I borrowed money for Roland Garros I was 450th and ended the year at 200th with earned $ 10 000 – 15 000 to start the new year and pay a coach. There were even some money left to buy and old, hit by the door, VW Golf for one and half thousand and rent an apartment in Valencia for $ 500. It is easier to fly to tournaments from there, than from Moscow”.

Winnie the Pooh said that “so suddenly no one goes away”, but the 20-year-old Safin, who won the US Open and became the youngest tennis player in history to become Nr. 1 in ATP rating, decided that this is the best time to retire. At that time he was thinking that it's best to go away at the fame's peek and open an automobile service center and a shop for office equipment.
“At that time I have been alone for 6 years – explains Marat – And it happened that at this exact moment I had no close people around me. I had no one to talk, to discuss it. The US Open win seemed to me like the highest level of a computer game – I have passed it, and now what?
I have never had the goal to be Nr. 1. To me that was like flying to the moon. When that happened I needed a new impulse, because it's one thing to achieve something, and another to remain on top. The latter is harder, because when you have nothing to lose, you just go to your goal, but when there is something to lose – you start to chicken out.
Thank God, then there were people, who every discreetly directed me to the right decisions. Yet again I was lucky. It is very easy to make a mistake – and soon you will be sitting God-knows-where and being fat.”
After that success it came the expected decline: year 2001 Safin ended 11th having won only 2 small tournaments. But in the other parts of life all went well: a home in Spain, 5 cars, including Ferrari, Mercedes and Audi, apartments. Live and enjoy, the hell with it, with the rating! But Safin sells it all and leaves Spain.
“All that was a big headache. All that cars are absolutely unnecessary. Now I am driving an old Mercedes and old Cayenne. Sometimes policemen ask me 'Why do you drive old cars?' I don't need them - I had it all already. Probably everyone should go through that sickness. Money should be used, but in no way they should become meaning of life. It is pity in our country many people haven't understood that and they live only for the sake of money.”
In the next year they have stolen Marat's BMW, then two jeeps and robbed his apartment. He took it philosophically, and knowing himself, won on court and ended the year one step below the top.

Marat has 15 titles on his shoulders, 10 finals and millions as prize money – that all for 9 seasons “adult” career. The other result of 9 years professional career is in his medical card. Every season is 11 moths non-stop flights, practices and 4-5 hour matches under the hot sun. It gets harder for Marat – not to play, but to walk – and the question of retirement appears again.
“I had a problem – I won the AO and after a month my knee started hurting. I thought: I will suffer for a while – it'll go away, but every time it got worse. In three months before every match I took 1600 mg painkillers, that lasts for one set, and after that I took another 400 mg. They were freezing my knee, so that I wouldn't feel it, but for how long one could live in such regime? 2000 – 3000 mg painkillers per day and after a while the body will stop. I couldn't run, I couldn't drive, I couldn't sleep on my belly.
At the medical check in Italy they told me that a surgery is possible, but there are no guarantees – I could start running, or I could become disabled. They said: try not to do anything now, if you can't play professionally in an year, you could be able to play football with your friends. I was fine with that.
At the end, I did come back on court, but I understood clearly that I can't go back to the previous level – the speed was lost, I can't break at times, because all of the time I am thinking about the knee. And what for are all those sufferings?”

According to Safin the reason he didn't retire in 2006 was the simple thought: “I am leaving tennis – and tomorrow no one will need me”. That is why he came back an despite the injuries he kept on playing at high level. Half an year before his retirement in 2009 he was 20th in the world. But Marat knew that this would be his last year in tennis and early on started preparations, including morally.
“I went deep into the organizational matters, even though I knew a lot. Tennis is a perfect basis for a further career: you travel, learn languages, meet different people. New horizons open and one should only set goals.
When I was playing, I made a plan for every week, because you never know when this or that tournament will end for you. You set a goal: to win one match, two matches, to collect points. This is very delicate thing and such a goal understanding helps one to realize what is extra in your life, who and what are bothering you. This has a disciplining effect, but from that rhythm is hard to move on. Two months after career end I still planned the day so that I could lay until noon and get up at an exact time. When you have been in the army for 25 years (I am in tennis since I was 5), long after you keep on having a straight posture. This is disciplining you a lot!
I thought: a month without practice and + 10 kilos. Actually I started eating less, and as practice I have only football matches with friends, I not just didn't gain weight, I lost 5 kilos. See – my jeans are loose.
Step by step you start see yourself in a different perspective - not as an athlete, who can do something for himself and his career, but as a person, who can do something for the sport. This is what is interesting to me now, because I know the inside very well, and see how I can improve it. There are so many plans.
In September there will be opening of a tennis academy on Crocus Expo. Now there are 4 courts, another 8 are being built. This is just the beginning. I hired guys, whom I have played with time ago. I have set to them a goal to grow a player in 5 years. We try to gather talented, understanding coaches, because should be taught many things beside tennis game. It's game – it' snot just forehand, backhand, that's a life – life path that should be used in the right way. There are always bad people around, who can quickly spend all the money. It is important for the kid to have someone, who has been through that already. The Bolletieri Academy's format is correct one. They didn't pick me? No one is insured against mistakes. The way the process is built there, the coaches that they have – it's a very high level. If the conditions were bad, there would not go there so many starts.
We have no such places in Russia, and the kids had to go abroad, but how many can afford that? Many kids from the country cannot even get to Moscow. There must be selection across the whole country, an infrastructure – all this I want to develop. We try to create conditions, so that people could train in their regions. In Spain no one has to go anywhere, neither they have to leave the family. There is no need to send the kid nowhere. They have it all.
I would like to get kids from the junior age, so that they could be taught the right understanding and values. If to us comes a 10-year old “genius” on “bach semmark” (spelling?), wearing “Patek Filippe”, who shouts to the driver, because he didn't open him the door – we immediately say “good-bye” to that kid.
There need to be the right conditions and coaches. I understand that is hard to motivate someone, who has fixed salary, so that I will create a format for the coaches to continue work on themselves in their free time, and this to be valuable to the kids. In Russia the sports infrastructure is weak, but there is one. People love the game, but a lot of work has to be done . I am ready, I want that, this is interesting to me now. In the plans there is also a big tournament in Russia, since in the whole country we have only 2 tournaments, while in the States there are 15.
All this is complicated but now I have the time. We try to help also athletes, who are disabled, we have a fund since 2004. Generally, my feeling is that my career didn't end an year ago, but on the contrary – it is all just starting”.

#3,881 ·
Guys, here is the translation. As you can see it's long, so it's not perfect ;) Enjoy!
This is a really engaging article, Annie, thanks for the translation! :yeah: I found these bits particularly interesting.

"Men's tennis is like a big family. Since it's very hard to break through, it's easier to stay with the crowd. The more people you know, the easier it is – if someone had an apartment in the tournament's city, you could save on hotel costs. At someone's place you could sleep on a stretch couch, at another's place, you sleep on the floor. On the women's tour there's no such thing, the relations there are different."
" ... I was lucky so many times! Like you play bad, but all of a sudden you accidentally win. That happened with the first challenger I won. It all started with the fact that they didn't want to get me on a plane. I had to find the manager and beg him saying that this is my last chance. Finally they gave me a seat with the cabin crew. I arrived at the tournament at 5 am, my first match started at 10 am and I won it by a miracle, so did it go further with the tournament. On the one hand – this is luck. On the other, in order to use the chances, one has to be ready. I was always ready."
... the 20-year-old Safin, who won the US Open and became the youngest tennis player in history to reach No. 1 in the ATP rankings, decided that this is the best time to retire. At that time he was thinking it's best to go away at the peak of fame and open an automobile service center and a shop for office equipment. :eek: Marat explains “At that time I'd been alone for 6 years, and it happened that at this exact moment I had no close people around me. I had no one to talk to, to discuss it with. :awww: The US Open win seemed to me like the highest level of a computer game – I've passed it, now what?"
Step by step you start see yourself in a different perspective - not as an athlete, who can do something for himself and his career, but as a person, who can do something for the sport. This is what interests me now, because I know the inside very well, and I see how I can improve it. There are so many plans ... Generally, my feeling is that my career didn't end a year ago. On the contrary, it's all just beginning”.

#3,889 · (Edited)
Second part of the chat/articles on sports.ru http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/svoimi_slovami/92331.html
with few new pics ;)
I'll try to translate both parts these days, time-permitting...

edit: here is part 1 of the translation, I'll add part 2 here, as well. The text in Italic is by sports.ru

my note: Marat, please stop bashing on my beloved Italian football team :mad: :fiery: You cannot compare Italians to Germans - they have such a different style :help:

Part 1 Sports. Ru online chat

Marat Safin: "We have to start respecting each other"

- M: Good morning to all, despite it is a rainy one.

The Q&A started right away on high speed.

- Q: Do you get annoyed by the cliche questions, being repeated at every interview, and do you have cliche answers to them or do you improvise? What is harder: to be a public figure in sport or in your current job? What is the similarity and the difference?

- M: Like questions, like answers, one cannot think out of something special. Since the age of 12 one has to answer one and the same questions – unfortunately, no one even thinks to ask a normal question. Many questions had no relation.

Here I noticed that the questions today will not come from journalists.

- M: They have the ability to get insulted, they are all so sensitive. No, there are interesting questions, but they are so few compared to the standard ones.

We, the team of sports.ru – Inna German, Sergey Gilyov and I – looked at each other and decide that today we will not feel offended.

- Q: Is there a match in your career, which you want to replay and play it differently?
- Q: Is there a question that you would like to be asked, but they keep asking you other things?

- M: It is better to live things as they are – why should one think about the past, one has to live for the future. The past is already in the past. The whole life is in front and hopefully, the life will be long, why should one dig in the past. Everything that happened is in the past – well, we could be different people, if something happened in a different way, but I am fine with myself.
- M: I prefer to improvise, and it'd be better if a question surprises me, rather than sit and think of a question and after that answer it myself.

- Q: Did the Paraguayan football team surprised you yesterday? - I asked Marat.
- M: They are fighters, but the Italians scored at the end of the game (gets excited). I said it yesterday: they will score in the last minute, probably by a penalty shot. Like the Germans, so are the Italians – they always end the same way – in the last minutes, in an unknown way they score either by penalty, or they hit someone and - a goal.

Sergey suggested to Marat to send all our readers a brief video. Marat did it. This video and other pictures of Marat you can find on the forum.

- Q: Will there be new tournaments in Russia? What are the future perspectives of Kremlin Cup? How is going the organization process of the new tournament in Kazan?
- M: The fact that we need a tournament is certain – we need to engage people to tennis, develop it, go to the country – that's there our future is. That is valid also for the basketball, volleyball and all sports. Our country is large, but there are 4 distinct cities in it, and one could train professionally only in one – in Moscow. Not many people can afford living in Moscow. It happens that we cut out many talented kids from the sport, other business types, science and art. People just can't get to Moscow, or even if they get to it, they don't live a life, but an imprisonment.
Now we are processing the work on the Kazan tournament. When something specific happens, I will tell. I would like it by 2015 Kremlin Cup's and St. Petersburg's rating to rise. The Kremlin Cup's level and significance fell a little bit and about St. Petersburg I will not even talk – it's dramatic. Let's first rise the ratings of these tournaments, because they are our business card, and after that we will organize another. The business card of the USA is US Open and the Super 9, and ours is the tournaments in Moscow and St. Petersburg, there is a difference. There are things to be worked on, there are goals to be achieved. In the future we might think about developing tournaments in other regions.

- Q: If you can pick to meet three people, whom you have never met – who you'd pick?
- M: What's the point? Well, I'll meet them, we'll talk, and what next?

I asked: "What about Medvedev, in order to solve a problem with financing?" To which I got surprisingly long answer:
- M: We will still have the same problems, we have now. He will not solve everything. I am tired of everyone dreaming to go to Kremlin, to go to Medvedev or Putin. This is not a problem resolving method. He would give instruction, and further you will have to go the same offices. In our country people love to say to Medvedev "We want.. ", for example like Dibrov on MuzTV. I understand that he is respected person and I think he is smart and educated, but what was that?

Q: How could be solved problems here? Like in the States?
- M: We have to respect each other. When we acquire a little bit of culture in the behavior towards each other, then everything will start to move in the country. If we run to Medvedev or Putin and beg and whine, that something is bad – this will not solve anything. We have incorrect state of mind in the roots of it. In the States, generally speaking, everybody dreams to be a millionaire, here people dream to steal a billion.

- Q: During Serbia Open you were seen on the stands with Gerard Butler. Are you friends with him? Who else from the movie world do you know? Were you offered to play in a movie?
- M: I just met Butler – he came to the tournament, we have a common acquaintance, and an acquaintance of the acquaintance is his assistant – she is Russian. I know ours – Nikita Mihalkov, Sergey Bezrukov, for example. Everyone has to work in his field, I think (that commenting on him playing in a movie). I have seen Brad Pitt, I set with Salma Hayek on one table in Paris. They are normal people, but they have such a huge and correct PR image, that they seem untouchable, but they are just like all of us.

- Q: Do you watch the football World Cup? If so, who do you cheer for?
- M: I cheer for Spain, but I am not die hard fan. So far I haven't seen interesting matches. I hope the next one will be more interesting.

The fact that Marat is not die hard is sure, since he came to us wearing a yellow shirt of the Brazil team, with Nr 9 on it. He said that a fan gave it to him, and he likes it very much. We liked it too.

- Q: Hi, Marat. Please advise, isn't it too late to give my niece in tennis at the age of 8 (aiming at a professional career)?
- M: What aim at professional career at the age of 8? At this age the kid could go to tennis to enjoy it. Let's say that there is already a wrong approach. One should in no way think of a 8-year-old kid as a business project, or everything will end bad and at 15 the kid will send his mom and dad far away. he/she'd say that he/she doesn't have to do anything, that they are not interested, so please go and play tennis yourself. The child must enjoy it, and at the age of 8 no one could tell what will come out of the kid.

- Q: Did they think of you as a business project?

- M: I had an opportunity to go study and play for an US university or college for free via my school. The school director was behaving well to me, and she knew that I play tennis. At that time Spain got tight for me, my parents were helping me, but no one knew, whether I'll become professional or not, despite that I was Nr. 1 or Nr. 2 in USSR. And this girl, who never had played tennis, wants to know whether she'll be professional. Until 14, even until 17, I didn't know whether I'll succeed or not. My parents were helping not because they thought I'll play. They did all to develop my skills. Parents must do everything to develop the skills the kid has, and where he/she will go next – no one knows.

- Q: You participate in commercials so rarely. Do you have plans to be in some kind of advertising projects? Do you get offers to advertise what not?
- M: I don't think of such options. I want to deal not with commercials, but with organizational sport activities – like a VP of tennis federation, in the Olympic Committee. I will not be in commercials for boxers or handkerchiefs.

Sergey noted that Ronaldo and Beckham advertise Armani.
- M: Well, let them. To me this is not an indicator.

Inna asked "What would you agree to advertise?"
M: Watches are a good option. I don't know in what type of commercials I could be in, but definitely not in boxers or bras. Of course, everyone has a view and approach. To me Beckham and Ronaldo are respected people, and it is not an indicator.

Q: At first I'd like to wish you all the best, we all cheer for you. Now you are a veteran. How do you feel about it? What changed for you? And secondly – don't you think that you ended your professional career too soon? Probably you could play another year or two? Or you had enough of it? And thirdly, please, name, if it's not too hard, your most memorable final, the one you remember mostly. And why it? Probably because of the adversary? Or something else?
M: The new field – the new life, is very interesting. I think I made the right choice, with which I am perfectly fine, and I don't feel myself a veteran. Now instead of practicing, I do organizational work. In Sep-Oct we will open a tennis academy in Crocus, on MKAD, I decided to help guys, who I grew up with. We plan to make a nice place with reasonable prices for sport activities with full spectrum of services – with courts, 4-star hotel, food. The prices depend on the chosen by the parents and kids programs. In the hotel there will be discounts too.

Sergey asked what is the status of the tennis academy in Kazan. The building is ready, but there are no coaches; the kids, of course, don't go there and there are no practices. In Moscow the coaches earn $ 10 000 at least. To find even 5 coaches, and convince them to relocate to Kazan is a big problem, which again should be solved by Marat.
- M: No, I don't think I retired early. I had injuries, it is hard to play injured all the time – constantly something is aching, something is not right. As the years pass by, you start to understand that you get more slow and it's hard to compete with the young ones. The tennis in Russia had to be developed, so I took the decision and that's why I am here, in Russia.
All finals are significant for me – I didn't win that many tournaments.

- Q: How soon do you plan to get married? What is the root of the name of Dinara's cat Fenusya (or something)?
- M: I bought the cat, she now has a passport, a pedigree and a name. She is British. I don't plan to get married for now.

- Q: Are there any request (for example from Shamil Tarpischev) to play privately a set or two with Putin, Medvedev (or someone else from the top) in order to make them interested in tennis and get money? If it's not a secret, tell how that was. Were there offers from print houses/journalists to write an autobiography with juicy details? Do you know/study Tatar language.
- M: That's how people here think – he played with Medvedev, got money and went away. The problem is in our minds. It's sad that people have this view about tennis. To play tennis is one thing, to get salvage is completely different thing. Do you know how many people ask them for money, and how many people go to Putin? I didn't play with Putin on the Legends tournament, but I played blitz tournaments with Luzhkov, Dmitriev and others. But that wasn't to go and beg for money.

I don't like the glamor and the yellow press, and it is too early to write about myself. If someone is writing, probably they overestimate themselves? I think that one has to reach some kind of heights, and not to write memoirs at 30.

I don't know Tatar language (except for few words) and I don't study it. I didn't learn it, because I spent little time with my granny and she couldn't teach me.

The discussion continued around the fact that Marat is fit, we thought he even lost weight after retirement. Are there plans to attach a 8K mountain peak?

- M: An 8000m peak is hard, very hard. That's a lot of work for half an year. That's not a walk in the park, as some might think – he went there, walked up, walked down for a day. To altitude 5600m, where the base camp is, you travel by car, and further 2500 m you walk up for three weeks. And you have to train – went up, went down, slept, two days relax, got everything in norm, and again but this time higher - went up, went down and so on. It is real work.

- Q: Recently Marc Rosset admitted that he likes Moscow due to the services of the best tour guide named Marat Safin. Marc said that he feels ashamed about the brightest memories he has. Marat, I work in a travel agency making Moscow tours. How do you think, should our company feel threatened about one more competitor entering the field, or was this a one-time extra work?
- M: In no way I would hurt your business. I don't know why Rosset would feel ashamed, probably for his behavior (smiles)

Inna asked: "Is Marc so bad?"
- M: All Marcs are bad after dark (laughs)

- Q: Marat do you believe in the friendship between Nadal and Federer?
- M: They behave good towards each other. They don't live together in one room (smiles), but they are nice to each other, they talk. Absolutely honestly.

Sergey notices that now tennis players are more boring, compared to Marat's generation. Is that so?

M: Earlier, it was much more interesting. Now the approach is different, the game is ultra professional, everybody travels with a 4-5 people team. It appears that everyone is in it's own circle. Earlier, after a tournament the guys gathered, took a big table and spend the days off together. We gathered Australians, Argentinians, Americans, guys from Europe were interesting too. After dinner we hanged out. I caught some of that time. There were for example Rafter, Filipousis, Kuerten. There was wine, but there were no alcoholics among is, if that's what you hint on. To play under the sun in 40 C heat would be impossible. One would go out and die.

- Q: Do you plan to make Legends matches during Kremlin Cup? Will you come to support Russian team during the Davis Cup tie vs. Argentine?
- M: I work on that, so I think, yes. Absolutely.

Part 2 Sports. Ru online chat

Marat Safin: I was lucky to get into sport

The mood of the discussion between Marat Safin and Sports.ru readers could be divided in two. In the second part Marat, our users and we, so to say "got around" each other and the talk was very casual.

- Q: Who do you think is the most attractive female tennis player ( besides your sister, no question about it)? How do you like Flavia Pennetta?
- M: I don't know what to answer, since I don't view tennis players from the point of wooing. Pennetta is not my type.

– Q: Probably you were asked that many times: if you didn't become a tennis player, what would you like to become?
- M: Having in mind the perspectives that I had in the 90s, the maximum I could be is taxi driver. There were no other options back then. Or some kind of criminal. How else one could earn money in the 90s? There was no other choice. There was no money. How old are you (asked he Sergey)? 30? So, you understand. Where do you come from? From Izhevsk? O, from there is our Golubyev.
We started talking what could be worked in the 90s in our country and in Izhevsk. We came to the conclusion that one could also sell music CDs (what Sergey did) or Kalashnikovs (which, of course, he didn't).

- M: We all went through that, there were no other options. I was lucky to get into sport.

- Q: Marat, why don't you go to charity events, like the World Kids "Victory games"- these are sport competitions for kids, who survived cancer diseases, but you can always be seen on glamorous events like Premium MuzTv 2010.
- M: Did someone ever showed interest in the fact that I have a charity fund too? No one is interested in that – and why should I go to other people's charity events, when they don't come to mine? Like question, like answer.
I have established with my friend and partner a "Tavern at Taras Bulba" – do you know it? (it seem sthat there is one near on Ordynka). Well, enter the tavern and see what charity box is there next to the door and what information is written. When you read, you will understand. Some people say that we steal money from there (indignantly), and my friends annual donates few hundred thousands of dollars, to "repair" former athletes!
Here one doesn't want to do charity, because they think that constantly someone is cheating about something. And what about those glamorous parties and charity funds – ok, fine, what about them? We also want to do PR, but unfortunately no one knows about us. (here I promised that now people will learn).

- Q: If you had the chance to manage your own ATP tournaments in 3 places in the world, what would the places be? What specific differences would you like to see there?

- Q: The contemporary leaders in tennis tour are very distinct from the former leaders (Agassi, Sampras, Conners, McCanroe) by their political correctness. How do you value the work of the teams of image-makers? How you think – does the player's individuality gets lost this way?

- Q: If you had to share your life experience with the young tennis players, what are the three things, not related to the practice, that you would mention.

- M: I would like the tournaments to be in Russia, we have a big country, and tennis is a popular sport. Do not write Moscow or Kazan – write "in Russia" (stresses on it). There is no need to discredit other cities, because if we start writing Sochi, Kazan, St. Petersburg, Moscow, the people will say – and what are we?

– M: No one has image makers. It's just that the guys turned super-professional, the people left are pure machines. Earlier people were different, now they are all copies, except for few ones.

- M: One need to set priorities in life – what do you want, where do you want to go, and honestly to think – do you want it or not. One has to be frank with themselves. There is no point of cheating – yeah, I want it, but I am lazy. What should be worked on is a question to the coaches. They should teach kids the tennis game, and not the parents.

- What if the the parents are coaches? - I asked.

- M: if the parents are coaches, that's bad. Parents have never played tennis and try to teach the kids – that's very bad.

– Your mom is a professional coach.
- M: It doesn't matter, sooner or later this will lead to bad things. The parents should remain parents, and the coaches should be coaches.

- Q: Marat, what do you specifically organize at the moment? What are you responsible for? What would you like to organize, and be responsible for?
- M: Organization of a structure by which our kids could become stars without leaving the country. Go to the website and read the articles of association of the Tennis Federation or any other federation – the responsibilities of the VP are fully explained. Google it.

Answering a question about playing doubles with Dinara, Marat said that she has more chances with another partner. Answering a comment that Pennetta considers herself the most attractive tennis player, Marat smiling said that she was staged by TV paparazzi, who work in bars and mislead poor girls, and his name was mixed. Marat himself saw such type of journalists not just in a TV broadcast, like it was in Pennetta's case. He even described them, in case you happen to be in Spanish or Italian bar – 4-5 guys, dressed in black suits and ties, with sunglasses
Asked about Andy Roddick and what does Safin think of him as a player and as a person, Marat said that Roddick is a nice guy, whom he would like to meet more often. Marat as asked what he dreams lately, to which he replied that lately he has no dreams, and that it's strange. We assured him that this is due to clean conscience and it's normal.

- Q: What do you think of the comparisons to you? For example, you are compared to Juan Martin del Potro, a tall guy with good service, shined on US Open. How do you estimate his possible comeback? Or, for now they started comparing you to Gulbis. Do you know about that? How do you think?
-M: I am for Gulbis (talks excitengly), I like him a lot. We have a similar game, though he is more powerful than I am, he is another generation. I gave him my coach Gummy, with whom I have worked year and a half, my managers. The result is already there – he was 109th now he is round top 20. Unfortunately he got injured and had to miss RG and it's not known, whether he will play on Wimbledon. I think he should be in top 10.

When asked, does he considers his win over the "scary" Federer an important one, Marat said "Of course, to me it was. It was important".

Sergey and I asked, whether foreigners understand our words. It turns out all tennis players know few words in the many languages' of their partners and adversaries. Well, you know, what words. For example, in Spain, many of the words that we try not use in front of women and kids are used quite common and do not insult anyone. We remembered about Hemingway. Actually we would ask Marat many things, but the question was short.

- Q: What is going on with Dinara? We feel for her... Will she work with the coach from Argentine, or she has other plans?
- M: She had trouble with the spine – a stressed fracture, and now she just lacks playing practice. A time is needed to go into the game again, to get the rhythm, to play, and then the results could be expected. It is impossible to go out and win right after a break. Regarding the coach: if they understand each other and have the same idea, then all will come to its place. Now they work, all is well.

- Q: Marat, what is your biggest weakness? What are you afraid most of in life?
- M: People's weaknesses are not discussed, and what I am afraid of? - I am afraid to die a painful death. I'd like to die my own death. (note: meaning: his own kind of death).

- Q: With whom of the male and female tennis players you still have good relations?
- M: In terms of calling or texting someone – probably not. If I meet someone somewhere, then I'm glad. Many people don't answer phone calls – and that's in order. I am friends with Escude, I sent him an SMS, he got it after a month and replied. The same with Marc Rosset. But when I fly to some town, or some of the players come to Moscow, we have full respect to each other and do whatever necessary. I flew to Brazil and called Kuerten, in New York – called Courier or Filipousos, he lives there. We know everywhere whom to call.

Asked by an user is that true that Svetlana Kuznetsova is a party girl and very cool, Marat said "That's right! She is nice girl, interested in music, mostly RnB". Inna asked is that true that she has a tattoo "God will be your judge", Marat said that he hasn't read.

- Q: Marat, what was the last movie you saw?
- M: Robin Hood – complete nonsense. I saw Mihalkov's new one – the same thing. Avatar caught my attention, so did Alice in Wonderland, of course all in 3D. The rest is all avergage – with no meaning, no script, no idea. In short, there is nothing to see in general.

Marat goes to the movies on Leningradka, behind MKAD and in "October"
I asked Marat what does he think of lipsynching?

- M: It makes me sick. Ours should see how Americans work on their concerts – George Michael, Collins, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, they all work without lipsynching – I was on their best shows. I saw Mettalica in Houston, Red Hot Chili Peppers in London, Collins and Michael – here. Lady Gaga is non-sense too, she lipsynches too.

So, what in our show business there is no one?

- M: From what I saw I liked MakSim.
Inna interrupted – how is MakSim better than Lady Gaga?
- M: She is trying to do something on our pop scene, she has normal lyrics. I like Nyusha, she had a cool song coming out – "Don't interrupt me" – she ingrained. It's a light one, could be listened to, while driving a car.

Marat quickly found the song he likes on youtube, which was posted on sports.ru

- M: I also liked Tatu. It was nice that ours are known abroad. People talk – see Belan, but in the Sates they ask me - who is he? They new Tatu, despite that they spelled them T.A.t.u., When I mention them in States, they ask again, and go: oh, T.A.t.u.! They still know Gorky Park. I'd like to see Russian play in Hyde Park, Madisson Swuare Garden. When Russians tour in the States they play in russian clubs – that's spoiling.

When asked what's greater to win a GS or be Nr. 1, Marat replied that one without the other is not desirable option, because you feel that something is missing. One has to win at least one. He remembered Rios, who was extraordinary tennis player, but didn't win a GS.
The questions were pouring and we were afraid that Marat would remember about an important meeting, because the agreed one-hour period has long passed by.
Asked whether he knew that Davydenko is so good, Marat stated that Davydenko is great and he knew is 5 years ago. He was certain that he'll be top 10.
Asked what does he think about the curses on court, he replied with a contra-question – The people who ask this, don't they curse in their job? Especially, when they don't feel well and they are being insulted? If they express themselves in a different way – let them suggest how they do it.

- Q: In your opinion, in the near future who could take the crown of Clay King Nadal? What's the happiest day in your life?
- M: the happiest days is still ahead, and Nadal will not be taken down, until on the scene appears the same type of guy, but younger – ambitious, probably with the same technic, probably with another. Then there will be new Federer, new Nadal – the kids that now grow up watching their matches.
I grew up watching matches of Krajcek, Ivanisevic, Becker, McCanroe. Then I reached some level. Someone else grew up watching me – Nadal, Gulbis. They went further, because when they were watching us, they understood that they need to play better, in order to fight with us. Since childhood they have different habbits and approach.
The ones that now watch Nadal and Federer will be even better. And so on/ There will be progress, no question about it – our brain will always go beyond our imagination. Now there are couple of players – Del Potro, for example, Soderling is playing well, and the more you expands the spectrum of the weapons you have, the bigger chance you will have.

At this moment started spreading his arms wide, almost to the whole width of the room, to show us how many weapons do Federer and Nadal have. About Del Potro the spectrum turned less, because "he breaks" (injures).
Asked how much should be the price for courts in Moscow, Marat said "It'll never be fine for everyone, but the price should be lower".

Marat told us that the on the tennis court market are valid the same rules as on real estate market – someone lets the courts and later sublets them in order to gain double and triple prices in some cases. The price also depends on the service spectrum offered on teh different courts. The state cannot be responsible for it, because it has bigger problems to deal with. One has to understand whom one shall work with, and find a format, to work with these commercial structures, who are ready to give its share and help tennis development.
Marat was asked about the watch he is wearing. He replied that he bought them in Thailand for 20 dollars and probably are fake.

To disspell all doubt Marat took the watch off and gave it to me. I don't know anything about watches, so I gave them back to him. I liked the Marat's one though – with big zifferblatt and very light. Sergey offered to give them as a prize, but Marat didn't agree.
"in Thailand now they fight, so I will not go there to buy watches" – joked Safin.
We suddenly remembered about time and we had to say good-bye.

- M: Thank you all, who do not work in our country, all are sitting in front of the computers and show interest in sport. That makes me happy. I wish a lovely rainy day. Good luck, happiness and the most important - health"

Marat signed balls for the users with the most interesting questions, and later by old tradition we went to the "shooting wall" (named so by Tarpischev) to make pictures.

#3,898 ·
Fab translation, thank you once again!

Q: How soon do you plan to get married? What is the root of the name of Dinara's cat Fenusya (or something)?
M: I bought the cat, she now has a passport, a pedigree and a name. She is British. I don't plan to get married for now.
Sounds like he answered on autopilot. :lol:

#3,900 ·
Part 2 is up :)

You're welcome, guys :wavey:

Sounds like he answered on autopilot. :lol:
at times he did :) just like talking "noun, noun, adjective" and no verb :lol:

such a great article with so much insight!
:wavey:
I'll hope you will like the online chat, too.. it is interesting at times, though the MH article is better.

In other news, I've found this - apparently Marat is playing an exho in Taiwan vs. Agassi in January, tix go on sale next week (I don't think this has been posted yet, but sorry if it has!)
The news broke few days ago, but for some reason I wouldn't believe it so soon :scratch: :p

#3,902 ·
Part 2 is up :)
The news broke few days ago, but for some reason I wouldn't believe it so soon :scratch: :p
The news is true and part of tickets will begin to sale from June 21 to June 24. And because Marat had the record to withdraw exho, it is said that Integration Sports is very very careful when making the contract with Marat to insure he will show up.:lol::lol:

#3,899 ·
AnnieNik - :worship: you are amazing - such a great article with so much insight! thank you so much... I've only been able to read it quickly on my ipod, can't wait to read it again later today when I have some time on my computer :)

In other news, I've found this - apparently Marat is playing an exho in Taiwan vs. Agassi in January, tix go on sale next week (I don't think this has been posted yet, but sorry if it has!)

http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebN...020&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.